Compact Travel Case

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Aug 8, 2018.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Last year before I moved, I started on an idea to make a compact travel case with everything needed for a shave. After going through some boxes, I came across the case I was going to use. It's an old electronic cigarette case with the dimensions of L - 5.7", W - 3.2", H - .95". At the time, I already started working on it by removing the plastic insert from the bottom and used the rubber part of an old mouse pad to line it. The first two pics of the case..........
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

The following are items I planned on putting inside the case. My Rockwell 6C razor and a Gillette blade case, as the Rockwell needs a case anyway. The next two items are from a vintage Traveler's Kit that fit into a hair brush, along with a Gillette Tech razor. A badger shave brush and a shave cream container which dispenses the cream by twisting it, similar to a lip balm..........
    3.jpg

I had some dense foam, like the type used in packing fitted items, but didn't want to make one to fit inside and cut out areas as this would take up too much room. So I just cut out pieces to separate the items and have them all fit inside the case. The two compartments on the right, I added another layer so I'd have a better fit and less rattle of the items.......... 4.jpg

And so the final pic with all of the items inside the case. A nice and compact way to carry these items which can be put anywhere without taking too much space..........
    5.jpg

2. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Wow! That looks great! Very good idea!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Very nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Great idea, bravo Jim.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Cool.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Cool! Where did you get the cream dispenser? The brush looks like it matches the pattern of the dispenser; is it a set?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

It came from a Traveler's shave kit. Everything fit inside a large hair brush. Forgot who made it, but when it comes to me, I'll post it here. I'll probably take a pic of it and post it here when I have time.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

Thanks, it's about as compact I can do. If the case had more room, I'd put in two small perfume containers with witch hazel and after shave in them.

9. stingraysrock

I see that now. It did not stick during my first reading .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Thanks Kypros, and for the Rockwell also. It's an excellent razor which has given me BBS shaves with every blade I put in it.

11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Very clever. Nice work!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

Thank you.

richgem likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

This is how it came. There is a leather case for it, but I don't have it. And now I see the name. It's called The Weekender, made by Metalfield, Long Island NY. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

brit, AGHisBBS and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is pretty cool, too.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. jimjo1031

It's a little bulky and I'm almost tempted to gut it out and modify the insert for another case. It's too short for the 6C handle, but a DE89 or Gillette Tech, maybe................

brit and Jayaruh like this.
  16. stingraysrock

...and with that info, I just bought one. Thanks so much for being an enabler.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

Glad to be of service..........

18. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

You Sir are a Genius. Really like the travel set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. jimjo1031

Thanks Cliff.

20. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Jimjo, Very nice case and I like what you did with the foam insert. I do have one thought though. Very often while traveling there isn’t time to dry the brush before packing it up. You may not want to put a wet brush in with blades and other metal stuff. I use a Simpsons travel tube for my brush and stick it in my Dopp kit. That way my razor and blades don’t come in direct contact with wetness.