July 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Any chance you're joining us for Cinco de Julio?

1. Of course. In fact, I save my popsicle sticks for just this occasion!

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Of course not. I'm sane.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I'll think about it but I'm too busy eating cookies.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. I'll let you know when I get to St. Louis.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Add me to the soap finishing focus group.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011: too.

3. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'm back for this month. June was very spotty for me for shaves. I found shaving while sitting at my sink on my hamper somewhat awkward and messy, so I only shaved every few days when the stubble started to bother me. For July I am going to work at shaving more regularly again. I will just use whatever gear strikes my fancy each day.

I have identified two tubes of cream that are at least half gone -- Godrej and Vi-John -- and I will see if I can kill off one or both of them this month. So I guess add me to the Soap Inventory Reduction team too...

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am curious about the chromium oxide green in the Rain Tree as my experience with CrOx is that of a fine abrasive that sharpens razors, and reminds me a bit of powdered fiberglass.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the heads up, Jared. I didn't pick up on that when I read the ingredients list, but that explains the unusual green color. My face could use a bit of stropping to smooth out the rough bits. :) Long story about how I came to pick up this soap. I know very little about it, but now I'm even more curious to see how it performs. There are so many excellent shave soaps available that I have very high expectations. If it doesn't perform well, I may end up using it as a hand or bath soap. I'll keep you posted.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It must be quite the exfoliator.

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That's good, 'cause I have 57 years worth of built up crust to remove. :happy068:

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for July. My continued focus for 2018 will be completing some shaving soaps and creams.

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

July 1st
    Razor: Rex Ambassador (4)
    Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
    Brush: SOC badger
    Pre shave: Stirling mentholated
    Soap: Stirling Lemony Orange
    Stirling Lemon Chili witch hazel
    AS: Stirling Lemony Orange

Happy July!

Full on face freeze this morning! I face lathered to get the most from the menthol. Great shave! Two pass and I resisted the urge to do touch up. DFS+ face but I fell short under my chin. I'll do better tomorrow.

Have a great day, gentlemen!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, brit and 14 others like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great photo and setup, Jim! I emailed Rod and asked him to delay the shipping of my Lemony Orange until I get back next week. Can't wait to use it.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    July Focus
    IMG_6359.jpg
    OK, I'm in like Flynn...
    Seeing how I
    didn't really stay "focussed" last month, I am hereby challenging myself to do so this month.
    Soap: Vintage Williams
    Razor: 2011 Mühle R41
    Everything else will be random.
    Let's start...
    IMG_6363.jpg
    Today I chose my Rubberset and vintage Old Spice Lime.
    The bloomed Williams (yes @wchnu, I plan on blooming this soap daily), which is also fully mentholated, never fails and I don't expect any issues this month with the soap. I chose the Williams, because of the razor. I wanted a soap, which will offer the greatest protection and slickness, while being neutral enough (scent-wise), to allow me to choose any post-shave product I want, without fear of scent conflict.

@Jayaruh chose an Omega Pro knot to set in my Rubberset and while I had my reservations, because of the massive loft (65mm) I think,
    I couldn't be more pleased. The
    initial stench took quite a long time to finally go away, but we have passed that time and the bristles are now neutral in smell. This brush is so versatile! The handle is so ergonomic.
    The bristles are now comfortable on the face and I can see why they call this the "Pro".
    If facing the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse, I would be hard-pressed NOT to choose this brush making my getaway.
    Now to the 31 days of the R41...
    Let's start, funnily enough, with the Weber Bulldog handle. I used think that this handle was ideal, but now I am not so sure. It's VERY heavy.
    Yes, it's grippier than the uber-dangerous stock handle that Mühle manufactures. However, this razor certainly does not need the added weight. It does compel you to maintain a light touch at all times.
    Three passes and only a slight nick at the Adam's Apple. (Sometimes, I tend to hesitate, before making the shave stroke) I have to be cautious to begin the stroke almost before the blade touches the skin. This is especially true around my chin.
    Ironically, the ATG pass is oftentimes the smoothest. This razor is very easy to "ride the cap" when performing an ATG pass.
    I am going to also add the Alum Block to my focus as the "irritation" gauge. I'll rank the burning from 1-5 (5 burns!)
    Today: 3, mostly on the neck.
    The vintage Old Spice Lime provided an invigorating sting and a wonderful OS scent. This juice is very nice.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Drygulch, NCoxSTL, brit and 14 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Awesome picture, Jim! How is the lemony orange?

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great pictures, Joseph!

14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Perry!
    I think you're gonna like it!

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great focus for the month, Joseph. Nice picture and report as well. One of these days I'll pull the trigger on some vintage Williams. I've seen some on the Bay and on BST but REALLY don't need new soap right now. I'm focusing on using up my inventory!

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great photos and report, Joseph! I really like your brush!

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you gentlemen.

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Jim!
    The Lemony Orange is cold! As I'm typing this I find the orange to be the dominant scent. Of course the performance was Stirling!

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You need a garden...just saying. I have 2 brushes with that knot in them my JR #176 and my B-400 by Twhite both are favorites.
    There is a cake of vintage Williams up for grabs across the street I hear.

20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

In with no focus. Some straight shave improvement, exploration of the Karve and Rex and reviews several new soap samples will ensue. Abysmal results trying to reduce my excessive soap inventory will likely continue...

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, jtspartan and 12 others like this.