What was your first safety razor, and do you still use it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Yes!!
    This group seems to have that affect on the wallet.

WEISHI Nostalgic Long Handle Butterfly
    Or Merkur 23C Long Handle or a Van Der Hagen Razor. I got them at the same time and it has only been just over 5 months but I can't for the life of me remember what one was first. Maybe the 23c??
    Anyway
    The Van der Hagen is loaned out, gave away the WEISHI twice so I'm on number 3, still have the 23c. I use them on the head when I have a bump that a slant won't slide over with out cutting it off. Ouch! Darn deer flies...
    tp

bayercy, PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

My first was a Lord L6, that I quickly put an EJ handle on. It remained my absolute favorite for years, despite a 60 razor collection, until the last year when I got a Rockwell 6s in stainless, and also rediscovered injectables. It will forever remain on my top-o-the-heap list.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I expected those to pop in this thread before now. :)

bayercy, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Me too. Possibly some are embarrassed?

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    They did. I posted it a couple of days ago. Post #37 and no, I was not embarrassed.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    bayercy, RyX, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My first was an Edwin Jagger DE89 (4/2014). Saw the Pawn Star ad, became interested, researched and bought a good razor, not their knockoff. The DE89 is still one of my favorites.

Herm

bayercy, RyX, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Merkur 38C HD was my first safety razor. I gave it to a friend to introduce him to our way of shaving. He still uses it and it’s his only razor.

bayercy, RyX, Herm2502 and 7 others like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

First *ever* was probably either my dad's old pre-War Tech or a Blue-tip SS that I had found in a drawer. Both are long since lost.

First in my current journey would be a J2 SS.

bayercy, RyX, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    bayercy, Keithmax, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I also learned a few lessons from my first razor. First off if you are going to spend $$$ on a razor it should be more sturdy than what the Merkur turned out to be. First I chipped the head on it then the adjustment knob went. For that price I shouldn't have had those type of problems you expect that from cheap Chinese stuff not German engineered and made razors. I learned 2 things. One, to have a second razor on hand hence the Gillette 3 pc Tech purchase. Two, metals like brass are much more durable and better for razors since they don't shatter or break easily and are easy to put back into shape if they distort.

I also vowed I would never pay that much again for a working razor which I did until I started collecting. Even then I've only so far purchased 2 razors that cost more than a new Merkur Progress.

bayercy, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

When I first started shaving, I bought and used a Merkur 34HD. Unfortunately, on the last cruise wife and I were on I forgot to pack it for the return trip home. I have a fondness for short, heavy handled razors and that one fit the bill. Might purchase another one just to have it.

bayercy, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    A Gillette Fatboy or a British Aristocrat will also tick those points. :)

bayercy, AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Right now I'm using a ATT R1 with a Maggards handle (short, thick, and heavy) and I love it. I think the handle weight in at 102 grams on my scale. It makes the balance just right for me.

bayercy, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  14. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Merkur 34c. No never use it anymore.
    Timeless 68oc is my go to
    Right now im using the dart

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I started out with the mostly plastic Feather Popular razor. As soon as I realized that DE shaving wasn't going to be a passing fad, I stopped using it because it didn't shave me close enough. I replaced it with a Merkur three piece which I still have in use.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    bayercy, Keithmax, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I used it today and had a very nice shave. [​IMG]

bayercy, brit, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  17. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

My first and only razor so far has been a Weishi Long handle butterfly. Since I've only been DE shaving for about a month I definitely still use it. :)

bayercy, Keithmax, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

34C and I still use it in my 7 razor rotation.

19. Easy Going

Easy Going Member

I received my first safety razor from my father -- Gillette. In two days I will start using a Feather AS-D2.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My first de was an RazorRock mission. I haven’t used a de in well over 2 years.

bayercy, Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.