The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I want an English flat bottom tech. NOS would be nice, but that will never happen. We can dream though, can't we?

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    English Flat Bottom Techs are suprisingly common, and you can probably pick one up for 25-30£ from a British forum. It's the raised flat bottom techs that are a bit more rare.

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Added psycho tech section.

brit likes this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thank you for an interesting article. You have already answered one niggling question for me: I have my Dad's early Canadian triangle - slot fathandled Tech with a 1932 patent date. Since Dad was born in 1929, I couldn't figure out how he came to buy a 1932ish razor in a drugstore. However, if the 1932 Canadian patent date was really a NEW patent stretched to cover the Tech too, and this model razor didn’t start production until some time in 1939 and then was made for awhile before changes were introduced for War purposes, then it makes perfect sense that Dad could have bought this one as NOS stock in a rural Prairie drugstore in his teens around 1944 or 1945...

Btw, that Canadian triangle Tech is a great razor -- mild but very efficient. I have fancier, more expensive and much flashier razors, but honestly have none that give a better result. I know after Dad abandoned wetshaving for the high tech new electric shaving in the mid-1950s, he still kept that Tech in his medicine cabinet for decades as his armpit razor -- which is how it survived to land in my hands...

jtspartan, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Sounds logical. Hopefully I'll be able to narrow down the dates once I start on the Canadian tech razors.

jtspartan and brit like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Agreed.

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have a large tech collection that I would show, but since I switched phones a while back, I haven't been able to upload pics.

brit likes this.
  8. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Do you have any sense of how common or uncommon the Slim Handle Tech is? I have stumbled across many (and I mean many) Fat Handle Techs but have only come across one Slim Handle Tech.

Jorvaljr, brit and Enrico like this.
  10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

An interesting read; thank you for posting it. One of the more interesting parts, to me, was the fact that the diamond shaped-indentation is "an elongated depression moulded or otherwise formed in the body of the blank and serving to stiffen it in a marked degree against being deformed either longitudinally or transversely". Also, the scoring on the safety bars is to "prevent slipping of the razor in a direction parallel to the blade edge."

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Fascinating read. I had no idea the design was so completely driven by the switch to sheet metal.

12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Very interesting & informative read, I enjoyed it & will follow your research as you add to it. Thank you for taking the time to investigate, research, & compile the information.

brit likes this.
  13. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

From my experience the DE89 is the least aggressive razor I own.

14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Try a RazoRock mamba then.

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i purchased 2 mint thin handle examples from greece recently. they appear quite regularly. still not nos though.

16. brit

brit in a box

i purchased 2 british flat bottom techs with slim handles.they are less common than fh. i haven t seen slim handle u.s. or canadian versions.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  17. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

My Tech is the least and most aggressive (and middle of the road) razor I own:
    [​IMG]
    SCNR

brit, jmudrick, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

They are pretty common in Europe . It wasn’t hard for me to get one. And it wasn’t hard for me to get the Bakelite case shortly after. I’ve seen plenty.

Rusty blade and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

and for decent prices as well...

Rusty blade and Jorvaljr like this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Yes sir very nicely priced. Compared what I’ve seen fat handle techs here go for I was surprised how inexpensive they are.

Rusty blade and brit like this.