Top 5 great soaps you & I use!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Ron R, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Who likes looking for different great soaps!

1. Newbies <1 yr( DE or SE) most newbies were already on disposable cartridges before, stay DE or SE!!

2. Seasoned shavers1> yr (DE or SE or Cartridge)

3. Genral Interest

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I'm new to DE shaving(1.1 yrs newbie...border line seasoned shaver) and found a lot of Great soaps that folks might like, there are so many talented soap artisans and big store supplier MFG's that it will take a life time to have fun trying the different creams and soaps if funds don't wash out.:shaver
    The chart below is a little elaborate but any way will work and mentioning scent and slickness strength and other info would be great.
    If you don't have 5 favorites- mention what you do have or used in the past and have not reordered.
    Have some great soapy shaves!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

First time trying a vote type of thread- learn something new every day.:eatdrink013:

Top 5 soaps that I really enjoy and if folks are looking at some possible soaps that might be your enjoyable ones also.
    When it comes to finding information on soaps it is so user bias and it's hard to make a purchase so I was thinking a way of giving the information to shavers who were thinking of a new soap and what to look for.
    Barrister & Mann Seville: Very nice soft soap and creates a great lather and it can be a thirsty soap so don't worry about adding a little water, it has some floral & citrus scents and when smelling dry soap in the tub it does not do it justice until you add some water and moisten the lather it becomes a more powerful great scent. B&M are leaders in the artisan soap makers world for making slick and great lather soaps but at a premium.
    Haslinger Schafmilch : Great soap and does not have powerful scent but it has a fresh clean scent and the lather is one of the best IMO. The pucks are a little small but it's worth the $10.00 US a puck and they have different scents also. The post shave is were it shines IMO because the skin feels soft and hydrated one of the best out of these 5 soaps. Been around for a long time so that is usually a good reason to buy something that survives a competitive shaving soap industry.
    RazoRock XXX: One of my first croaps and it has never let me down when it comes to a nice sweet floral & citrus scent that is tranquil and makes me feel great, the lather slickness is good and post shave is also great and is reasonably priced for the quality you receive in their black tubs.
    Tabac: Great all around triple milled soap that is very hard to beat by the competition. It has a strong tobacco flower citrus fresh scent that drives some shavers away but I have gotten more close shaves with Tabac than the best claiming soaps. It is a thirsty soap and a moist lather on 1st,2nd and 3rd passes will give great slickness and less problems for nicks and weepers.(The scent could be the only weakness but I do not find it offensive.)
    Taylor of old Bond St: The scent alone is worth just buying IMO, its been around for a long time and is one of my very favorites scent wise, the slickness is normal and lathering is not a hard whip up under 1 minute. The croap is made in England and they have other great scents also like all soap manufactures now a days. It is a bit pricey but still worth IMO if funds are available.[​IMG]

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good job Ron.
    B&M Seville :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    RR XXX :happy088::happy088:
    TOBS n/a
    Haslinger :rolleyes005:
    Tabac :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:

P.S.
    You're going to need a bigger chart. ;)

Yehuda D, Frijolero, RyX and 4 others like this.
  4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My top 5
    williams: love the lather i get, plus history and price
    stirling spice: love the scent
    fine american barber: sent and performamce
    razorock blue barbershop: its floid blue, what else needs to be said
    proraso red: love the smooth feeling it leaves after the shave, love the scent.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Looks like TOBS and Haslinger didn't pass the test

Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  6. Paul Turner

I'm going to have to come back to this thread next year, after purchasing some soaps I look forward to trying. But I'm sure this thread will still be alive then, as are YO and SOTD.

Frijolero likes this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

My top 5 would consist of...

1. Stirling (Executive Man, Piacenza)
    2. Valobra
    3. Tabac
    4. D R Harris (Windsor, Arlington)
    5. Obsessive Soap Perfectionist (OSP) Barbershop.

A recent addition to my den, and as a disclaimer I have only tried the two named, but I find the slickness and cushion of Stirling unbelievable - a cut above all the rest.

Where I have named multiple soaps it is because those are the ones I own/have tried, and I find very little difference between them.

The exception to that rule is Piacenza, as I like Executive Man a lot more. Piacenza is an excellent soap, just the scent is not for me.

Valobra runs a very VERY close second.

Frijolero, Paul Turner and Ron R like this.
  8. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

From what I have in my den. My top 5 are

Saponifico Veresino

Sudsy soapery

Icolonaili

Haslinger

Mystic waters

Frijolero, Ron R and Paul Turner like this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What don’t you like about Haslinger?

Frijolero and Ron R like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I’m going to go with:

1.) Stirling
    2.) Soap Commander
    3.) CRSW
    4.) Soapy Science (My newest fling.)
    5.) Tabac

Frijolero and Ron R like this.
  11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I love your list! It sounds so difficult to accumulate as someone from the UK, I really want to try Soap Commander and CRSW but they all catch import fees to my little island!

Shadow Shaver, Frijolero and Ron R like this.
  12. Paul Turner

I'm going to try a Mystic Water(Men)next year.

Frijolero and Ksblazer like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry haven't tried all of those, but ... Tabac I like the scent, but doesn't like my skin, TOBS is nice to use but leaves a greasy residue in my sink ... blah!

I'm pretty much hooked on Stirling soaps ... great quality and variety. :happy108:

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Look up the story about Soapy Science. It’s made by a 13 Y.O girl named Hannah and her dad. It started out as a science fair project about saponification. It is also fantastic soap.

DesertTime, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Haslinger coconut lit my face up.

Frijolero and MR41 like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Was there another Haslinger you could have tried?

Frijolero likes this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Burned once, I am done with that brand.

18. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I love coconut, i use coconut oil a lot, i love the taste and smell of coconut, but i have never had a coconut shave soap or cream work for me.

Frijolero, Primotenore and Enrico like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Frijolero likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Some folks have allergic reactions to certain natural nuts, peanuts, almonds and coconuts............. Certain soaps have almond oils like CELLA soap, good idea to put a little mid arm to see how it reacts if in doubt. Now I now why you don't care for Haslinger. It's great you shared that with us because there are folks who might have reactions to different substances in soaps.

Screwtape, Frijolero and Primotenore like this.