July 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Any chance you're joining us for Cinco de Julio?

1. Of course. In fact, I save my popsicle sticks for just this occasion!

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Of course not. I'm sane.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I'll think about it but I'm too busy eating cookies.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. I'll let you know when I get to St. Louis.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to July 2018!!! And what’s special about July? Why, CINCO DE JULIO!!!!!!!!!

Our old pal Slash McCoy shows off his popsicle stick razor shave that inspired a number of us two years ago to make our own and declare July 5th as the day we’d all give it a shot. If memory serves, nine or us tried it out the first year and all nine did survive and with no blood that I remember. Or can dig out of the history. Last year was equally successful so, for those who are so inclined, get a couple of popsicle sticks, a DE blade, a stapler and join us on Cinco de Julio for the second annual celebration of semi-insanity and shenanigans!!

Now, as always, there is no need to participate in that particular event. And, if you have no straight razor experience I might even discourage it. And, as always, any use of items not normally used in shaving to try and perform a stunt shave is not advised, suggested, nor approved by The Shave Den or any of those affiliated in it in an official capacity. Having said that, let us know if you’re joining in on the 5th!

Coming up in mid-July is our meet up in St. Louis (well, St. Charles but close enough)!! Looking forward to seeing some new faces! Final touches on that will be announced shortly.

Alright, with that out of the way, let’s proceed to the business of July 2018!!!

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Anything that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to. Plus their breath can kill charging bears.

7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! And let’s get it started with a group hug!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Drygulch, Linuxguile, RyX and 8 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sunday SOTD
    July 1, 2018

Blackland Sabre L2
    Gem PTFE
    Paladin Moe Graphite
    Barrister and Mann (Patches) Strawberry, Basil, and Black Pepper Soap & AS
    ADP Cedro di Taormina

[​IMG]

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great shave to start us off for the month, Mark!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'll be joining in for Cinco de Julio again this year. I saved my razor from the first year and used it again last year. I'll be pulling the same razor out of the cabinet for the third year in a row next Thursday.

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific picture, Mark!

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll be back this month. I think I am going to focus on Superspeed related razors the whole month. I'll try to get a family photo tomorrow. Looking forward to more fun this month.

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Jim!

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in for July! It's been busy and I've been on the road some without good wifi, so I haven't been able to post very much. But alas, I'll be in for July and will continue trying to reduce my soap inventory. Looking forward to a good month!

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in for the month. I'm going to focus on being more focused. I've been a part of the 30DC for four months and have yet to do thirty consecutive shaves with the same razor. I'm fourteen shaves in with the Rex, sixteen to go. I'll pick another razor and go for thirty on that one.

Have a great month of shaves, gentlemen!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Superspeed month! I like the sound of that.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

More soap reduction. A worthy goal!

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm in again this month! I plan to use the same basic set up as last month. I will evaluate two soaps and decide whether to use 'em up or send 'em on!

LPL 1.jpg LPL 2.jpg LPL 3.jpg RTB 1.jpg RTB 2.jpg RTB 3.jpg

I just noticed they ain't got no animal fat in 'em. :angry032: :happy097:

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Starting the straight razor phase of my journey.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Love this part...

@Keithmax will be along soon to give you his top three tips. He and @Drygulch and @HolyRollah showed me the way.

Here are mine:

1) More soap, make really wet lather.
    2) Skin stretch like it's the apocalypse and this is your last shave, every time.
    3) Focus on angle and precision pressure.

Results will follow.

The dirty little secret about SR... it's only a big deal until you know how. Then you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Good luck. :)

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The Dark Side welcomes our newest Padwon learner. :signs136:

In addition to Chris' tips here are some good things to remember during your training.

The first time you shave with a straight razor no matter how tough and brave you are you are going to be nervous. Nervous means you will have small or large trembles in your hands. This means it is easy to get a cut or nick. For the first shave just do your cheeks and then finish with another razor of your choice. I started this way and slow went farther and farther until I did need to finish with a DE. Other say just go for it and do not use a DE or SE to finish up.

There is an old wife tale that it takes 100 shaves to become proficient, while not exactly correct it will take about that many shaves to be consistent. To learn some of the grips and angles I used CJB shavette without a blade. It also helped me to learn with my off hand.

Yes there are people that can get a great straight razor shave just using their dominant hand, I am not one of them. I quickly realized that my wrist could not court enough to shave with just my right hand. At first it was awkward shaving with my left but I quickly built up muscle memory. If I can do it so can you.

Some important rules:

If you are in a hurry put down the straight, step away and pick a different razor.

If someone or a pet may barge into your shave den mid shave then put down the straight, step away and pick a different razor.

If you mind is not focused on shaving and other thoughts are dancing in your head, put down the straight, step away and pick a different razor.

If something does not feel right, if you feel a disturbance in the force then put down the straight, step away and pick a different razor.

If it feels like it is going to cut you, back off, take a deep breath and start again.

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’ll be knocking the crust off mine as well. It’s good for a couple more passes.

17. Keithmax

Sunday Shave

Went for the huge and luxurious Simpson Polo 12, took a big scoop out of the DR Harris tub and went on to build tons of lather. The edge was sweet, sharp and smooth. The alum had a slight tingle but other wise and excellent shave.

Irritation A Closeness A+ Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Brian Brown 7/8 half hollow
    Strop: T Miller
    Brush: Simpson Polo 12
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: DR Harris cream
    AS: Enhanced Florida Water AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: Dior Ambre Nuit

ID - 1.jpg

18. mrchick

[​IMG]

19. Keithmax

My focus in July will be the same focus I have for 2018, finish off soaps. I went digging through the soap drawer and picked these two because they are closest to being finished. DR Harris Arlington cream and Stirling. The Stirling already had the ring of death so I covered up the hole to ensure maximum loading.

ID - 2.jpg

20. mrchick

Let me add something else. Start with a razor that has been professionally honed. Do NOT stop it before shaving with it. This will help you to know how a shave with a properly honed blade feels. It is very easy to screw up an edge while learning to stop and we don’t want you to get discouraged trying to shave with a honed edge you already ruined with a strop. The most important skill I learned was stropping and I started with a paddle strop before moving to a hanging one. Watch some videos on stropping and start out slowly.
    You can do this. Have fun!