So Far I Have Only Used One Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TomAllyn, Jun 19, 2018.

1. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

So far I've only used a Semogue Owners Club Boar Bristle Shaving Brush, Ash Wood. I've only been shaving less than a week and a half. The first couple days I used it I was beginning to think I may have made a mistake because I was having trouble making a decent lather. That has since changed. I now feel like if it was the only brush I ever owned I would be satisfied. Matter of fact having read about how scritchy boar brushes "are" I have been pleasantly surprised as since day one I've wondered what people are talking about and have had difficulty imagining a less scritchy brush.

Obviously, I don't have any other reference - however at least when it comes to some things I'd like to think I'm not difficult to please. Since purchasing this brush I've also purchased one of the Stirling synthetic brushes which I've not tried yet. I've not tried the Stirling because I am sticking to the same everything for 4 weeks.

So I've been looking for a Silvertip Badger, because of how great I keep reading good ones are. However, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking why should I bother if I feel like I could be happy the Semogue Owners Club Boar Bristle Shaving Brush, Ash Wood.

I'm a person regardless of how much money I have who is always looking out to save money.

So my question is should I even be bothered trying a silvertip instead of something like a 2 band, finest, pure or another badger because I do want at least one badger brush?

Do you all have any recommendations?

I'd really like to find a vintage brush or handle I could purchase a knot for. I also plan as soon as time and life permit to begin looking at local antique shops for brushes and such that I can use or trade.

john zeiger, RyX, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A well broken in boar is a super pleasurable brush to use.

If you want to try a badger, I would recommend trying a 2 Band Finest first. Please don’t get hung up on the term Silvertip. So many new wet shavers want a “Silvertip” because they hear it’s the best, don’t want to spend much money for an experiment, buy a lower end one, and then are unhappy cause they are floppy, or not dense.

Finest badgers tend to have more backbone, and some are every bit as soft as a Silvertip. Bang for the buck, I would recommend them to a newer shaver every single time.

I am a huge fan of the Finests sold by Stirling, which are rebranded Yaqis. Either of these will get you a brush that performs like it cost $100, but won’t set you back more than $40.

Other well spoken of brands that won’t break the bank are Maseto, and RazoRock (Re-branded Zenith).

RyX, brit, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I used just one brush for many months when I first started wet shaving. And it was a boar brush.

Brushes were the last piece of gear that I eventually multiplied.

Today I have several and most are boar.

Semogue makes a great brush so it’s no surprise that you’re happy with it.

But, like you, I wanted a vintage handle with a new knot so I kept my eyes open and now I enjoy a few. Just be patient and don’t feel like you have to grab the first one that comes along.

RyX, AGHisBBS, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I haven’t tried a badger brush yet because I became a big fan of boar brushes.

Once broken in, a boar brush is a pleasure to use. Plenty of backbone to whip up a great lather, holds water and lather for several passes, soft enough on the face, and durable. Semouge boars are top notch and are under $20.

I have quite a few synthetic brushes and, though I like them, I usually reach for the boar first.

If buying a vintage brush, you might find unused or barely used brush. Brushes needing restoration are fairly easy to come by and there’s a wide variety of replacement knots to choose from.

5. WV fan

WV fan New Member

I agree with PickledNorthern about the badger brush. I have an expensive custom silvertip that I rarely used because I feel that it's too soft for me. I love the 2 band finest from Maggard. Can't beat it for cost or performance in my opinion. I think boar brushes are awesome too. My Semogue is soft on the face and head and has very little backbone but it lathers like a champ. My Omegas and Zenith are very stiff and whip up a great lather and feel awesome on the face as well. I really enjoy synthetics also and have a wide variety of them. Welcome to wet shaving and enjoy all the various hardware and software choices available!

6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I guess badger is an acquired taste. I have an Omega pure badger, a couple of best badgers, a couple of two bands. The Semogue best (750?) is the one that I like the most, more so even than the two bands. But not as much as any of my boars.

RyX, Jim99, Primotenore and 1 other person like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My view on brushes is that each have their favorable qualities. Like apples, oranges and peaches; I like them all for different reasons.

RyX, Frijolero, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have a $300 super badger and a $40 SOC boar. My wife and I have performed blind tests trying to determine which one is which. I get the SOC boar wrong everytime. Moral of the story: boar can be just as luxurious and soft as a much much more expensive brush.

I'm a fan of the hog brush. Lots of love for Omega on here as well.

I'd suggest to try all you can afford to and don't limit yourself to just one, however, I'd give that SOC you have a few months of steady use and watch it transform into a ridiculously fine brush.

RyX, DaltonGang, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am a fan of Boar. I have a few badgets and use them some. I would say try not to get caught up in the more expensive is better crowd. Try a badger...try a synthetic. Try a horse. No need to break the bank. Silvertip badger does not do a better job the best.... Just cost more.

That Semogue you have will turn into a outstanding brush soon. They break in great. I also like a big ole Omega boar.

RyX, Frijolero, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

While I didn't care for the Semogue boars (still don't), the SOC badger is an excellent brush, in my opinion.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

11. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@TomAllyn I have no issues with these brushes below that won't break your piggy bank.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RyX, Frijolero, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  12. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

SpeedyPC I love that stable of brushes. Thanks for sharing!

RyX and SpeedyPC like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i started with an omega boar .i have 2 semogues as well . still a favorite.

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Mondial Boar is a must try. (Best Boar knot I have ever owned)
    Great starter Badger: Stirling Finest. (For the money, best badger I have ever owned)
    Cannot go wrong with either of these two.

RyX, Frijolero and Jim99 like this.
  15. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I used a Semogue 620 boar every shave for several years. Need to get a travel brush so I went with an Omega S10065 synthetic. It's priced under $10.00. Whips up plenty of lather in no time. Plenty of backbone too. No break in required, dries fast. I use it most of the time now. I tried a badger (Vulfix 2006) that was a flop in every sense of the word. It sits alone......in the back of the linen closet......in the dark.

Jim99, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

RyX likes this.
  17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Rock on new shaver.

Nothing wrong in your logic so far.

So let me put a twist in your knot.
    Badger brushes are the king when it comes to wet shaving. Missing out on trying one may seriously deprive you of basic shaving enjoyment. If you don't try one, the facial hair may in fact refuse to grow. Your razors would then rust. Just think how wasteful that would be.
    Google up a Frank Shaving silvertip. I got a great one for like 4 bucks 20160923_071632_resized.jpg
    You can thank me later.

SpeedyPC, RyX, TomAllyn and 1 other person like this.
  18. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

It's interesting that you mention a Frank because just a few minutes ago I made an offer on 2 band Frank.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In my opinion, a two-band badger has a similar face feel to a higher end semogue boar brush, but with better water retention. Most "silvertip" badger brushes are too floppy (translation to brushese: luxurious) for my taste. Two bands have a touch of scrubbiness, a bit firmer backbone than a silvertip. You can't go wrong with one.

Frijolero, TomAllyn and john zeiger like this.
  20. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I’m one for trying everything. I mean there are people that just want to get the job done and then there’s people like myself that are on an endless route to perfection. The connoisseur I would say lol. Just remember when buying badger on the low end of the spectrum for ex. Best badger you will get decent scritch and more back bone. When moving up you lose backbone but gain softness. Either way you have to analyze what you appreciate about your brush and ask yourself what you would like to have improved. The guys are right, even if you have money doesn’t mean go blow it. I’ve been in the same boat and ultimately got fed up of the search and bought a shavemac d01 lol but those maestro eBay brushes are sooo awesome as well...and super cheap. I had also bought a Kent blk12 for 350 and hated it because I felt like it was a giant paint brush and too floppy. Other guys swear by them. It’s all in what you like and it’s the ultimate beauty about the industry!

Frijolero and TomAllyn like this.