August 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What's your choice of an adjustable for August?

1. Fatboy

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Slim

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Black Beauty

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Toggle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Schick "M"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. More than one

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Something else

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. Dedicated Dark Sider - straights all the way!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Arko with whatever I use.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Cookies. They're real. We saw them. There's proof.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to Adjustable August 2018!!!

This is the month we break out the adjustables! The Fatboys, Slims, Black Beauties, Schick Type M’s – you name it….if it adjusts we use it! Or, we don’t. As always, the theme is here for those who want, and if you don’t want then do whatever floats your boat. Don’t forget the secondary theme – add some Arko to the Adjustable! The classic Turkish delight deserves a bit of extra love from time to time. Now, before we move on, a quick word from the Cartel.

July was one of the most fun months we’ve had around here, and I want to thank all of you for your constant participation in the thread, those of you who trekked to the meetup, and those of you who wanted to be there and will be the next time! Lots of great discussions, lots of great setups and lots of great support as well! This group is, as we know, primarily a shaving technique group. We support newbies in learning how to shave and each other in improving our shaves and learning new gear and techniques. But…..we also do more than just shave. We talk, share joy, grief, worry, and just plain life! I have no idea how we do it sometimes but….we do and I hope we never stop. Ok, wipe your eyes. Enough mushy stuff.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Anything that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Any criticism of Russian steel of any kind will be met with swift and ferocious retribution. Ok, so maybe not so swift. The guys have to sober up first. And ferocious? Well, at least slightly uncomfortable to listen to. Plus their breath can kill charging bears.

7. Any criticism of Feather blades is also subject to the same kind of almost uncomfortable retribution. The Yakuza has started mixing their sake with the vodka from the Cartel boys. Let’s just say it seems to have calmed them down.

Let's have some great shaves people! And let’s get it started with a group hug!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Screwtape, Primotenore, RyX and 12 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am really going to try and keep up....really really.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A noble goal. Or a fool's errand. Or a combination of both.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in!
    I'll be continuing on with my quest of thirty consecutive shaves with the Timeless .95 SC and using my off hand. I'm only at six consecutive, twenty four to go. I should be able to join in the adjustable theme before the month is over.
    I'm looking forward to another month of fun!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m a dedicated Dark Sider, the ultimate adjustable but I will include some DE adjustables to join the fun.

My focus remains consistent, reduce the soap inventory by attacking those closest to being empty. My focus has taught soaps least at longer than I thought and I have way too many. So I’m buying fewer soaps and saving my money for another straight and watch.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I resemble that remark! I'm in for Adjustable August with my G3 Fatboy, and I'll continue to plow through my puck of LPL shave soap. At the rate I'm going, I should finish it up sometime in 2024.

I look forward to riding along with everyone.

7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in for August. My main goal is to continue with soap reduction. That's basically been my focus the whole year. Looking forward to another great month!

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Black Beauty with some Arko along the way!

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I’m in for August. I’ll adjust to different plates with the Karve. My main goal will continue to be reducing my soap inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I'm In for Aggressive August. Ill be switching it up to compare the the most aggressive razors in my den starting with the continued initial evaluation with my with my Blackland Dart which has been consistently delivering two pass BBS shaves. Here are the possible razors for comparison:

Blackland Dart
    Rex Adjustable (6.5)
    Ming Shi (Futur Clone, 6)
    Above The Tie H2
    FaTip Piccolo
    Gillette Fatboy (9)
    Le Coq OC
    Leresche #35
    Gillette ABC OT
    Gillette Single Ring
    RazoRock Wunderbar
    Cooper MonoBilt(I don't know if id call this razor aggressive, but we'll see how it stacks up)

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m in with ultimate SE adjustables

NCoxSTL, PLAla, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Watch your fingers. :happy097:

mrchick, NCoxSTL, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Do you have an Injectomatic, Andrew? If so, i’d add it to the aggressive list. If not, PM me if you want to give one a go.

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I’m in, of course!
    I’ll start out with my two birth year Black Beauties- short and long handled. Might throw in some Arko here and there sporadically as well:shocked029:.

NCoxSTL, wristwatchb, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I totally forgot about the SE's, I do have an Injecto-Matic: I could add the following to the list:

Pal Injecto-Matic
    Schick E2
    Ever-Ready 1924 (Shovelhead)
    Gem MMCP

mrchick, NCoxSTL, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

For me, August means a lot of Aqua Velva, Barbasol and Stoylin Glacial Wintergreen. Might throw in my Chiseled Face soap, too. I'll also do a focus/challenge on getting used to the new razors&blades I got from the motorcyclist from Kentucky whose name-Charlie-shall remain nameless. :). Course I still have my disposeAbles, but [resumably you'll see a different razor listed in my SOTD on occasion. Happy Adjustable August, everyone!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    mrchick, NCoxSTL, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm in with a handful of adjustables. For sure the '59 Fatboy on number nine, easy choice using Ming Shi / Futur clone at 4-1/2, and I might fiddle the adjustment knob on the Schick M to find where I like it. I've got a Gillette Slim that doesn't see much love. If I can't make it work as well as the #195 I ought to find it a new home.

The recently added population here has taken up all my free time. Now my daughter has a part time job (more evening time with Pawpaw) and school starts soon (earlier morning alarm clock - Ack!). Life used to be predictable. I have no idea what's going on, anymore. Fortunately The 30 DC is here to provide a safe harbor during the chaos of a perfect three grandkids storm.

18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm in with plenty of Adjustables... the F2 Fatboy (of course) and both the Schick and PAL adjustable injectors. The BQ Aristocrat Adjustable saw some action in July, so maybe I'll break out its humbler brother (an H2 Slim with lots of brassing). I've also got a couple of SA 109s, so maybe one of them will need to have an outing.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    mrchick, NCoxSTL, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'm in for Anything Goes August! I will definitely break out the adjustable every now and then.

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What's LPL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.