Has shaving ever become boring for you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Engblom, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have no AD, I have my ultimate hardware and software. Somehow all excitement is gone, I feel no real need to try anything new unless it is in a radical way different from what I have tried so far. It feels like the mission is accomplished. Have you ever been in this situation? Did you pick up another hobby?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am mostly here. I have been using the same razor and brush for years. The only variations are blades, soaps, and a/s and only because I have so many of them. I rarely post in the SOS thread because my shaves are rather boring.

I have not picked up another hobby.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

This is a bad thread

You guys are scaring me :shocked003:

macaronus, Redrock, RyX and 8 others like this.
  4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

It got boring last year when I decided to go minimalist and use carts/disposables and brushless creams. Theres so many different razors, brushes and soaps out there; I dont know that I could ever get bored with it and even if I did, its just shaving.

Redrock, Spyder, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  5. Engblom

I did not even tell the really scary things. February 2017 I bought my RAD-killer. I did not immediately realize it is a RAD-killer so I bought out of habit two more razors. Still to this day I have not even tried them. I just have not been in mood to risk a less good shave. Like that I have become.

macaronus, Redrock, Spyder and 6 others like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I get bored. I think a big part of the hobby is buying stuff. And that gets old and to me gets to a point of why? I like having different feeling razors and brushes with different smelling soaps and creams. I have a small collection that I trade, sale, and restock as desired. I manage to work a little novelty in to a daily chore. I don’t put high expectations on it. As someone said it’s just shaving.

Redrock, Rusty blade, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Do tell, or better yet pics.

Redrock, Yehuda D, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

To me, it gets a little boring in the hot/humid weather, because I don't have much variety. There's more to choose from in the colder months, and I like how the aftershaves stay on the face to present the nice fragrance(as opposed to summer when perspiration can get in the way). This is all from my own experience.

Redrock, gorgo2, MR41 and 3 others like this.
  9. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Not for me. I feel that I have my ulimate razor and brush, but the world of soaps, after shaves, and balms keeps thing exciting. I have ordered 5 soaps in the past week or so. Each one brings about a different experience. I have 5 razors (before I found my perfect razor) and the same with brushes. I enjoyed the journey to finding these things. AD keeps things interesting.

Redrock, gorgo2, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Nope still enjoying myself, though to be fair I enjoy very simple things ... instant coffee, a sunrise, or a full moon glistening on a snowy field. Realizing how blessed I am, makes the simplest things joyful. :)

11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What was the razor that cured your RAD?

Redrock and Frijolero like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes. I've been there, still am there in many respects. I rarely post on the shower or shave of the day threads, and seldom read them except on the rare occasion someone tags me in thier post.

I still surf eBay from time to time, looking for the odd unusual razor.

There's very few razors that really interest me anymore, and I've shaved with all of the truly great Gillette razors, and many of the non-Gillette DE razors.

What keeps me going on the forums is answering questions asked by new members, passing on my knowledge, and researching. Just when I think I've seen it all, something new is learned.

Only a few years ago, "everyone" knew the No. 58 set was a Rocket, or an Aristocrat...depending on whether the person was a collector or a seller, usually. Then I stumbled across an old Gillette ad that said it was an Aristocrat Jr. In the course of writing an article about the Aristocrat Jr's, @gorgo2 noticed a subtle difference that allowed an unboxed American Aristocrat Jr. to be identified and separated from it's common super speed bretheren...and because it came in a cardboard box, boxed versions are vanishingly rare.

It is little things like this, that keep my interest in the hobby alive, above and beyond the friendships I've made over the years.

macaronus, Redrock, RyX and 9 others like this.
  13. Engblom

I joined this forum at 2013 and I have been going through about 30 razors, which is still a small number compared with what fellow members got.

iKon X3 cured my RAD. To say it honestly, this summer I added a Mamba to my rotation, not because of RAD, but because I wanted to have one high precision stainless steel razor shaving in a similar way as X3. It is the first razor I added to my rotation since February 2017. One gentleman offered a Mamba head for 35€, so I bought. I knew the Mamba would be a razor I would like, just because so many complain of it being too mild. Many also complain about X3 being too mild. I really like extremely mild razors.

This is what I use nowadays:
    setup.jpg

So, for most of my shaves I use iKon X3 (the RAD-killer) and sometimes the Mamba, if I feel for a minor change to my routine. Then in the black box I have a travelers Saiver, which I always take with me if I shave away from home. I will take this Saiver to Romania now at Sunday. All razors always get loaded with Feather and I use Saiver handles together with all razors to keep the weight down.

I have two cheap synthetic brushes, both with the same knot. I alternate between these two so they get a better chance to dry up between shaves. I do not use any other soap or cream than Speick anymore and I finish off all shaves with witch hazel followed by Stirling balm.

With this setup, I really feel I got everything I need.

Redrock, RyX, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope!!

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Perhaps you need to come to The Dark Side. The differences and variations in blades and stones are limitless. And it doesn’t have to be all about the acquisitions. The time and work and skill that go into the art of honing are limitless.

Keithmax, DaltonGang, Zykris and 5 others like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Short answer, yes, and I'm okay with it.

There are still a few razors I'd like to try because I'm curious about them (Barbasol floating head, Wilkinson Sticky, and a few others) but I'm satisfied with the cross-section of old razors I've tried so my RAD burned out years ago.

I no longer go hunting for shave finds. If I happen across a place I've not seen before, or move to a new area, I'll explore but no longer make a regular habit out of it (no high turnover giant antique malls nearby, as I had in Ohio, helped cut back on that a lot). If I don't find anything, I'm not disappointed like I once was.

I respect the industry of those making new razors (especially U.S. made) but I feel no need to try them, plus I can't justify spending what I know that high level of quality demands. But more power to those who can!

Also am now content to use carts from anywhere and Barbasol can o'foam. I like soap and brush but I've pretty much run out of soap and haven't felt the need to replace anything. Can works just fine for me, is cheap, regularly available locally, and is an efficient pleasure to use. And more often than not, I find myself reaching for current production Skin Bracer (living in Florida is a big part of that). Having a beard now, it feels great as I keep my neck clean from the larynx down.

Shaving is now at a nicely balanced mid-point for me. It's no longer the driving passion (covetous, to be honest) as when it was new, nor is it the boring daily slog that it has long been for most men. It's just a small, cozy, familiar place that I visit on occasion, and I like it that way.*

One last thing, speaking of cozy and familiar: I like hanging around here for the same reasons cited above by Plan. This is still one of the best places on the net, shave related or not.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    macaronus, Redrock, RyX and 7 others like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

* reminds me of something silly but true which I've pondered lately but not sure how to explain: my ideal shave den exists but is now much more mental vs a physical space occupied by any amount of supplies and implements of hair removal. Anyone else know what I mean?

18. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

For me i regulate my spending, im not looking for a rad killer. Every few months i will get or trade for a different razor, keeps things mixed up. The problem is once you have everything all thats left is shaving. I think a lot of people last about 2 years and then life gets busy and the next thing you know you are using a fusion and edge gel, then a few years go by and you go back to wet shaving, rinse and repeat. As with any hobby my interest goes up and down

Keithmax, Herm2502 and Frijolero like this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I guess I only get bored, or rather frustrated, when I can't find any cool razors in the wild. I have enough in my den to mix up my shaves regularly. Sure I have my favorites, but I don't want to use the same razor over and over. Then it's no fun. I often have my wife give me a number and then I count till that razor. Provides something new and unexpected.

Herm

20. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I’m in the same place. But I wouldn’t call it boring. I am set with razors, blades, brushes and boawls. But what keeps things interesting and new are all the samples of soaps I haven’t tried yet. I get like a little kid when I’m about to try a new soap and scent. And the world of soaps and creams is a big one.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Herm2502 and brit like this.