The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Some reviewers spell the word "scent" as "sent".

2. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Well hopefully thats autocorrect. Lol

I read the reviews that seem to be coming from serious wet shavers. Not to say newbies reviews dont matter. I just have so many soaps that i want to read reviews from people that have tried different brands.

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Off the puck I get a lot of menthol on Glacial Black Cherry and Lemony Orange, but once lathered it fades a bit.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

4. Paul Turner

I don't know what it is, but Doc Ezlovan has to read that whatever product of his is being reviewed has a great sent. lol

5. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Just read this to Mandy.....

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

SOTD
    August 11, 2018

Karve Christopher Bradley with D Plate
    Bic Chrome Platinum
    The Varlet Mega
    Stirling Soap Co Glacial Obsidian & Black Ice Witch Hazel
    Barrister and Mann Arctique
    Pino Silvestri

[​IMG]

7. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

Just thought I’d drop in for a Stirling update and ask a couple of my usual annoying questions. As of late, I’ve been chugging along with Iced Pineapple shaves and just recently finished up a Scots Pine Sheep bath and opened up Pig Trail, which I think is the Bath version of Ozark Mountain. As of right now this is my favorite pine scent. Pine comes out the most, but I can’t place the rest of the notes, I suck at describing scents.

On to the annoying questions. I’ve really enjoyed Iced Pineapple thus far, and to my surprise I’m enjoying the menthol kick from it. So my question to the fellow Stirling menth heads is this, what’s the next step? I’m not so sure I’m into the 10/10 face freezer but after a month of shaves with Iced Pineapple I’m left wanting a little more. What do you guys suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Shadow Shaver

Shadow Shaver Well-Known Member

I'm just getting into the menthol mentality myself, but if you're not willing to try a glacial, then it seems that you would be a good candidate for mbomb here at TSD. You can add the amount that you prefer.

9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I’d just take the plunge and go Glacial Lemon Chill. After a few shaves, you start getting used to the menthol level pretty quickly.

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Iced pineapple gets you pretty use too the menthol. I didn't have any difficult transitioning to the glacials after having some time with the Iced Pineapple

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. Shadow Shaver

Looks like I missed out on the lemony orange! I messed up on my last order and was hoping to get it with the EDTs. Major goof on my part.

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I agree with the others - go glacial! I was scared to death of a glacial soap after trying Margaritas in the Arctic. But now Iced Pineapple, to me, is about a 1 or 2 on the menthol scale. There's just a hint of it that I detect. I love the glacial soaps. Lemon Chill is outstanding.

13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

If you're not sure, then my suggestion would of course be samples. That's the cheap way to become sure one way or the other.

Frozen tundra is the only one I think that has more menthol than iced pineapple but less than the glacials.

The scent descriptions page rates the menthol levels where applicable: https://www.stirlingsoap.com/pages/scent-descriptions

14. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I’m a sweaty beast also, so I’m awaiting your testing before ordering. There are several scents that I already know I like, but going “natural” might not be for me...........at least not in this record heat.

I’m knocking down a gallon of water a day right now (two on Wednesday during an especially tough day outside)............and with a small fraction of my normal bathroom breaks.

15. gott654

Major Facepalm,That’s a great idea. I usually don’t go for samples since they’re usually about the size of a pin head, forgot that Stirling’s are a full ounce.

16. Paul Turner

And?????????????? :)

17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

He will probably let us know when she stops laughing and gets off the floor!
    ;)

18. Shadow Shaver

Wow! I just shaved with my 1st glacial, Eskimo Tuxedo. Loved it!!! I couldn't smell the SDM a whole lot but that was an easy fix with SDM aftershave. The wife loves the mix. Thank you to all you menthol heads for talking about your wonderful face freezes. I'm upset that I missed out on the Summer scents now.

19. gott654

Me too. I wanted Lemony Orange, but snoozed and lost

20. Paul Turner

I hope I was one of those who talked about face freezes. If not, I'm happy to repeat for you my reaction to my first Glacial Wintergreen shave:

OOYEEEOWWWWWOOOUUUGHHHHHHH!!! (but I liked it).