Hat question for those in the South

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Jun 22, 2018.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

There is a European fish called Bream, but around here it is a name given to the family of sunfish which includes Bluegill and Redears.

BamaT and battle.munky like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Thanks. I thought it was a panfish, but didn’t know which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cmorris357 likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

4. Bama Samurai

Where I grew up (N AL), the Blue Gill sunfish is commonly called a "bream" by the locals.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Go with the Strat if you like....In Australia they wear Akubra fur felt fedoras everyday of the year.....It's hot but straws are hot too....I means it's hot out there....I wear a fur felt Lock and Co. when I'm hiking...A good hat is insulated....If you really want light get a panama...but don't get caught in the rain with it...

Oh yeah....lets go bass fishing in Florida...

battle.munky likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. There are several different types. Just called bream. They fight way over there size. Love hooking them while jigging.

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

6th generation Floridian here seconding the Tilley.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

First day in Florida. As hot and humid as it was in North Carolina so nothing new there. Bold little lizards running around all over the place (good bass bait?) Weird clouds, but interesting to look at. So far, not bad.

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

No! Well, I mean, yes, they are probably good bass bait but they are one of the most voracious bug eaters you can find. The anole (both Cuban and Green iirc) is your friend! Also, if you can catch them, you can get them to open their mouths and they can then be allowed to painlessly bite your earlobes and you have a fabulous temporary fashion accessory. Really big hit with small children. I was always into the harder rock so I've been known to rock an anole around the backyard ....on my nostrils. My kids were ace lizard hunters back in the day. The babies are totally adorable but even faster and more agile.

One other thing: they like to sleep on or near the AC unit and from time to time you will hear the lizard blender fire up and take one or so to their doom.

#FloridaLife

10. Bama Samurai

The anole lizards are your new friends. They guard your house at night from bugs. If one gets in the house, he's lost, just take him outside and put him in the grass. Several cultures consider it really bad mojo to kill an anole lizard. Ignore them, they'll ignore you.

When I lived in Houston, the anoles were everywhere. In the evenings, they would array themselves on the courtyard walls around lights, by the dozens. It almost looked like lizard wallpaper.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I see mostly the browns (cubans), rare to see them green.

battle.munky and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I loved the anoles when I lived the Gulfport FL...South St. Pete.
    I started a small Jazz Record Label called "Leaping Lizard" Records and had an artist draw up a logo of an anoles flying through the air, mid jump.

Man, @battle.munky ....you're killin me man...whew!! The lizard blender.....lmao!....that could be a southern rock label......lol.

Keithmax, battle.munky and gorgo2 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wasn't really going to harm any of the lizards, they're too cute. Couldn't catch one if I wanted to anyway.

I may suprise myself and end up liking it here...haven't encountered the local humans out in town yet, but so far I like it.

rps20180627_074047.jpg

rps20180627_074249.jpg

14. battle.munky

You are really making me miss my home @gorgo2 !

I was a termite guy for several years and when the termites were swarming the anoles would be eating the swarmers as they emerged. I'd find anoles under houses at a swarm site so fat they literally couldn't move.

I haven't seen green anoles in forever. Growing up they were abundant but by the time my kids were old enough to be proficient lizard wranglers they were hard to come by.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

All I've seen so far are brown ones.

16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Anoles and leopard geckos. My rat terrier is always catching anoles, chews them and spits them out.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The Green and Brown Anoles are one and the same. They change color, like a chameleon.

gorgo2 and Erik Redd like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That takes talent. Anyone could fish in a boat.

19. battle.munky

Youuuuu!!!! Not Punny! (ok, it was)

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Sure looks like a peaceful spot for a cup.

The important question is: what’s up with the fishing?

Bama Samurai likes this.