June 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2018.

?

What was your first razor when you saw the light?

1. Weishi/Van der Hagen/ Microtouch

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Gillette TTO (Super Speed, Aristocrat)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Cheap 3 piece or TTO found online or in a store

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. SE of some kind

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Straight razor - because I was manly like that

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, and was given a razor.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, woke up with no memory of the first shave.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree with you. I think the old version might have been made by Valobra. I know they make still make the soap for Czech & Speake. From all accounts the Valobra is an excellent soap.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I love the recaps!! :)

FaceScraper, RyX, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Paul.

Norcalnewb, wristwatchb and jluc like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You're welcome, Clint.....just one of the many ways we get creative in here(y'know, like me doing survey updates&commentary).

FaceScraper, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

June 30th
    Razor: Rex Ambassador (4)
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
    Brush: Rick Montalvo mixed
    Pre shave: Stirling mentholated
    Soap: PAA Aqua D
    Lucky Tiger face tonic
    AS: PAA Aqua D

Good morning!

Great shave this morning! Three passes set at 4, knocked down to 2 for touch up on my neck. I'm BBS and I smell gooood!

My plan for Just For Fun June was to haphazardly use whatever struck my fancy for that days shave. I started off the first half of the month on track but then got derailed by some discipline. I've been sticking with the same razor for the last half of the month and probably the first half of July. Still fun though. The Rex has been working great for me!

Have a good day my friends! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great recap, Clint!

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great picture and lineup Jim. Nothing wrong with sticking with a razor when it is working for you. I am guilty of doing the same.

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Great set up and photo, Jim. Sandalwood is one of my favorite scents, so you picked a pertfect way to start the weekend. Stay cool!

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Clint.

Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. :happy088:

Norcalnewb and jluc like this.
  11. wristwatchb

I believe big companies like P&G, which owns AOS, are under market pressure to remove food products like tallow from soaps. I love shaving with animal fat, but I'm not the trendiest guy here in my town. ;)

12. wristwatchb

+1

13. wristwatchb

Clint, the Rocnel SE-G a super cool razor. No wonder it scared the little guy. It sorta scares me too.

Wonderful monthly summary! You have some beautiful gear and the photography skills to show it off. Your verbal, as well as visual, enabling keeps many of us...:sad027:

Have a great Saturday and stay cool.

14. wristwatchb

Jim, great photo and set up. I've enjoyed following your exploits with the Rex Ambassador this month.

FaceScraper, jluc, RyX and 2 others like this.
  15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Charlie! I enjoy sharing almost as much as I enjoy reading the exploits of others. Have a great day!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Will they outlaw lard next? ;)

FaceScraper, jluc, RyX and 4 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

I think we're OK, Joseph, but it depends, of course, on the next Supreme Court nominee. :eatdrink020:

:signs089:

Just in case, I have LAD (Lard Acquisition Disorder) so I am very well stocked.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    FaceScraper, Keithmax, jluc and 4 others like this.
  18. Primotenore

Article Team
    June Focus
    [​IMG]
    First of all, I am not quite sure what Barrister & Mann soap I used this morning. I THINK it's "Tuesday", and that's because the design on the B&M website looks like this. It was an included sample with my last B&M purchase. If anyone out there can confirm, I would appreciate it.
    But let's talk about this soap. Until I read the description, my first impression was: "This is a dupe of Tabula Rasa Steam Punk", which, btw, is my FAVORITE of the Tabula Rasa line. And it is, by far, the best TSN LE soap that has been offered since 2014.
    I had written lengthy reviews on that other forum, detailed and complete, only to have them (and every other review) deleted by the mods. That was frustrating to say the least. :angry019:
    Back to the B&M soap. I get violets and lavender, but when the two are mixed, I also get an old library, replete with tomes of great length.
    It's a noble scent; a gentleman's scent---a money scent. (as close as I am ever going to get ;) )
    This soap base is one of B&M finest. SUPER slick. I mean greased-lightning slick.
    Today was also the first run with my new Semogue Mistura. I had forgotten how much I loved this Boar/Badger knot, after I sold my old BC Mistura. What I didn't love about it was the smallish, wooden handle. Semogue has hit a grand slam with this one. I HIGHLY recommend it and I would suggest purchasing it directly from Vintage Scents. $20 cheaper than the marked-up, middleman price.
    It only took about a week to arrive from Portugal. Not bad at all. Superior brush.
    I had to perform a few de-funking lathers and when I squeezed out the knot for my final pass today, there was a tinge of brownish goo.
    Oh well, took my finger and removed the Boar sweat and finished the awesome BBS-resulting shave.
    1947 was a very good year, especially for Gillette. THE Super-Speed of all Super-Speeds. No stinking notch.
    "we don't need no stinking notches" :happy102:
    Third shave with the Personna 74. This is what I have to say about this blade:
    :smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect:
    I am expecting another 20 great shaves from this baby.
    And since I was so strongly reminded of Steam Punk, I grabbed my bottle of ASG and finished this shave with a flourish.

19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. We had a family party yesterday afternoon followed by dinner at a restaurant. We had a blast. He seemed it like the attention.
    [​IMG]
    Party with friends is this afternoon. We are going to wear this boy out.

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Charlie, I feel you bro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.