How many blades in your inventory? How long will they last?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Jack19, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Jack19

Jack19 Member

I pulled out the box of new blades over the weekend.

Between Astras, Personna Crystals, Personna Blues, Personna Reds, and an unfortunate 100 box of Rockwells, I have: 830 blades.

Figuring an average of 5 shaves per blade (Blues and Rockwells low, Astras and Crystals high,) I have enough blades to last the next 11 years.

I have to stop buying blades.

How many in your inventory?

And...I posted this in the wrong forum. *facepalm Could someone move it?

Mike-R41, Redrock, Demidog and 4 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Only 830 blades, @Jack19! How can you sleep? Head over to the Bay immediately and pick up another grand or two! :D

I tallied up my blade inventory this past weekend. I have more than 2100 DE, SE, and Trac II blades. Assuming 3, 7, and 4 shaves for the DE, SE, and Trac II blades, respectively, I have a 23-year supply. Even with occasional gifting of blades to new shavers, I won't need any blades for a long time.

Now about soaps and creams... :happy102:

Demidog, Frijolero, Screwtape and 5 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Sounds like your ready for the zombie apocalypse.:kar:

I have about 130 ish, with 100 on the way, and another 100 on the wish list.
    But I'm a new DE shaver, still building my stash.
    tp

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

5. wristwatchb

Sounds good, Terry. There's obviously no logical reason to build up a huge stash.

I initially thought I would stick with Feather DE blades, so I stocked up at a good price. Then I purchased an SE razor and some Feather SE blades. Later, I discovered that a Trac II made a nice travel razor for my airline carry-on bag, so I bought a few cartridges. Most recently, I discovered Russian DE blades to be smoother (to me) than the Feathers, so I added some of those to my stash.

I'm making a conscious effort (finally :)) to stop buying stuff and just use and enjoy what I have. I've got enough stuff that I can help a new wet shaver get started every now and then. To me, that's another fun and rewarding part of our great hobby.

Welcome to the hobby, and I hope you have a blast with it like I have.

Redrock, Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Uh well,

I kinda got hooked too.

I've been doing this for about 5 months.

I don't own any old razors but I kinda fell in love with slants. I have 5 slants with one in the wish bin. Used 2 packs of assorted blades so far and think I am about to finish the second run. I have 15 different razors so far and can see how it can add up quickly.
    Just received a pkg of assorted soaps to try, Tobac, Razorock to add to my Stirling and other creams. You know the story......
    Oh and loaning out 2 razors and going to let them check out the new soaps to see if they want to pick some of them up. Got them some blades to try out too.
    Yea, I'm all in.
    Thanks
    tp

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I don’t have an exact number, but it’s at least around 800 blades, maybe a bit more, including Personna Blue Lab, Astra SP, Gillette Blue Platinum, Ladas, Wilkinson Sword, Voskhod, and smaller quantities of Gillette 7:00 Yellow and Green, Royal, Viking Sword, Tomy, Q-Ball, Bic, and Edisson, and probably a handful I can’t remember at the moment.

Redrock and Frijolero like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

375-400-I really don’t know how long they’ll last. A year and a half maybe.

9. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Maybe 150- mostly Personna blues, Astra SP's, a few Feathers....probably enough to last 2 and 1/2 years.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

About 1100 DE blades, plus another 600 or so vintage Pal carbon ones. And about 100 Gem PTFE SE blades. And over 800 injector blades. Probably enough for a couple decades.

Redrock, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

I get alarmed anytime I drop below 2000 blades. ;)

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No clue...enough for a while.

Redrock, Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

About 600, now tha I use a straight most of the time I think I’m set for life. I use about 3 DE blades a month.

Redrock, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I lost count. I just gave away 90 blades to my son's father-in-law. It did not make a dent. I believe I am set for life.

Redrock, Keithmax, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  15. Jack19

Jack19 Member

"I get alarmed anytime I drop below 2000 blades. ;)"

Exactly, this is what I'm worried ab out. lol

Maybe I should buy this:
    [​IMG]

Jorvaljr, Ursa, BigMark83 and 7 others like this.
  16. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I bought 100 blades I think early last year and probably 5-10 sample blades sitting around somewhere. I thought about stockpiling in case my favorite blade ever goes out of stock but I'm worried about humidity and other factors inside my home.

brit, Redrock and Keithmax like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

500 astra sp, 500 gsb, 300 nacet, 200 voskhod ,200 gillette platinum,100 gillette wilkinson ,100 gillette yellows, 100 astra blue,100 permasharp . etc.. about 38 years worth....at 1 blade a week or so...

Redrock, BamaT and Keithmax like this.
  18. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive got probably about 1500. I figure that Im good for at least the next 20 years or so.

brit likes this.
  19. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I lost count a long time ago but I am certain that I have more blades than I will use for the rest of my life. I'm 62 years old and even if I live to be 100 I will not run out.

Demidog, brit and BamaT like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A hundred or so, mostly good ancient carbons. And here I am with a full beard.