Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I've got both an R89 and 41. I used to love the 41 but now it's a little harsh for me. I love the 89 though, it's a nice, mild shave. The only downside is the quality of it. The 89 had a reputation for breaking if you drop it. I'm yet to hear of anyone who broke their Weishi.

2. Badgerstate

Im sure they will be fine razors. I find it interesting that Baili chooses to make even the handles on their 3-piece razors out of zamac. Most are brass handles with zamac heads.

MR41 likes this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The Rockwell 2C/6C is Zamac head and handle. It's actually a better than a combo of Zamac and Brass in that it should be less prone to internal corrosion.

MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I didn’t know what they were made of, what you wrote makes me think the handle is weighted.
    I didn’t know the r89’s had a reputation for breaking. That’s surprising.

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Badgerstate

Theyre known for the threaded post snapping off the head if you drop them. From what I understand, the early Roccas werent known for it too (and those are stainless). So much for German engineering, I guess. ;)

Linuxguile and MR41 like this.
  7. Badgerstate

Tonight, to celebrate Germany's epic, stoppage time victory; I decided to pull out my R89 frankenrazor (R89 head on a Weber Bulldog handle). I loaded it up with a Yingjili blade and used some Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood with a Yaqi synth brush. Good shave. I can certainly tell that the R89 is more aggressive than my Weishi but it gave a great, BBS shave.

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and MR41 like this.
  8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Here's my travel kit...

[​IMG]

These little Travel Techs don't get much love but you can pick them up in pristine condition for next to nothing and as long as you can adjust to the short handle they can provide a mild shave just as well as any other vintage Gillette.

The brush is a Simpson's "Berkeley" and while it's small (20mm x 45mm) the best badger knot is super dense and has just a ridiculous amount of backbone for its size. I can whip up more than enough lather with this little brush to satisfy any shaving need.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    brit, Primotenore, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Great Pic! I haven’t tried one of these travel techs. I need to try one.

Enrico and kfbrady like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD July 2nd
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Schick Injector J1
    Personna
    30DCLE (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Dry Dock Lather Bowl
    Stirling Glacial Lemony Orange soap and AS

The Schick J1 is a pretty mild injector.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit, MR41, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What does the Lemony orange smell like?

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

It smells like if you took a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice and added a squeeze of lemon to it. Very natural scents too!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I did not expect the extended staying power of the orange. Next time I'll use less.

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

IMG_1117.JPG
    1932 Canadian Tech (pre war)
    A restored 18mm Century badger knotted brush
    Stirling Island Man Soap
    Pinaud Clubman
    Gillette 7 O'clock greens 4x
    Timeless bowl

One of those shaves you say "I could shave with this the rest of my life!"

Primotenore, brit, CarlfromMO and 5 others like this.
  15. Badgerstate

I decided to take a chance on a few Balilis and found them to be waaaaaay too mild for me. They seemed to have good fit and finish and its kind of nice that the blade tabs are covered on the sides but they were so mild that I caught myself using pressure just to get it to give me a close shave and I couldnt even really get a BBS shave with any of them.
    No big deal because they were cheap but lesson learned on that one.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not sure what the lesson would be there... regardless, I find both Baili three piece heads to be superb shavers (and I'm a fan of aggressive razors). I prefer the wide cap version to any of my Techs or the Star DE and have no problem getting to BBS on my head which is tricky with many razors.

MR41, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  17. Badgerstate

The lesson would be: Baili = not for me.

MR41 and Enrico like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

There are razors out there that ... I picked up a couple recently that I just wasn't crazy about, so I'll find them a new home. They weren't bad razors just not permanent keepers.

MR41 and Frijolero like this.
  19. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Still blows my mind that Gillette felt it necessary to remove an inch and a half from the handle of the Tech to make it a travel razor. The three inch handle is plenty compact. Makes me wonder where the people were packing for.

20. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I agree.

I can only assume that they wanted to get the handle down to (about) the length of the razor head or blade box. And while this makes for an extremely compact package I don't know why they didn't just break a regular tech handle down into two pieces like they did with the Canadian and English 4-piece pre-War Techs.

brit, AGHisBBS, MR41 and 2 others like this.