I'm Losing It...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by JohnDB, Jul 4, 2018.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I was looking into picking up a new hobby...

And I chose scuba diving. (I grew up with Jacque Cousteau. )

So I've been looking into everything about it.

Then yesterday my tool buddy reminds me that I am going to have to lose my mustache. (Facemask sealing issues)

I'm seriously considering not going scuba diving.

I've kept my mustache longer than I have kept any wife. I've shaved it once for three weeks and grew it right back.

*Sigh*

At least I have some time before classes start....so I can say "goodbye" properly.

Keithmax, Shaver X, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Just curious, why the strong appeal for a 'stache over a new and exciting hobby? I had one for 15 years, and I thought it looked stylish at the time. The downside (for me) was that it took daily effort to keep it trimmed the way I wanted it to look. I finally shaved it off because it changed colors. :happy102: I've gotten used to the clean shaven look and feel now, and I'd never consider growing mine back.

I'd enjoy hearing more about your scuba diving pursuits if you decide to go ahead with it. :)

Keithmax and JohnDB like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You could have just waited for the "Just for Men" to grow out, you know? :p

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Go ahead, shave the stash. Your wife will think she has a new husband! Now, can you SHAVE while scuba diving? That's the question.

Herm

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and JohnDB like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Is "Just for Men" sold in industrial strength? :happy102:

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I use to SCUBA dive (PADI advanced diver status+ high altitude diving experience)with a mustache and really had no problems, first 30 ft(1 atmosphere) no real problems-60ft (2 atmospheres) you get some seepage from the weight of water pressure what I recall and after 60 ft there is not much else to see unless some ship wrecks are in deeper water because marine life does not really flourish all that much below 60ft in poor water advisability IMO. Some guys put a little Vaseline in this area under the nose to help seal the mask. PADI will teach you how to clear the mask and every thing should be alright. I guess if you have no mustache it still would be better for a seal no doubt.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Keithmax, Arnout and JohnDB like this.
  7. richgem

/shrug

Maybe you could apply multiple coats. Lol

AGHisBBS and wristwatchb like this.
  8. richgem

Vaseline for a seal? What would be the porpoise?

( sorry couldn't resist.)

Keithmax, JohnDB and Ron R like this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Go with a full face mask and keep the 'stache.
    IMG_2109.JPG

Keithmax, RyX and JohnDB like this.
  10. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I've just had the thing since I was old enough to grow it.

I'll clean shave for the hobby...

Scuba diving looks fun. Sure it's dangerous but good classes focus on what can go wrong and what to do when they do.

Most big cities have scuba shops that teach the skills well. Better than the tourist locations will for twice the price.
    Once you have all the gear it's just a matter of of getting tanks of air and a lot of fun.

11. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

The clearing of the mask...
    Yep that's the whole reason right there.

When you are diving (from what I've read) you are busy checking surroundings, changing conditions, your gas supply, and keeping an eye on your buddy(s) and enjoying the sights.

Facemask sealing is going to be a must. So...if it's gotta go for me to get used to the sport till it all gets truly routine then it's gotta go.

And I'm blonde...very blonde...so painting one on won't help. Since I've turned grey no one can tell the difference.

But it all came down to finances....
    Learning to fly the new Citation X1 was going to be considerably more money than I would part with. (I have no pilots license) and so I went the other direction.

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Another part of diving is equalizing your ear drums as you descend , a thing I did learn when having slight issues maybe at 20 ft is tilt your head side ways on the ear that doesn't want to equalize and move your jaw around until comfort is returned , air will always rise to the highest point in your nasal passages. I loved diving and met some great folks and it was not that dangerous if you respect the rules and understand the tides. I did a lot of lake diving also and had a dry suit for diving in frigid waters of Canada. I was trained inland at 4,000 ft above sea level and my instructor was almost navy seal type with no fooling around to much with the diving aspect(he never lost a diver he claimed), out of the water he seemed more relaxed and joyfull. When we went to British Columbia ocean coast we were ready and had some great drift dives were the current just pulls you along and the dive boat is above keeping us together and having the feeling that your not alone. Your going to enjoy it IMO.

Keithmax, Enrico and JohnDB like this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I used to dive all the time off of Cannery Row in Monterey, CA, and also off of Pebble Beach, which is mind-blowingly beautiful when the visibility is good. Occasionally, I went diving on the Mendocino coast and Lake Tahoe. Oh wow, talk about fun! Some great times with some great people.I finally stopped diving because the was no time left between school and work. A couple of the guys had mustaches, but diving will probably be easier if clean shaven. IMHO, the great adventures and times to be had when diving make it well worth shaving off a mustache.

I took all my courses at a PADI 5-star dive shop, with the 5-star rating denoting one that is especially good. One bit of advice I would offer is learn to dive in a cold water environment if possible. My observation was that people who learned to dive in cold water enjoyed it, and also enjoyed diving in tropical waters. People who learned to dive in warm water enjoyed it, but were not overly fond of diving in cold water. I am not sure why, as the wetsuits we used kept us plenty warm. Some divers used drysuits, but it was by no means a requirement.

Ron R is right, there is not much sea life past 60 feet, although I did see huge sun stars and a marine snail down at 125 feet. The diving tables were changed after I stopped diving, and I don't think people can go down that deep on air with the new dive tables.

Man, now I miss diving a lot. Time to get the tanks hydro tested and the valves rebuilt, and then get some new equipment.

Anyways, best of luck on your diving hobby! Here is a PADI dive shop locator, in case it helps:

https://apps.padi.com/scuba-diving/dive-shop-locator/

14. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I figured that we can take the first round of classes in October and get our basic bubble blowing card then.
    Then take a big break for several months and get our AOW and more certs in the spring.

Then maybe a quick trip to the Florida Keys.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Wouldn't shaving at depth allow you to join an extreme soap bloomer's club?

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have been diving for over 30 years, all with a mustache. All you need is the right mask. I lived on St. Croix USVI for five years and dove three time a week on average.

[​IMG]

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I hope @Sara-s saw that :).

JohnDB, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.