Me and my monster.........

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok
    I got a muhle R41 a few days ago.
    I am in the middle of a blade search for my razorock slant. I decided to break form and try my new razor for the first time.
    How did it go?

Van Der Hagan blade, Henry Cavendish Himalaya Shaving Soap, I cold water shave and distilled water for foam.

There was no blood, none at all.
    Slight irritation on lower left neck but nothing a little nivea couldn't take care of.

Closest two pass shave I ever had bar none.
    IIIIIII LIKE IT!!!:happy093:

I GIVE IT A 10+1
    tp

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Zykris, Keithmax, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice. Just wait until you start using better blades and soaps. You'll be dancing in the street.

Weasel640 and Jim99 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s great to hear!

If you like it with VDH blades, there’s a good chance you’ll love it with some highly rated blades.

Weasel640 likes this.
  4. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Great to hear Terry. Is a light touch all you need with the R41 or is there other technique issues required? I'm tempted to get one.

5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Don't really know. I figured out that I "ride the cap" so to speak, just the other day while reading on line. Only I don't use any presure, none. I taught myself from the start to use only angle, breaking away from the plastic scraping I onced used with disposables.
    Started on a Murker MK 23c, a very, very mild razor I now use to shave my head every other day. Using the angle instead of the preasure to do the job, from day one.
    It's MHO that the reason I got some issues this morning is bad angle, at the end or sloppy work on my part.
    tp

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Muhle R41 is one of those razors where the results are defined by the type of blade used. It can be completely unforgiving in terms of harshness and reveal any deficiencies in both blade and technique.
    I don’t own a newer (milder) version (2013-today) any longer and so use the more aggressive 2011 model. Through much trial & error, I’ve settled on the Feather Stainless as the right blade of choice for my DE shaving excursions. YMMV. :happy088:

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Oh and it definitely will...:shaver

john zeiger likes this.
  8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you much for your reply.

9. I've had the R41 for a couple of years and it is my main razor. Every razor I try or purchase gets compared to it. It has spoiled me for other razors as it gives such a close shave. It does require your attention though!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Used the Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant this morning, it arrived yesterday. Cold shave, Van Der Hagen blade, Proraso red, no blood. It compares to the Muhle 41 for a close shave, but yet different in someways.

Will be trying it for a DD after the 41 run.
    IMO
    Really can't go wrong with the Phoenix slant for a really close shave.

Back to the 37 till ......
    tp

11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Finally got some time to get back to my R41. So many razors, so few shaves. I found out that it seems to have a smaller "sweet spot" than other razors I'm used to. I like the feather blades in it, but I still haven't got as nice and clean of shave as with the slants/feathers I have. Don't get me wrong, it is a close shave, it wow'ed me the first time. Seems to shave well if you have the right angle of attack. But my mussel (muscle) :signs081:memory seems to be tuned to my other razors. Looking at the head, it seems to look like the blade is not shaped the same way, looks flatter than most. I can only get 2 nice shaves per blade with it, so it's not the other razors causing the 2 shave and toss the blade thing. Have been riding the cap more, but I think that will subside when I master it. It seems to like to jump or skip if your angle is off more than any other razor I have used. Will use the beast untill I get it right, should only be a few more days.
    Just a few weepers once, a little burn on one one jaw once, but no cuts or nicks.
    Practice, practice, practice...:duel:

tp

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  12. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Terry likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

This was posted as always using an old andriod, fat fingers, poor vision...:lam:

:thanks:

RyX likes this.
  14. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Sorry Terry. I couldn't resist! :)

Terry likes this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Don't be sorry don't be sorry, I might use it it myself someday:D

kfbrady likes this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh I've kind of given up on my r41. I don't have any problems now shaving but it just doesn't seem to give me that good shave I'm looking for. I used my Bakelite open comb slant and right there I am good clean shave no problem. I got the handle for my gem Junior and of course had to try it out. I got some different single edge blades just for shaving, I got an amazingly nice, close shave with that little old razor. Seems the r41 has blade chatter and I'm not certain how to make it not do it other than maybe finding thicker blades. I'll look into it some more and see what I can't do to make it better. For now my little monsters going to have to be put up on the Shelf.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I read up HERE about blade thickness. Seems modern stainless steel DE blades are all the same thickness, but some are more stiff than others. I've used Kai and my impression was thicker but apparently not true.

Frijolero and Terry like this.
  18. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

For me, it's hard to beat good Gillette blades in my R41. If you pair Feathers w/ the R41, you have to be mighty focused and careful.

Frijolero, RyX and Terry like this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

If the blade is chattering, I mean loose, somethings amiss. Seeing its a three piece, not much can go wrong. Look closely at the treads, be sure it's tightening down to snug the blade.
    Many complain about the r41 handle. You can try another handle on the r41 head.

Frijolero, RyX and Terry like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks guys
    I'm mew at this only, 8 months and change. I have migrated to feather blades in all me DE razord I use. The r41 seemd to shave ok with a feather blade, I get 2 shaves per blade, so I've wen't thru a few with it the last few weeks. I am not sure what it is. I know it seems to have a smaller sweet spot compaired to my other razors.
    I was using dorco 301's in my rr german slant to shave my gord but one morning instead of opening up a new pk of dorco blades I put a feather on the rr because I was changing out the r41 again. That was the last time I used a 301. I now use feathers for every thing, even when trying out a new razor. My go to blade is a feather, used over 100 so far so I'm gona buy 200 next time. To think I was terrified of them to begin with.
    So I used the gem junior with personna 62-0178 blades before heading to work and it was amazing. The head was given to me in a deal with 5 other razors and the handle was sent to me from wchnu. The blade is not locked in, it just lays there with the cap spring loaded down on the blade and it doesn't move, slide, or vibrate. Being at least 70 years old and it is as strong a shaver as any of my slants or open combs.
    WOW!
    Even stands toe to toe with the r41 for closeness. But it is a smooth rider, an easy glider. It's my dimond in the rough.
    I'm gona use it a lot, I jusy got that feeling, I bought 100 blades so...:)

Thanks to all for the kind help!
    tp

Frijolero and RyX like this.