Rockwell Model T

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sabre, Mar 16, 2018.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Glad to see some folks are finally getting their razors, 6 months after the latest reboot of production started. I'm also glad you like your razor after such a long wait and that it lives up to your expectations.

2. DesertTime

I read that review. For an experienced shaver to get cut up like that could be due to uneven blade exposure. Rockwell had some issues with that in model T's earlier this year. The only time that ever happened to me, including when I first started shaving, was with the first Parker TTO. After I sliced myself up, I took a closer look at the blade seating and there was a huge difference in blade exposure from one end of the razor to the other. Perhaps he got one of the earlier ones? I know they have at least 4 variations out there now for the model T, version 1.

blashe likes this.
  3. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

yes that can be the cause

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was one of the first 70 backers, but I opted for a satin finish, so I don't expect to see it anytime soon. Kind of glad about that, since I've avoided the initial rash of teething issues.

DesertTime likes this.
  5. DanielB

DanielB Member

Thanks for your report, oldjoe - reassuring to hear after all the negativity. The bald headed reviewer made a bit of a stink about the T's weight distribution/balance, saying it was poor... but he didn't actually demonstrate the issue.

On RockwellRazors.com's Model T product page, they claim the T is "Perfectly weighted and balanced". "Perfect" balance is subjective, of course, so could I please request you do an experiment for me/us? With your palm facing to the ceiling, lay the razor over the tip of your index finger and position the handle as needed so that the razor balances naturally. Do it over a towel so that you don't damage your new razor if it drops! How far along the handle (towards the head) does it balance?

Most of my razors are weighted so that they balance about 2/3rds of the way towards the head, or closer. Ruds' complaint of a handle-heavy razor suggests the T's balance point will be closer to center.

Evidently Rockwell's idea of perfect balance differs from Ruds'. At 4.25" in length (IIRC), there is no denying the T is a longer than average safety razor. I wonder what the design logic for that was. I've also wondered to myself: if, as Ruds would have us believe, some users find that usability is compromised by the razor's atypical length and weight distribution, would a shortening of the razor be possible without affecting anything functionwise? Be that a post-purchase user modification, or actual product design change. Perhaps a consideration for future retail Model Ts?

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

OK, following Daniel's request my razor is exactly 4" long from the doors to the handle tip. The razor wouldn't call off of my middle finger until I moved it past 1+1/4 in. TO me that means the razor leans towards the handle being the heavy side? Not 50/50, closer to 1/3-2/3? I know I was asked for pictures and when I get around to it I will post some. My razor is stunning looking and the doors fit so closely it is not easy to see the seam of where they fit together. That's close! I've shaved with the razor now for a few mornings and the adjustment is very smooth and so are the doors smooth to open and close. The razor has not loosened up so far. I have only used it at settings 3 and 4 and probably won't enjoy anything higher without being very, very careful. This is not my first shaving experience. 71 yrs old tomorrow and many, many years using many, many different razors and shaving systems. If I had the skill and the desire I could write a book about shaving that probably only a few would bother reading? Being retired and having the time, each morning's shave is a great start for each and every day for me. I have many DE razors and quite a few single edge too. Shaving was always a nuisance over many years for me. Required for work and always a problem, a chore! Now, it's a hobby and just something to do! My all time favorite is a Feather AS-D2 which I can always depend on to not cut me up or leave me with weepers no matter how careless I am. I think the Model T is a close rival. I've tried several blades. They all work fine in my model T! At least they do for me. Maybe I just got a good one? Whoever put my Model T together did a heck of a good job!! Pictures soon! I don't think I will have to worry about the razor wearing out?

7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

pictures anyone?

8. DesertTime

Great. You have a tool that you enjoy and it works for you. Don't worry what the reviewers say because in the end, it's your shave.

9. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

10. DesertTime

The estimated ship date on pre-orders is now October 2018. And they collect the money from your account at the time the pre-order is placed not when it's shipped. Most reputable companies I've dealt with ding your credit card/paypal when the order ships.

Since we are now just beginning to see folks acknowledging receipt of their razor, I have a feeling they've really just started shipping recently, at least in any reasonable quantities. That would explain their absolute refusal to answer the simple question: how many razors have shipped?

11. Spang

Spang Member

I agree. Rockwell claimed that they were shipping product as far back as March, but that claim seems highly suspect given the dearth of reviews or other information that has showed up online. Obviously a very few razors were out there as of a few months ago, but I wonder if those weren't prototypes. And you're right, they haven't been at all forthcoming about the status of shipping or actual shipped product.

The succession of "the-dog-ate-my-homework" explanations for the repeated delays in production makes it seem like there could be more than design problems causing this delay. Between their KS and Indiegogo campaigns, these guys raised more than 620K. Where did all that money go? Apparently not into high quality R & D, and perhaps not into the necessary capitalization for razor production. Rockwell made a big deal a couple months back of announcing that the actual retail price of the production razor would be (gulp) $200. So all you backers got a great deal and, by the way, you can still pre-order (for a limited time!) for $100. That looked to me like a desperate ploy for more pledges and cash. And it is interesting to note that the $100 pre-order price is still in effect.

Edison Carter likes this.
  12. DesertTime

Actually, the only active pre-order link is on their webpage under the Model T and it's $195. The link on the GO campaign page still advertises $99, but that link is inactive.

13. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Second shave with my Model T. Better than the first...less blade feel...the problem is that on one side there was no blade feel...the blade gaps are totally not in sync!

I contacted Gareth and sent pics. They claim to be flabbergasted, but are trying to make it right.

These pics can't really show the difference, but the video at the end might give you a feeling for the flaw...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QwSjPDDhiit78a159

DesertTime and BigMark83 like this.
  14. Spang

Spang Member

To my surprise, I received my Model T on Monday. I had my first shave with it this morning and it went very well. Given some of the fairly negative feedback that has been generated about the Model T, I didn’t necessarily have my hopes up, but I have to say that my results were excellent. I started conservatively on a setting of 2 for the first pass. This produced very little blade feel and was very smooth, but it was also surprisingly efficient. For the second pass I dialed it up to 3, which did increase blade feel just a bit, but with no loss of smoothness. One WTG pass, a second AGT pass, some minor touch-ups on a few typical trouble spots, and I was very well shaved. All in all it was a pretty effortless, comfortable shave. I was impressed.

It’s only one shave, so there’s more to explore (especially the higher settings) as I go along, but my initial impression is that the Model T is indeed a very good razor. Is it good enough to live up to Rockwell’s audacious promotional hype? That’s probably not possible. Is it good enough to overcome the negativity generated by the long delays and the assertions of being less than forthcoming in dealing with their backers over the course of the campaign? We’ll have to see. But the real business question for these guys is whether the Model T is good enough to actually command $195 in the current DE marketplace. That price point puts it squarely up against the heavyweights in the high end, CNC machined stainless segment. And as good a razor as the Model T appears to be—and it is good—competing in that arena seems to me like a pretty tall order. If the business model requires significant sales at that price point, that could spell trouble.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    DesertTime, PLANofMAN and stuartganis like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I agree. At that price point, there is a lot of motivation to just spend $55 more and buy the fully stainless adjustable offering from RE.

...assuming other people don't make better razors at a lower price point in the meantime. The Chinese have tried already, and thus far failed, but they will certainly go back to the drawing board and try again.

DesertTime likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

195 was a good number for gillette...

DesertTime likes this.
  17. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I was getting ready for some pictures when a couple of mornings ago the Rockwell Model T fell apart. I think what happened is the door assembly in the razor I got has/had? the crimped or glued? T-bar assembly and it simply pulled apart when tightening the razor blade to shave with. I don't think the 2 piece T-bar assembly would hold up for anyone. And, now my razor is not useable. Not sure what to do as I e-mailed Rockwell and have not heard anything from them as to a solution for fixing the razor or sending it back to them for repairs. And, I am not so sure there is a solution and that the razor can be fixed? Especially if there is no way to get rid of the 2 piece T-bar/doors assembly. IMHO this may be a serious design flaw? So, no pictures necessary at this point. The razor lasted a week for me with gentile use. Am I disappointed? You betcha!! But, that's Kickstarter for you! No guarantees!

18. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Please post some pictures of the damage so we can all see it. Reading your post, I don't think any amount of care could prevent this from happening if all T bars are made the same. Rockwell has a big pronblen in their hands. I'd be interested to see their answer to you.

19. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Couldn't figure out how to post pictures. It says File too large. Tried several ways and file still too large. Pictures would only show door assembly not connected to razor. I can clearly see the post or T-bar in the handle shaft of the razor. The door assembly is not connected any longer. It simply fell apart. Like I said the glue or the crimp or whatever held the 2 pieces together failed.

20. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I feel for you, as I have the exact same problem when I try to upload pictures here. Please keep us posted about the Rockwell answer.