The Slant Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Jul 22, 2018.

?

I use a slant razor because

1. OK OK I USE A SLANT!! there I said it...

59.5%
  2. What was the question again?

4.8%
  3. It just looks so cool

16.7%
  4. It was love at first sight

7.1%
  5. to spite my nose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ARE we there yet??

11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

DO YOU USE A SLANT ?

I got my first slant razor about two months ago. A Razorock 37, and I loved it. I have used a slant razor for my face every day since.
    I'm using a Phoenix bakelite open comb slant fore the next few weeks with 3 more in line to try.
    I see almost nothing about them on the forums.

What slant razor(s) do you own and use?
    Is it your go to razor?
    What blades work best in your slant?
    Ever used feather blades in it?
    Tell your story how you use a slant razor and why.
    Pictures???
    Thanks!!
    tp

Ron R, Tdmsu, Mike-R41 and 2 others like this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I chased slant razors for awhile, but i ultimately decided against them. I find that i can get a great shave with proper technique regardless of style.

jgreenepa likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had three. I got rid of my Merkur 37C. I still have a PAA Slant and a Maggard Slant. Once you discover the Gillette Slide technique, the slant becomes unnecessary. They do look cool though.
    sod150216.jpg paa slant05.jpg Maggard slant.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Tdmsu, jgreenepa, pj3r and 6 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got a NOS/NIB slant I picked up in a trade with member @LOOT . The Lutz is German made from the 1930's.
    LUTZ.gif A closed comb base plate with two different levels of aggression by the reviews. I haven't used it enough to really decide which side shaves better.
    SOTD 02072018.gif

jgreenepa, brit, Angelo85 and 4 others like this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Most of my shaves I do with the iKon X3 slant razor. It is a very, very mild razor still it is having a quite big gap so it will not clog for even a bit bigger growth. I would describe this one as smooth and efficient.

Tdmsu, RyX, Linuxguile and 1 other person like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My slant history goes like this:
    1) Bought and sold a Merkur 37C.
    2) Bought and sold a BEAUTIFUL Hoffritz slant, with mailer and all the trimmings.
    3) Was gifted another 37C, which sees rare usage.

When I first got back into traditional wet shaving, I thought that I had invented a slide technique. I continued to pull straight down towards the handle, but I tilted the razor head. I called it the "Primo Slide"; even created a thread about it on another forum. Sadly, I discovered that the Gillette Slide predated me by a "few years". However, the Gillette Slide varies slightly from my not-yet patented technique. I will have to check with my attorney.

Tdmsu, jgreenepa, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Primo, I believe that I do the "Jayaruh Slide" like the "Primo Slide." I cock the head a bit and come straight down.

Primotenore, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a Merkur 39c "Sledgehammer" and an Ikon 102. While the 39c is a traditional slant that twists the blade the 102 features a tilted head, but a straight blade. I agree with Jim that slants look cool, but I also find the slant doesn't really make much difference. That being said both razors are smooth, efficient shavers and they're staying in my den.

(BTW-pics are not my razors, but you get the idea)

Herm
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tdmsu, BigMike, RyX and 2 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    We can split the profits Jim.

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

On some sites this is called a guillotine stroke or an oblique stroke. I do it as well on ever shave with every razor, excepts slants. I actually have to remind myself when I'm using a slant not to turn the head.

Tdmsu, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    Except when shaving the 'burns', then you have to angle the angle!

cliffb599 likes this.
  12. Linuxguile

I own three slants.
    The Ikon X3, Very mild but quite efficient:
    [​IMG]

The RazoRock Wunderbar, Very aggressive.
    [​IMG]

Walbusch Humpback Slant, haven't shaved with it yet. This razor is the inspiration for the PPA Alpha Ecliptic Slant:
    humpback.jpg

Tdmsu, PLANofMAN, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Here are the slants I have now...
    20180724_183231_2.jpg
    Phoenix bakelite open comb, Razorock German 37 Slant Razor, Fine Superlite Slant, Phoenix Alpha Ecliptic Galactic, and Maggard slant.
    The Maggard has a razorock handle as I only bought the head. A Merkur 37c is on the way.
    Finding a RazoRock Wunderbar is hard so far, but still hunting for one.
    The Ikon slants are pricey too so they get here near christmas. I'm working thru these one at a time with diffetent blades seeing what I like best. Ran out of Feather blades so I have to wait till they get here to finish that part up.
    The "slide" works but hard to do in some places like the back of the gord, yea I shave my head. I find a slant works wonderful there. Just so you know I have some other tools too. So far the only one equal to the slants is my Muhle R41 BUT it can be rough if not used carefully so I found out.
    I have other razors that I loan out or give away but I wont give some one just starting out a slant or a 41, not even on a loan. I'm real new at this DE thing and on blood thinners so a strait razor probably isn't in the cards for me. Since I started using slants I've yet to cut or nick myself, just some slight burn once or twice and a few weepers here and there, nothing a splash of water didn't cure. That's a big reason why I like the slants so far.
    Anywho...
    All the pictures are great and thanks for the info.
    Hoping others will chime in with more.

tp

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

My observation - all slants are low on the left side.
    Does anyone make one with the opposite twist?
    I'm not being difficult. I'm left handed!

tjsgarden, PLANofMAN, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have tried many razors over the years, including the Merkur 39C, but my favorite razor is the 2011 Muhle R41. Once I found the R41, I shut the door on RAD forever.

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    I would have thought that you would have given the Walbusch a test run?

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting observation. I hadn't noticed.

RyX and Herm2502 like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Too many razors too little time and stubble!

RyX and Primotenore like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have two slant razors, Razorock 37 German slant and Razorock Wunderbar slant and have to say they are great razors and got my first BBS on the RR 37 slant when I first started DE shaving so I thought I would go one better and bought the Wunderbar. No regrets owning 2 great shavers, I have been buying vintage Gillette razors lately and the slants are not getting much action. Slants give me a DFS>BBS in 2 1/2 passes usually and that is all I need.
    20180816_164223_crop_464x173.jpg Slant razors .JPG

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Tdmsu likes this.
  20. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I have a Merkur 37C and 39C, and a RazoRock 37. I’d like a Wunderbar if it’s offered again.

I’d also like an old Merkur 37 because they’re apparently more aggressive than the newer ones. I loosen my handle a quarter turn.

I haven’t perfected a slice/slide so I appreciate the built in sliciness. I’m not a “Slant only” shaver, but love mine and the consistently fantastic results.

Uncle Trojan and RyX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.