What was your first safety razor, and do you still use it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 23, 2018.

1. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Hmmmm... My first Safety Razor was a Muhle R89.... I still use it quite often....... The Rockwell 2C is currently my go to... Plate 1 and 3... Wish the handle was longer... Does anybody out there know if the Maggard MR6 handle fits the Rockwell head plate?? :happy093:

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  2. mantic

mantic U TOOB

My first was an all-plastic Zorrik (Indian) from the dollar store, followed very quickly by a Merkur Progress. :)

Droo78, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 7 others like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most razor handles work with most razor heads. The MR6 handle uses standard Gillette threading, so if you have any Gillette 3 piece razors, you can check to see if that will work.

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Nice to see you drop in, Mantic. :)

BigMark83 and Keithmax like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Mine was a Ming Shi that had Big Roc etched on the doors. The razor was advertised on fleabay as a red tip clone. I pif'd it shortly after joining TSD.

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  6. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Das kool thanks for the insight.... I dont currently own a Gillette Razor but thanks for the prompt response.:transport016:

Keithmax likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    From another forum:
    Well, most of my handles work with the 6S even if the threading is not exactly the same, but some of them do not screw all the way to the head of the razor. The two indentations that run along the head prevent some of the handles (including a Maggard MR18) from sitting flush with the 6S plate.

*The same thread mentioned that the ikon handles and the razorock barberpole handle work fine with the 6S.

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  8. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Mantic jump on my issue my brotha..... Help the Silks out...:whacky025:

9. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Thanks Sir... How did the MR18 Shave on the 6S plate...... ? The two indentations are my concern..

Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My first was a Merkur 34c that I purchased from Amazon in the spring 2010. IIRC, I think it went to @battle.munky in trade for a Sheraton.

I don't remember the details, but no I don't and haven't used it in a number of years.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I still have my first safety razor! It's a 1968 N2 Gillette Slim Adjustable. I use it once a year. I purchased it in '68 during my freshman year in college. I had been using a Norelco Electric Razor for a few years but wanted a closer shave. I had the razor replated (24K gold) in 2013.

[​IMG]

12. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Very cool, Mark!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

20180723_155751_Film3-1.jpg 20180723_154032_Film3-1.jpg Wow......Very nice sir. All you need now is the matching gold teeth :cool:

Here goes Mine Muhle R89

++ Father & Laws old Black Beauty

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    brit, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 7 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

my first razor i bought was a g-2 fatboy for the man cave. the first one i used was a ej 89 .used it a few times but by then my vintage gillete bug started. my arist jr was my mainstay for a while ,sold the ej 89.

Keithmax, gorgo2, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

My first, well over 50 years ago, was a Gillette Rocket that my dad gave me; he bought himself a new one!

I used it for a few years but during my twenties I moved from the UK to the USA, to Canada, and then back to the USA. Somewhere along the way it got lost and I succumbed to such nastiness as Trac IIs, Atras and for a very short while a Braun electric that I hated.

Up to about 5 years ago I was using disposables but when I stopped working, and stopped rushing out the door at 6am every morning to commute into Manhattan, my wife bought me an EJ DEL89L with a matching stand and brush. I was absolutely fine with that razor - and I still like and use it - until I foolishly started looking at websites such as this one and that precipitated a bad case of RAD that I think I have just about under control.

Of course, I'd trade all the vintage Gillettes I now have for my dad's old Rocket.

Keithmax, brit, gorgo2 and 9 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Never owned a safety razor until 2014. Weishi. (Micro-touch One). Still use it occasionally.
    Been falling down the rabbit hole ever since. :)

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rockwell-razor-club.455470/page-30

Here is the thread, you can read it for yourself. I don't have anymore information than what I've already given you.

My understanding is that it worked fine, it just didn't screw flush with the head. Just 2 or 3 mm removed from the handle would eliminate that problem.

Use sandpaper?

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  19. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Great,Thanks for all your help !

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  20. jar

jar Well-Known Member

IIRC it was a hand-me-down TECH or SuperSpeed from Dad and I think I still have both of them but if I must be honest, I never paid attention to things like date codes and one TECH looks pretty much like another TECH and one SuperSpeed looks... well, you get the idea. The problem is that I've added maybe a herd or three of Techs and SuperSpeeds over the last sixty years or so and to point to one and say, "That's It!" requires a strong suspension of critical analysis.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 3 others like this.