Let's Talk Arkansas Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Shojo510

Shojo510 Well-Known Member

I just picked up some used Arkies... Does any body have an idea how to distinguish a true black and a surgical black? I have a hard black stone from Preyda with no markings...

Cleaned and lapped with a Naniwa 1k slurry, didnt need much and seemed to work alright. Got a ways to go before I test them.

Great thread here!

John

Zykris likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The Surgical Black will be very hard, very smooth, and non porous when lapped

Shojo510, Keithmax and Zykris like this.
  3. Shojo510

Maybe mine is the "true" black...I'll add a pic...

Is this the same as just "hard" black Arkansas?

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Shojo510

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Shojo510

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

Doesnt look like a Surgical Black. Sorry.

7. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I have a nice collection of Arks, hard, soft and Washita's. Three of my favorites are a transitioning translucent, clear to black. Second is a porcelain white Novaculite and the third is a beautiful butterscotch translucent in a tramp art style case dated September 1897. Butterscotch has inclusion below the surface, can be seen but not felt. The porcelain white took 15 hours over a month to get a slight dip lapped out but it was worth the effort. All three deliver a Ark edge we all search for

B9D5DA93-97B8-485E-B69F-CD6838318D00-46354-00001A5DA2A806A4.jpeg 0B5E56ED-094D-4746-A233-376D44C4590A-46354-00001A5DC706513A.jpeg IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0985.JPG

8. Shojo510

Thanks for your help...So then the "surgical" black is a black version of the translucent?

Nice set of stones@Timwcic!

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Thank you Sir.
    I always wondered the same. Is "surgical" term used for the same stone or just marketing. Translucent black and surgical black, two different stone or the same?

Keithmax and Shojo510 like this.
  10. Shojo510

I have sent a message to the maker of mine to ask help in identifying, No response yet...:innocent

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

20180803_132024.jpg 20180803_132043.jpg 20180803_132539.jpg This is my surgical black arkansas. It's almost solid black, ultra smooth when lapped with a little dark grey in the mix. No pores. Weirdly enough made by the same company as @Shojo510 . I know they offer an extra fine and the ultra fine black ark. Which is yours?

Shojo510 and Keithmax like this.
  12. Shojo510

I got mine second hand and I don't have any real info other than hard black...if I don't get a response back I will try and call. Maybe they have a record from original sale.

Mine is a little lighter after lapping with the 1k slurry for about an hour and half Of elbow grease...I could see the wear pattern as it flattened from dark to lighter shade.

Nice stone!

Keithmax and Zykris like this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

It may be the extra fine black that they offer. Pro cut, my stone is the same vendor as yours but mine was ultra. I had to email them and took about 24 hrs for a reply but they got back to me and were rather nice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Shojo510 like this.
  14. Shojo510

Thanks for your input on my Arkansas:eatdrink047:

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Got a soft and hard ark now coming from Dan's. Looking forward to getting my hands on them and ultimately getting to know the stones.

Paul76, Shojo510 and M14Shooter like this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Just landed. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna get this bad boy lapped and try a refresh with it then my surgical and see 2hat I think. Soft Ark is still on it's way.

Shojo510, DaltonGang and Paul76 like this.
  17. DaltonGang

From what is told, Dan's stones are already lapped pretty good. But, it doesn't hurt to check. What are you lapping it with? Because, depending on the material, it can take 20 minutes, or 20 hours. Trust me, I know.

Shojo510 and Paul76 like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Sic powder. It was pretty flat but definitely not dead flat. Still better shape than the RH Preyda Surgical Black I had to lap lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Paul76, Shojo510 and DaltonGang like this.
  19. DaltonGang

I was hoping you would use the Silica Carbide Powder.:happy088:

Paul76 and Zykris like this.
  20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Good thing I read the forum first. That Hard Ark is nice now that its lapped two different grits. Although the refresh didn't go quite as good as I thought on the GD 66. That was including the surgical black. Ah well, practice makes perfect.

Shojo510 likes this.