Looking for knots

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by mvd, Jun 26, 2018.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I am hoping some of the experts brush restorers might help me with knot selection for a few restores I am planning.

My favourite brush is the Omega Pro 49. I was into the Semague 620 for a while and then a scrubby wood-handle Omega from a local drug store, but find myself grabbing the 49. So, it is a 27mm knot with a 59mm loft.

What knot can I buy that is very close to this one? I see a 27mm at TGN but in the pictures, it seems less full and bulb-like than the 24mm, so I am tempted by the 24mm. Any thoughts on a knot that can get me close to the Pro 49 performance?

Knot #2: is there a badger knot that will win me over from the boar? What is my best bet in something similiar to the size of the Pro 49, reasonably affordable, and likley to be a winner? The dense bulb shapes seem appealing.

Knot #3: synthetic tuxedo knot. Something in a similiar size to the Pro 49. I am thinging 24mm? Would the size of 24mm knot be somewhat similiar to the face feel of a 27mm?

I guess I am looking for feedback from those who love the Pro 49 AND have wider brush knowledge. Buying all three from one vendor may be a bonus.

Cheers,
    Mark

RyX likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Get the omega knot. That brush is cheap. Buy it and bust the knot out of the plastic handle. I think @Jayaruh has done some like that.

RyX, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Fendrihan lists the Omega 49 Pro as a 25mm/63mm knot, but I agree with @wchnu.

At $11.95, just buy one and remove and reuse the knot.

RyX, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have to agree. Take a new brush and bust the knot out.

As for a badger that is comparable to a boar, most two band or finest badger knots will work. Buy a smaller size knot and sink it deep in the handle. General rule of thumb is knot size +2mm = handle opening. A 3mm size difference will let you set it about 5mm deeper, which makes a huge difference in face feel.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I agree with everyone else. I have had several boar brushes and the best by far are two brushes made by Jayaruh that he fitted with Omega Pro 49 knots. As you are in Canada, Fendrihan.ca is a good source for Omega 49s.

I had a Semogue Owners Club cherrywood boar brush that I found too wimpy compared to my other 24mm brushes. Jason @jtspartan re-set it for me with a 24mm Tuxedo knot from APShaveCo and it's great. APShaveCo can be found on Etsy and is based in Ontario. Both their Tuxedo and Cashmere knots are excellent. When Jason (who lives in BC) did a Limited Edition brush for the 30DC thread, he used APShaveCo knots. I noticed several months ago that APShaveCo was now offering a badger knot too, but it seemed fairly expensive, although the quality is no doubt excellent.

Alternately, for a badger knot you may want to look at the Envy White knot from Envy Shave Co on Etsy in the USA. I have one in one of their brushes and it's superb. Not the cheapest knot out there, although much less than things like Shavemac, but a great brush. Or for about half that, look at the two-band badger knot from Maggards in the US. They come now from about 20mm to 30mm, and Maggard keeps a very close eye on their quality. I have a 24mm in one of Jason's handles and have absolutely no complaints about it. I have found shipping from Maggards in the US to me in Canada is reasonable, and the packages usually slip past Customs without being dinged for duty or GST which is a bonus.

7. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input :) I am pretty much sold on APShaveco to try out at some point. I think I would rather buy a boar knot than destroy an Omega brush even if it costs more.

Does anyone have experience with the Plisson style and tuxedo style nylon brushes from The Golden Nib? If I get everything from one place, I save a lot on shipping. From reading old threads TNG was the place to go for good, inexpensive brushes, but I haven't seem much about them recently--still good?

I am also thinking of FrugalShave on etsy. I think I saw their blood knot in someones post here.

I have to prep the brushes to determine the size before ordering, but so far I am thinking a tuxedo for the cream coloured vintage Simms, a plisson style synthetic for a darker toned brown/black Simms, the boar for a longer wood/black Austrian Barbershop brush, and the badger for an undetermined brush...yes, now I am up to four knots; this may turn into a bulk order :o

Cheers

RyX likes this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

Yes he has - HERE

wchnu likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good luck finding a better boar then the Omega. Hope it all works out.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    From what I was told on another forum, the black knots and tuxedo knots are comparable to a two band badger or boar knot. The plissoft style knots are comparable to silvertips.

I've only used the plissoft knots, and prefer two-band badger, so I'll have to try the other knot styles out at some point.

mvd likes this.