What is the Oldest Usable Bottle of Aftershave You Have???

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Jul 22, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just thought it would be interesting to see some old aftershave you guys have, and how they smell, after many years.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A few from the 1960s. Smells okay to me. I've had older.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Currently, I only have a bottle of Superior 70 that I picked up in February. If I had to guess, it was produced some time in 2017. :p

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Incidentally, was watching Barney Miller. He had a bottle of AV lime on his windowsill, Wojo had Skin Bracer on his desk.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have a bottle of Avon Island lime from the mid to late sixties; still smells great! :D

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I know many here are old spice fans. So no disrespect, but several of the bottles of old spice I've collected along the way, sit gathering dust. Mostly because my wife dislikes the old stock. She says they smell old. Conversely, she has complemented me when I've used newer spice products.
    I've tried blind testing her, thinking that maybe she just dislikes the old formula. But she always seems to know when i wear my older bottles.
    Same way with some Avon products.
    So she's convinced me that aftershaves do have a shelf life, probably directly related to the environment they are stored in.
    Pity too, I've got several partial bottles and decanters of old spice and Avon. Mostly collecting dust.

7. DaltonGang

That's a shame. I have some 1940's Shulton Old Spice, and it smells just as good as the newer, 1990~1992 Shulton. I also have some of the P&G/Shulton, that was the transition year, when P&G tampered with the Shulton Original formula. The 1993 forward stuff smells distinctly different than prior years, and I can tell a difference, as can my wife. We both love the "Real Shulton Formula".
    So, to keep your marriage happy, I would be willing to exchange some new stuff for your Shulton Old Spice.:D

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Storage environment is a huge factor! I have some vintage Avon Oland that's at least 40 years old. When stored badly, it can smell rancid. It's not uncommon for people to pack grandpa's stuff and store it in the attic to bake in the summer and freeze in the winter. :shocked003:

9. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Well I'd say usable is probably subjective... I have a couple original Aqua Velva bottles, that are from somewhere between 1917-1930s. They still smell good, a citrus and powder scent. I still use them, sparingly as it's no longer made like this. But others might not be willing to use them this old...

AquaVelva30s.jpg AquaVelva30sBack.jpg

This is true, it all depends on the storage. That bottle of Frost Lime Aqua Velva stored on a window sill has probably goon putrid as sun light will make them go bad as fast as varying temperatures. Also the more full a bottle is, the better it will handle with age...

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

If i knew how to send it without spilling or seeping out I'd give it to you, no trade needed.
    But they mostly have pegs and not screw tops.

11. DaltonGang

The original pegged stoppers hold pretty well, with just a little tape. :D

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Gallon ziplock bags provide great insurance from leakage. :eatdrink013:

13. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

I have an early 70s Avon bottle that is still full. It smells fine and I figure I'll use it after I finish my current bottle of Clubman.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Years ago I had the tall version of that bottle and it was nearly full. Nice mild bergamot smell.

15. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have some Tally-Ho cologne I would guess is from the 1950's. Still smells great and my bride likes it. A big +

16. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Like rectangular tall, or round tall? I've seen both. I think the rectangular came first. But later they made a round tall one of similar style that was specifically marked for professional use, i.e. for Barbers. The round tall ones are harder to find, I think they got tossed when finished more often. Where as people held onto the rectangular ones for various personal reasons.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tall rectangular.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a 20-30 year old bottle of Guerlain Derby AS. Comparing it to the modern the top notes have almost disappeared and the leather and moss are more prominent.

19. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have quite a variety of vintage aftershaves but I don’t know the age of most of it.

Old Spice is pretty easy to date using the collectibles website but not so easy with the rest of my stuff.

Some of it smells surprisingly good and I wear it; but others smell pretty bad.

Just guessing, I’d say most of what I have that’s usable is probably less than 60 years old.

20. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I have an Oland Liberty head coin decanter that the silver plating that has flaked off of.That plating was mostly intact and probably kept the Oland from getting skunky when I got it.I also have an Old Spice light house decanter I think is from the early-mid 70's.The a/s in it was just fine.I have other avon decanters that I am unsure of the age of.