Two razors, one shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by zerth, Jun 23, 2018.

1. zerth

zerth New Member

Over my 30+ years of shaving my mug I came up with the following arrangement:
    • First pass with a DE, currently a Rockwell 2C. Its bulky metal head is great for heavy lifting.
    • Second pass with a disposable, namely Bic Metal. Its slim head is great for spot fixes and contouring my semi-goatee.
    I'd like to replace the disposable with something more gentlemanly - the wobbly plastic nature of this thing offends my inner Bender B. Rodriguez. Suggestions, anyone?

RyX likes this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

With it's small and flat profile, many Schick Injector razors work fine when trimming around my goatee.

MR41 and RyX like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:think002:Never used two razors to shave. I say find something your more comfortable with. I always used what ever razor to shave and keep my goatee neat. If you feel you need a less bulky razor I agree with Injectors. There are also several vintage..and new copies of vintage..3 piece DE razors with thinner caps. It really only takes one razor.....

MR41 and RyX like this.
  5. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I give a third thumbs up to Schick injectors. Very easy to see exactly where you are shaving. Also, easy to get the whiskers right under the nose.
    I like the type G, but I would think that any would work fine. The type E Schick razors seem to have a reputation of being more aggressive and less forgiving, which has also been my experience.

RyX likes this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Two passes with a DE maybe?

(35+ years of wetshaving here ;) )

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

He seems to have problems cleaning up around his goatee with the DE he has. That is why he was using cart garbage. Have you used any of the newer DE's? I have not.

Eeyore likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I will be another to echo the injector suggestion. I prefer injectors and AC razors to DE by a mile anyway.

If the vintage Schick idea doesn’t flip your minnow, the Supply Provision injector is a really good razor.

The Rockwell is a pretty good razor, but if you start shaving with just the injector, and forget the two razors thing.

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well ... two years ago, right after their initial introduction, I have bought a Mühle Rocca. I haven't looked back ever since. It's very much a case of YMMV, but it's one of the most comfortable razor I have ever used.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

wchnu likes this.
  10. zerth

zerth New Member

You are absolutely correct, the area right under the nose is most critical.

Okay guys, thank you very much for telling about your favourite razors. No clear solution yet - Merkur 907 is an obvious vendor lock-in; injector razors seem vintage and scarce. Somewhat afraid of the same refill quality problem I had with my long since discontinued Shick.

11. PickledNorthern

Not sure what you mean about injectors being scarce, and what troubles did you have with refill quality?

12. zerth

zerth New Member

I'm 47, I live in a ten million city and I never saw an injector razor in my life - not in anyone's bathroom nor in a store. Seems to be a very niche market.

As for my beloved Shick, cartridge razors weren't always the modern low quality overpriced nonsense. Yet, the good, not 'streamlined' model I received as a gift from my then-wife got discontinued somewhere in the nineties and now the only company that makes refills for them is some Chinese noname. I tried it. If you think modern genuine brand cartridges are horrible (and they are), you should try that one.

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Vintage Schick Injectors are about like vintage Gillette razors. Plenty available, and the Chinese made Schick Injector blades are pretty good and readily available online from places like Amazon. You can also find them in drug stores as well.

14. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Yeah even Walgreen carries the Schick injector refills. They are really easy to find and good quality. I've even got my wife shaving with a Schick Type H injector cause the blades are way cheaper than the cartridge junk she had used...

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A type H do you say? Most impressive!!

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Delete please - I misread

17. PickledNorthern

Niche perhaps, but not rare. eBay UK had a bunch of nice, affordable examples last night when I looked. BUT, I do know from reading on TSR, that you guys pay crazy through the nose for them. That may be enough to turn me off from the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro