June 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2018.

?

What was your first razor when you saw the light?

1. Weishi/Van der Hagen/ Microtouch

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Gillette TTO (Super Speed, Aristocrat)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Cheap 3 piece or TTO found online or in a store

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. SE of some kind

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Straight razor - because I was manly like that

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, and was given a razor.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, woke up with no memory of the first shave.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    How wonderful for you Brian.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Charlie. The SE-G does have a lot of blade feel and exposure. It takes me a little time to get it dialed in.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Another fantastic report and photo Joseph. You are making it very hard for me to get over my Brush Acquisition Disorder. :D

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Just fantastic. I bet he has you wrapped around his finger.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Just awesome, Brian. Jude looks like a very happy party animal. Thanks for sharing.

I bet you give out first. :rofl:

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yesterday was ice cream and a cookie. Birthday cake is today. I'm looking forward to it.

7. wristwatchb

I love the trend toward multi-day Birthday parties. :eatdrink020: :git:

8. mrchick

[​IMG]

9. mrchick

Totally!

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Clint! Another great wrap up as well!

11. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Jim!

Douglas Carey, jluc and clint64 like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Charlie!

13. Norcalnewb

Well, I certainly have no problem using animal based products, but my vote must not count for much.

14. Norcalnewb

Would you happen to know of the old version of AOS is similar to the current version of Valobra? If so, this is going to have to be a future purchase, because you know I only have about 10(0?) years worth of soap now, so I definitely need more.

15. Norcalnewb

Excellent write up, Joseph. I have not read B&M soaps, so now I need to add this to my list as well.

CF01FBA9-F6F9-4791-926A-C52E2699BA2E.jpeg

16. wristwatchb

June 30

G3 Gillette Fatboy
    Astra SP (2)
    Kent BK4 Silvertip
    Mike's Natural Soap - unscented
    Thayers Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Trumper's Coral Skin Food

This has been my set up for most of the month, although I've occasionally swapped in an RV Shaving Brush for the trusty Kent BK4. My goal was to have fun, enjoy my shaves, and use up the last of the Mike's Natural Soap and the Coral Skin Food. I have a couple more shaves to go on the soap and maybe another month on the skin food. I have very much enjoyed riding along with you all this month.

Two easy passes with the FB again in 5th gear this morning. My foot never touched the clutch this month. The lather was great once I picked out a few small bits from the disintegrating soap. I'll be glad to finish up the soap and doubly glad when the skin food is gone.

Next stop is the July focus. I'm planning to bring two lesser known soaps into the rotation. My goal is to either use them up or move them on. More details soon.

Have a great weekend, and Happy 4th of July a few days in advance!

SOTD_063018.jpg

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim

From my reading on various forums, they are the same soap base with different scents. Perhaps @Keithmax knows for sure.

18. Norcalnewb

Looks like lots of fun, Brian! Great picture!

19. Norcalnewb

Wonderful picture, Charlie!

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

June 30th
    Gillette Pre-war Canadian Tech
    Gillette 7 O’Clock Platinum (blue pack)
    Soap Commander Endurance
    Thayers
    Barrister’s Reserve Spice
    A66D4397-0101-474B-8D8E-2B7FB353240E.jpeg
    Last shave of June this morning. Have enjoyed a ‘basics’ focus, for the most part. Used my first DE razor- the EJ 89lbl- plus a number of ‘basic’ Gillettes- Prewar and Postwar Canadian Techs, a ‘59 Flair Tip and a ball-end Old Type. Sprinkled in a few Monobilt and one Aristocrat Jr day. Went with some of my first soaps- this Soap Commander, TFS, etc., plus some ‘basic’ creams and soaps- Palmolive, Proraso, Tabac, etc. A very good month of shaves.
    I have no idea what I’m doing for July yet, but will have a few days to work on a focus as we are about to drive over to Calgary for 3 days. My daughter, much like @Douglas Carey ’s granddaughter last year, has qualified for Highland Dance nationals. She is still quite young (10), and we wouldn’t have gone if it was across the country, but Calgary is only about 5 hours drive. Monday is a national Holiday for Canada Day as well.
    Have a great weekend all, and I hope all of you north of the border have a great Canada Day and those of you south of the 49th enjoy July 4th coming up as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.