Shaving brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Norvell06, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

Having settled in to my shaving and having Razors I am comfortable with and all the post and pre shave gear I need,the only item I am looking to purchase is a couple decent brushes. I have basic badger hair brush but I'm wondering are the silvertip badger hair worth their money would be grateful of any pointers.
    Thanks Kevan

2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that as well as personal preferences and subjective reviews on this site there are absolutely no industry standards on badger hair grading.

My advice is to read all the reviews you can but also go with a well-known maker like Shavemac, Simpson, Vulfix, Kent, etc. While you can get an excellent boar brush from Semogue or Omega for very little money (like ten dollars and well worth a try), with badger you definitely need to spend a lot more and you seem to get what you pay for.

A good silvertip brush will have super soft tips while still providing plenty of backbone.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

Thanks for your input.Realize that what one enjoys and works might not for another.I have ordered a muehle boar brush to see if it works better with my hard soaps,but would like to add a top quality brush to my relatively new shaving collection can't be too extravagant just didn't want to buy something that could be just hype.
    Thanks again Kevan

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    There are exceptions and the Stirling 24mm Finest is one of them. $39.95 and it's the BEST badger value on the market. Period.

5. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

Thank will take a look

6. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I don't have one of their badgers but I do have a boar and a few shaving soaps from them and everything I've ever received has been exceptional.

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

Cheers appreciate that,will take closer look.

8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

+1. I like the 26mm even better. You’ll definitely get a lot of bang for the buck with Stirling. Another that punches way above its price point is Whipped Dog.

9. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

I have been looking on a site here in the uk,have looked at the 24mm and the 26mm both look good quality and decent price,will read more sites and read the reviews but this is looking like my next brushes.
    Thanks for the help,Kevan

BaylorGator likes this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My first brush was a Simpson Super. I won't deny that it is a pleasure to use. An inexpensive, but nice synthetic I got from Stirling Soaps actually gets the most use though.

PickledNorthern and BaylorGator like this.
  11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Have you considered synthetics? They're pretty much all I use anymore.

12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Silvertips are nice in that they are softer and less scratchy. If you want softer, Id probably go synthetic though. They are just as soft, while be more durable and easier to care for.

13. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

Thanks will check them out

14. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

Thanks,will read some reviews on them,
    Regards Kevan

15. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

I have read that they have improved vastly and can create a great lather,will check some out,thankyou.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This. ^^^ And you can trust Primo. Just look at his collection. It is pure class.

Please don’t let “Silvertip” lure you into thinking you are getting a Holy Grail brush because of a non standardized term that in all reality, just means, “Soft”.

***Edited a typo.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Primotenore and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Norvell06

Norvell06 Member

Thanks,have made the mistake having wasted money on too much shaving gear,went a little crazy when I got into shaving,settled with my equipment now,just need good brush.
    Thanks for the advice.

Primotenore and Edison Carter like this.
  18. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I think the newer synthetics (last 2-3 years) are awesome. One of the best things about them is that they are inexpensive, so you can try a nice synthetic with very little risk.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Another good source for a modestly priced silver tip badger brush is www.whippeddog.com. The owner will work with you, if you want something customized.

20. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I find myself using synthetics most, followed by boar, horse, and badger least. I have some very nice badger, including 5 Simpsons. however, I enjoy lathering with other mediums more. I like larger brushes----24MM is small to me, have brushes up to 34MM and use them all the time. I hope you find and enjoy some brushes you really like. Brushes are like scents in soaps and creams---VERY polarizing.

john zeiger and Edison Carter like this.