Ebay brush descriptions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by John Ruschmeyer, Jun 23, 2018.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I love the way eBay sellers, particularly the Chinese ones, pack adjectives into listing titles. I saw this one a few minutes ago:

"Portable men's Soft Hair Beard Brush Badger Hair Shave Razor Bristle Barber Tool"​

Portable? As opposed to what? The old room-filling console brushes?

2. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Due to the vicious nature of a badger, they must be sedated before they become portable or suitable for shaving use. 5A83EA73-B33F-4DE9-824C-AA6432372310.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  3. John Ruschmeyer

No argument there!

I think you have to be of a certain age, though, to appreciate the word "portable" and how it use to imply that something weighed less than 20 pounds (10kg?) and had a handle ("for easy carrying").

RyX, Jim99 and Paul76 like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

on the surface it does seem odd - particularly the use of ‘portable’ in this instance - but there is eBay wisdom in using numerous key words in the description to further broaden the prospective audience who often do keyword searches when hunting.

Borderboss, RyX, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  5. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

I imagine it is a Mandarin-English google translate issue, whereby the Chinese term signifying "travel" or "travel brush" ends up rendered in English as "portable."

John Ruschmeyer, Paul76 and RyX like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

Honestly, I'm sure that that is exactly what happened. As I've said, though, I'm just old enough to enjoy the subtleties associated with a word like "portable" and see the humor of associating it with something small like a shaving brush. I'm sure that the younger ones among us will someday find the same humor in the use of words like "mobile" or "smart".

Shadow Shaver likes this.