Using Up my Sample Stirling Glastonbury Bath Bar

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Michael_W, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Okay, so, when I sent away for my Stirling Scots Pine Sheep Shave Soap, I got a sample bath bar of their Glastonbury scent. Well, I used it to the point I had to fold it up in order to use it, and it occurred to me that rather than let it sit on the shower shelf having switched to by Scots Pine bath bar that I bought, why not use the Glastonbury in my shave bowl and whip up a lather with that until it's gone?

This will, of course, mean lathering directly on what remains of the bath bar sample—but then, I'm not really concerned about that as my intention is to use it up more quickly.

Just sharing random thought meat. What are your thoughts?

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I suppose it could work. You'd be giving it the "Williams" treatment, eh?

Michael_W likes this.
  3. Michael_W

Pretty much, ha ha!

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Nowe that you suggest that, I think I got a freebie bath soap(albeit small)from Doc Ezlovan, with my last order. Maybe I'll dig it out if it's still around and do some experimenting :).

RyX and Michael_W like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

There may be a difference in the formulation of bath bars VS. shave soaps. Let us know how it goes!

6. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

How do you find the scent of the bath bar? I bought a few Stirling bath bars to try out scents and found them to be fairly weak compared to shave soaps. I posted that on another forum and some people said they had the same experience, while others thought the strength, while not as strong as the shave soap, was perfect for bath soap.

RyX and Michael_W like this.
  7. Michael_W

I found the scents pleasing enough and not all that weak, but I have noted that they do tend to drop off faster than the shave soaps. Maybe it's because they get so much more exposure to open air.

RyX likes this.
  8. Michael_W

Okay, I shaved this morning using the Glastonbury sample bath bar and my Omega boar brush. I used a Ladas blade in my Merkur 34c HD for the last time before changing it out (I got about seven uses in total from the blade, by the way).

The lather was nice and rich, very creamy, but dried a bit quickly requiring me to add water to it periodically throughout my shave as I went through my passes. It wasn't as slick as my Scots Pine Sheep shave soap, which I presume is because having been formulated for bathing and not shaving, it wasn't meant to provide as slick a lather. Still, I managed a BBS shave with it.

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

the lather did dissipate at all?

10. Michael_W

There was some dissipation at first, but only because I initially used a bit too much water. But like I said, it began to dry fairly quickly—presumably because the pieces of soap remained in the bowl to soak up the excess.

Linuxguile likes this.