personna blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rbilly, Jul 2, 2018.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

So i was at a random 99c store and they had personna blades in the dispenser, i have never seen the ones from israel come this way, and its been a few years since I have used an israeli personna so i picked up a pack. Previously IPs advertised platinum chrome, and the US ones were stainless steel (i know most blades are Ss) the packet i have says made in Israel but is labled Stainless steel. Is this a new thing, are they not coating their blades anymore, or have i just never noticed they made SS no coating before. 20180702_074629.jpg

Enrico, brit, Jorvaljr and 1 other person like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Looking at Wikepedia, and investor group bought Personna Industrial division in 2015 and renamed it Accu Tec, while keeping some Personna branding. The website doesn't even mention Personna Blue or the med prep blades.

https://atblades.com/product-category/double-edge/

3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Accutec bought the US operations, i believe the Israel is still ASR. But the back of the package has the name edgewell personal care llc listed as the parent company.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It seems they're even saving money by not having any printing on the dispenser. And it looks like it's a plastic dispenser. The blades are mostly the same Stainless ones as before.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's nice to be able to pick up locally and I would grab those (again) in a second if I needed them, but $.20/blade is on the pricey side for me.

At that price point, there are many other blades I prefer. That is about what I paid for Feather and KAI, and more per blade than the rest of my stash.

Enrico likes this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I was suprised to see them for 99 cents, cvs, walgreens and rite aid have them but in their own packaging for about 7 bucks. Im good on blades, for a while anyways, just didnt have anything non vintage in a dispenser.

7. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I prefer the Blues to the Reds. The Blues just seem a bit sharper and more forgiving on my face.

john zeiger likes this.
  8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I really appreciate your thoughts. Just helps to convince me that particularly with blades, YMMV. IMO, I feel just the opposite - that the Reds are slightly sharper and more forgiving on my face than the blues. But, I have to say that I really like both - just like the Reds slightly better.

9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Theres a bunch of places that carry the Personna Red/Israeli in that dispenser. Theyre good blades, maybe not the sharpest but they do the job.

10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

On a good day you can find vdh blades, so finding personnas is a great suprise

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

If you have any slant razors I find the Personna blade the best to use for great results, why :signs002:I don't know the science of it -but I have tried many great blades and Personna always will out do the competition with slants IMO!

12. Jack19

Jack19 Member

I have discovered that, for me, blues wear out faster than reds.

I get 2 to 4 shaves from a blue, and 5-7 from a red.

Personna Crystals are the longest lasting, again, for me; consistently 10 shaves/blade.

120 for 16.99 (On a large web vendor's site) =.141/blade / 10 shaves = 1.4 cents per shave.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  13. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I've always found most slants work well with any blade.

14. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Personna brand seems to be all over the place. From my understanding the blue vs red was just different packaging for different regions. Having said that I've been using what I consider to be a Personna red blade and it's been great so far.