Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The question is and I don't know the answer yet does the TV specials shave differently than their counterparts? Same with a no notch 40s style super speed vs a notched one?

2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

No such thing as an English Super Speed. Aren't they Parats and Rockets?

(A rose by any other name...) ;)

brit likes this.
  3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I certainly can't tell the difference!

My '55 Super Speed weighs just a little more than my '58 TV Special which weighs just a little bit more than my '65 Super Speed. I'm not sensitive enough to detect a 2g difference in each but overall I think the earlier ones are always just a little bit better than the later ones. Gillette certainly pared down the metal content over the years and I've also read that the later plating was not as good.

I think it's the same with the earlier, non-Flare Tips, although I don't have a '47 no notch to compare.

brit and MR41 like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

MR41 likes this.
  5. Linuxguile

SOTD July 13th
    [​IMG]

Gillette Pre-War tech
    Gillette Platinum plus (3)
    30DCLE (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Stirling Executive Man
    Fine Accoutrements Platinum

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Wow,
    I'd like to know if my experience with se,de, and straights, determined the awesome results i get with this mild gillette tech, or if anyone can pick it up and get the same result.
    This shave was remarkably close. Not to mention the wsp tobacco and pinaud special reserve combination, that's a manly shave. 20180713_204530_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    AGHisBBS, brit, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Wow great looking tech!

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Last night I had a wonerful shave with my Weishi Long Handle with a Dorco Prime blade in it. Id picked up a bunch of Prime blades a while back but hadnt gotten around to using one of them yet.
    I like Dorco blades, even the ST-300s that everyone else seems to hate but the Prime is a step above, IMO. I wouldnt say theyre Feather sharp but theyre right up there with Kai and Personna Blues for me.

AGHisBBS, MR41 and Edison Carter like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

WWII era US military issue Tech or as I like to call it the Gillette Clix since it looks and probably shaves identical to a Clix razor. The handle and base plate are Bakelite, head is metal. Not sure the issue date of the razor but those camouflage blades are dated to 1944, 1st quarter. I do have a question on this razor, is it possible to determine which branch of the armed forces this razor would have been issued if that is the original case?

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg pic3.jpg pic4.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    AGHisBBS, brit, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I believe those were never issued, but were made available to purchase during WW2 (specifically 1941 - 1945). I have the same one and really enjoy it. I feel that its a little more efficient than a standard Tech, but quite a nice razor. Many people find a Clix and Simplex razor to have a bit more blade exposure, but are also nice razors.

brit, AGHisBBS and BBS like this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The case is definitely wartime; a while back, I bought the same case with a partial shipper and no razor. The shipper had a 1942 date.

I think the wartime razors came in a mix of the case you have, a black plastic/Bakelite one, and no case (just a cardboard box/shipper).

AGHisBBS and BBS like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll agree this most likely was commissary purchasable item based on the case.

As far as I know that is correct also and for field issue they most likely used the Bakelite cases since they would have been the most durable. I could see the cardboard boxes being used in barracks or field hospital type deals.

Thanks guys. I think this is about as close as it gets without being able to track down who might have owned the razor originally. I am pretty it is not a surplus razor based upon the head of it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    AGHisBBS and Linuxguile like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I own the same one in the same case.

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here are 2 mildest razors I own that I've shaved with.

mild.jpg

On the left old school Gillette Blue Tip, on the right new school Feather Popular.

The Feather razor is the milder of the 2. I suspect they designed that razor's mildness to be optimal for their blades and their blades alone. I can't for the life me right now get a closer shave on that thing with any other blade compared to a Feather.

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and MR41 like this.
  16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have thought the same thing about their intent in design.

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Is the Schick Eversharp Hydromagic considered a mild razor?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I don’t know enough to say. I have never used an injector.

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I can not answer that; I like the injectors, but I got into bunch of poor blades and washed my hands of them. That said ... to each their own.

A call out to @Jayaruh @jimjo1031 @wchnu and others to answer your question.

AGHisBBS, jimjo1031 and MR41 like this.