Emergency Shave Kit

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by COMPNOR, Aug 5, 2018.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So I'm in the military, and as such I'm required to be clean shaven. Well a couple of months ago I showed up to drill weekend, and realized I had forgotten to shave. The Walgreens didn't open until 8, I suppose I could have gone to the gas station. But in one of our bathrooms, I've seen a DE razor tucked up in the paper towel dispenser. Been there for a good while. Still had a blade in it. Unable to find any shaving cream, I applied some warm water to my face and very carefully got to work. Did a decent job, about as good as if I had used an electric. No cuts or nicks thankfully.

So I want to put together an emergency shave kit. For the razor I figure the Gillette Guard. In expensive, I have a few handles, and the cartridges are sealed so I don't have to worry about the elements.

Any suggestions for soap/cream? Maybe one of those travel size cans of shaving cream? The idea is for this not to ever be used, how long do they last? I've also thought about Arko, since it is cheap and plentiful, I'd just need to practice with it first. Brush?

Anything else I should consider?

Like I said, I'd hope to never need to this kit, it can just sit in my desk. But I'd rather not use a stray razor ever again.

Thanks!

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The travel size can would be adequate and the same goes for a stick of Arko.

If you decided to go with the stick you could add a small brush or just rub it in with your fingers. After all, it's just for emergencies.

I've also seen travel size tubes of shave gel.

If it was me I'd add a little bottle of ShaveSecret for pre-shave.

BigMike and wristwatchb like this.
  3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Might want to think about VDH Shave Butter and one of the Creamo products. Maybe even Shave Secret oil.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Barbasol and a blade is all that is truly required.

AGHisBBS and Keithmax like this.
  5. COMPNOR

Would a can of Barbasol ever go bad? I guess if it was travel size, I wouldn't be out too much.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Unused they last basically indefinitely. A full size can is usually under $2. I travel with Barbasol often.

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you want a really compact and inexpensive emergency kit, I'd go with the Gillette Guard and Arko. It's no problem to build a decent lather by applying soap with a shave stick to your face and working up a lather with your fingers. It's not something I'd want to do everyday, but it works in a pinch.

I'd stay away from those stray razors if I were you. :)

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Make (or purchase) an insert for an Altoids tin or similar container. It'll hold a 3pc DE, couple blades, maybe even a checker sized slice of Arko.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, BigMike and 2 others like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The local convience stores sell a package with a widdle can of goo and plastic disposable. If you want pop me an addy and I will send you a few. Those cans of goo will last longer then we will ever worry about.

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

11. Bama Samurai

RyX, wristwatchb and Enrico like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

To be fair, I found it hard to see the emergency. Military or otherwise; I work with the premise of always be prepared. Hence I never showed up to school, drill, work or church in need of a shave (barring an medical emergency). This is no disrespect to OP, but I stand behind the simple Tech, so I can honestly say ...
    IMG_1115.JPG

:shaverCarry on.:happy088:

AGHisBBS, RyX, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Those little cans of barbasol work well and last until they rust out. As for shaving cream, I've used shaving cream that was 50+ years old. As long as it's sealed, it really doesn't go bad. Soap, and shaving cream is a type of soap, is really shelf stable. I wouldn't bother with a brush for a compact emergency kit.

I don't recommend any other canned shaving product other than barbasol. 50-80 gram tubes of shaving cream are easy to find, if you have a preference for a specific type. Maca root with aloe shaving cream is easy to find if you have a The Body Shop nearby. It lathers nicely too, if you decide to put a brush in the kit.

Edit: whole foods carries Kiss my Face shaving cream tubes too, if you have one of those around. Target has a good selection of men's shaving products too. Probably the best selection of all the big box stores.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai, RyX and 3 others like this.
  14. COMPNOR

It is not something I want to do again, that is for sure.

My only concern (and perhaps unfounded) is that once i open that tuck from the wrapper, the next time im in need of it the blades will be rusted.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I like the Arko suggestion, it seems perfectly suited in compactness and shelf-life. You could wrap it to the razor with a rubber band.
    The real trick, IMO, is an emergency after shave. Prorasso comes in 3 1/2 oz bottles, or maybe you can find something smaller in the travel secton of your local drug store.
    As for the razor itself, how about a Bic single blade disposable?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I found a travel can of Barbasol in some luggage that I hadn't used in about 10 years and it worked fine.

Keithmax, Enrico and wristwatchb like this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Years ago when I worked 2 full time jobs I had a shaving kit for lack of a better word. Needing to clean up between jobs, I had a bar of Dove soap in a soap plastic travel case like they now sell at walmart, and a disposable razor amung other things. Dove soap worked for shaving and a quick wash up.
    Edit
    Oh and I drilled holes in the top of the soap case so it would dry out between uses.
    tp

AGHisBBS, Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

You have the razor and blades issue covered. As for soap/cream, I suggest any tube of inexpensive cream like Nivea Original will do fine. You don't need a brush, just put some cream on your palm add a few drops of water and work it into your whiskers. Or a puck of Williams...it will last forever, just wet the puck and rub it on your whiskers. No brush necessary.