The 400 club

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I have a 400 4 coming today, can't wait to get it.

preidy, Primotenore, twhite and 4 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Late 30's through the late 50's. Call it a 20 year production run with a loss of 4-5 years due to WWII. So, a 15 year total production run.

TestDepth, twhite and RyX like this.
  3. Briscoe

This came in yesterday 400-4
    Looks to be in good original condition. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

preidy, RyX, Primotenore and 5 others like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Let us know how you like that long knot. Seems funky to me at first, but it works pretty normal, in spite of the long bristle.

RyX and twhite like this.
  5. Briscoe

Thinking of having it shined up and adding a new boar knot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RyX and Boojum1 like this.
  6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi - can any kind 400 clubber tell me what the thread size and pitch is on the ferrule?

twhite likes this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

When I was making mine. I found I had to use a bastard size. As the Ferrule bore was 25mm. I ended up using 20tpi and adjusting the handle male thread to accommodate the Ferrule. Not the best way, but it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    On my replicas I am using M26 x 1.0 metric threads as it gives me a roughly 25mm knot hole. Plenty of room basically. However I want to make some ferrules with threads that people can also use on their vintage 400s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestDepth likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great idea. Wish I had an original I could measure for you.

RyX likes this.
  10. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Talking about my replicas. I call it an ΑΛΦΑ T-400. I have been working on it for a while and gave one of my prototypes to 8 lucky TSD members. They love it. Take a look on the SOS of the Day threads and you will see it there. So here it is in all its glory:

First of all a special mention to @twhite who did the original drawings which I refined and altered. Without his real art this prototype would never have happened.

[*]Material is 6063 Aluminium. This is an architectural/furniture grade and is alloyed with silicon and magnesium. Very good corrosion resistance

[*]Threading for the ferrule is M26*1

[*]The handle is solid. The material is light and hollowing it out would only mean two things: More process time and the handle would be so light it would not stand up very well on its end when shaving. My opinion is that at about 4 ounces (100 gr.) it is not heavy at all.

[*]The finish is a simple anodisation - a nice soft sheen as you can see from the photos
    [*]Hand feel - superb and smooth
    [*]Size - a nice hand size - my hands are average size and the brush fits comfortably in my hand

Ferrules - the ferrule is a separate part as you can see.

I will be organising a pass around as soon as I can work out what the rules are!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Jayaruh, Enrico, preidy and 4 others like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great job on that. I hope it works out that you can get a bunch produced.

RyX and Vlasta like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It is a real beauty. Do you do the milling work yourself, or you have someone else do the work?

13. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I work with a small machine shop - no room in my small apartment for a CNC Lathe and a CNC Milling Machine. It took me a long long time to find the right machine shop and a little bit longer to get them to this level.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, they do very nice work.

RyX likes this.
  15. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
  16. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Just received my first 400 -3 today! I can see why they are in such demand, very comfortable in the hand and a nice weight to it. The one I picked up doesn’t look like it was used much but it is in some need of cleaning and polishing, maybe a new knot because there is some staining in two spots. I started to do some light polishing by hand with some mother’s and the shine is coming back very easily. So it won’t take long for this one to return to good looking too. 9AD751C5-71FD-4B5B-AB49-C54546FEF977.jpeg 91A792B7-ABA9-4C6B-AFDC-93FDD46335C0.jpeg 151D3604-42F2-4623-BDCA-85B8827CDEAD.jpeg

Enrico, Primotenore, brit and 5 others like this.
  17. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Well I think I'm fixing to join "The Club" I just recently won a 400 off a notorious auction site we all love to hate. It looks to be in great shape with a good original knot, I'll know more when it arrives. Here is a couple of pics from where I bought it.....
    Rubberset 400.jpg Rubberset 400-2.jpg

Don't know yet if it is a 3 or 4

MntnMan62, mrchick, brit and 4 others like this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Wow excellent knot!

19. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

Production underway!!!

Hi Guys,

a little update on the T-400. I want to give you an update on the production of the first batch so you don’t think it has all gone quiet for no reason.

1. All of the knots are ordered from my knot supplier and he is having them made as I type. As these are made to order they do take a little time. I placed my order on Friday 6th and he said approximately 3 weeks for manufacture and delivery to me.
    2. Handle production - please take a look at the attached photos and short movies. The handles are at final polish stage now and who’ll be with me within 7 or so days. The circular item with the slot - you will have to wait and see what that's for!!

Some shots attached are of pre-edge break and polish stages - don’t worry!! - the T-400 will be smooth, shiny and a pleasure to use.

Happy shaves to everyone this weekend.

regards

Steve Tinter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brit, Frijolero, RyX and 4 others like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I guess having one of your brushes lets me into the 400 club.

Frijolero, RyX, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.