My father-in-laws razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaveO, Jun 24, 2018.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

[​IMG]DSC03844 by DaveOl1, on FlickrI found this at my mother-in-law's house a few months ago. It belonged to her husband who died in 2003. It says Gillette on it and the handle is 3 inches long. It butterflys open to accept the blades.
    Anyone able to identify the model? I haven't cleaned it up yet.
    It still had this blade in it.
    The file is too large. I will have to put it on Flicker first.

[​IMG]DSC03839 by DaveOl1, on Flickr[​IMG]DSC03844 by DaveOl1, on Flickr

Keithmax, gorgo2, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  2. Nick N Cut

Nick N Cut New Member

I think it’s a 1950’s super speed

3. Nick N Cut

Nick N Cut New Member

On the bottom there should be a letter on one side then a number on the other, which will correspond with the year and quarter it was made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Actually, it probably won't have the date code. If you look at the full-size picture, you can just make out the word "PACKAGE" in the blade tray which means it's a '48 to early '50 razor.

kfbrady and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Also, no letter and number would be in the 1940's.

6. Nick N Cut

Nick N Cut New Member

I see it now, good eye sir.

7. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

What's the best way to clean it up?

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

You could soak it in Dawn dish soap and water for a while. Then use a tooth brush to help scrub it clean. Scrubbing Bubbles, without bleach, is another way.

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

When I clean razors I boil a pot of water. Once it is boiling turn off the heat wait until it stops boiling then add dish soap and drop the razor in and let it soak. Clean afterwards with something non abrasive like a toothbrush, rinse and repeat then polish it up with an appropriate metal polish in this case you want something that works on nickel.

If you plan to put it back in service you might want to consider replating it. If that is pitting in some of those pictures you won't be able clean that off.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What blade did it have in it? Should be able to identify when the razor was last used if it was one of the Gillette blue or super blue blades. Those had date codes.

I second using scrubbing bubbles.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is cool. Always good to have a razor with family history. It should clean up very well.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very nice find. Scrubbing bubbles works great. A soft tooth brush is good with some dawn. Nice soapy warm water baths are nice.

13. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

This is the blade that it had in it. It's not the old blue blades. It looks like a more modern stainless steel blade.
    [​IMG]DSC03838 by DaveOl1, on Flickr

14. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

No surprise really that the blade isn’t original to the razor.

Scrubbing bubbles is excellent and a mild metal polish, like Flitz, will put a nice shine on it.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Nick N Cut

Nick N Cut New Member

When your done cleaning and polishing imho it’s a good idea to oil the moving parts with mineral oil.

Herm2502 and AGHisBBS like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Looks like a Personna. Either way, it dates from 1965 or later, as that was about the time that stainless razor blades were taking over the market. So it was used for at least 15 years, possibly more.

17. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

twhite, Herm2502, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  18. kfbrady

Very nice job.

1940s/50s Super Speeds are really nice razors. They are fairly petite but the design is an absolute classic.

It's a mild razor that gives a very smooth shave with a sharp blade like a Gillette Silver Blue or a Feather.

Your best bet is probably to spend $10 on a 30-blade sampler pack, like this one at Amazon. Then you try out a bunch of them and see what works best for you.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I may not use this razor, just keep it as a reminder of him. When I got my Merkur Futur I ordered a sample pack at the same time. I've found that in the Futur I prefer the Astra blades. I thought that the Feathers were a little too sharp and unforgiving. I tried some of the other bladesbut I kept going back to the Astras. I imagine that different razors work better with different blades.
    I just bought an Ikon X3 a few months ago and like that also, but I seem to get a slight case of razor burn with it and the Astras. I may try some of the other blades.
    I bought some Wilkinson blades at the drug store a long time ago and really didn't like them.

kfbrady likes this.
  20. kfbrady

Just to give you a comparison, a 40's/50's Super Speed has about the same blade gap as a Merkur Futur at number 3 setting. So, it's a fairly mild razor and I've found they work best for me with a sharp blade.

But, if you just decide to keep it as a memento, that would be great too. I wish I had my dad's old razor, or my father-in-law's.