What Would You Rather Have ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MacDaDad, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Simply put, what would you rather have to put your shave on? A Vintage Gillette SuperSpeed 47' or a new Merkur 34 c? The blade of choice, your choice, it doesn't matter. ;)

dmshaver, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I'm not a really big fan of Super Speeds even though I own one but I'd take the Super Speed over the 34C any day. And I have a 34C as well. Actually both the Super Speed and the 34C both sit in a box. I prefer open comb razors. The only safety bar razors I use in rotation are two birth year/quarter Slim Adjustables and a couple pre-war Techs.

dmshaver, Herm2502 and Frijolero like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm not a fan of SuperSpeeds as the head geometry just doesn't work well for me. So, Merkur, hands down.

Frijolero likes this.
  4. MacDaDad

So .. it looks like it's one to one. While in thought over the two razor comparison, I figured that between these two razors that it would be a split. I tried to compare the SuperSpeed with comparably priced razor but was new. The non scientific approach to this thread. ;)

Frijolero likes this.
  5. MntnMan62

Definitely non-scientific. As with everything shaving it's YMMV. For me, I find the Merkur 34C HD to be too mild and the shaves I get always leave an area with some stubble after a 3 pass and touch up shave. The Super Speed does a better job for me but still not quite as good as the other razors I mentioned. But, this is for me. Everyone's face is different. Technique is different. I actually like the 34C from the standpoint of it being a quality razor, nicely weighted and it feels good in my hand. But it ends there for me. If we were comparing the Edwin Jagger DE89 versus the Merkur 34C HD, two very similar razors, I'll take the Merkur every time. But hey. That's just me.:rolleyes:

Frijolero and MacDaDad like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have never used a Merkur 34C, but not a big fan of 40's SS. I more of a fan of 40's Techs or Flares of the 50's and 60's. The only reason I haven't tried a 34C is I'm cheap and I'd rather trade for something of equal value to get a 34C.

Screwtape, Frijolero and MacDaDad like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not saying a 40's SS is bad, I'm just saying, I really never gave it enough time to adjust to its geometry to be happy with it. That said there are some razors I gave lots of time and never liked (for me the Slim).

Frijolero and MntnMan62 like this.
  8. MntnMan62

Interesting about the Slim. I'll be honest, I'm more of a 3 piece razor fan and have never gravitated to the TTOs. For one the heads are bigger and I find them harder to maneuver under my nose. The only reason I went for a Slim was because it really is the only razor Gillette was making in 1962 that is readily available for a reasonable amount of money. And then when I shaved with it, I was totally surprised by how well it shaved for me. I did put it on an aggressive setting of 7 however and lately have been shaving on 6 or 7 depending upon how many days it was since I last shaved.

Screwtape, Frijolero and MacDaDad like this.
  9. MacDaDad

I acquired my 38c / 34c (Samo) while placing an order for Martin de Condre .. something about the cost (outrageously high) of shipping and the deal seemed less ridiculous while ordering the two combined. The things a guys does for what he wants or wants to try. :) And I do have an EJagger DE 89 3Dblack or whatever it's called. Not a fan either.. ;)

Frijolero and MntnMan62 like this.
  10. MacDaDad

You must have a large proboscis and heavy facial hair growth. I have a rather large proboscis but my beard is rather on the light side. Tougher than nails but rather light.. I don't have a problem shaving under the nose with a SuperSpeed though..

I had a new slim and about the second day I had it I dropped it and bent the door. I think I robbed dad's flare tip.. ;)

Frijolero likes this.
  11. MntnMan62

Ah. Yeah, dropping it can end any razor's days. My proboscis is fairly grand but not overly so. But even so, I need to push my nose up and out of the way when I shave under it on either side. Maybe my beard grows closer up to the proboscis. I don't think it's any more heavy than most people's.

Frijolero likes this.
  12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the 34C. My first and last experience with Merkur was a three piece. The fit was really sloppy, so I had to fiddle with blade alignment every time. No better than my $15 India-made Cadet.

Never had that problem with any of my superspeeds.

MacDaDad and MntnMan62 like this.
  13. MacDaDad

I believe if a guy is willing to work with / fool with anything that he can make it work. :)

Lancre and gorgo2 like this.
  14. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I have a 40’s style super speed and find it is to mild. When I tried the 34c it was early in my walk unto this great road and just did not give it a chance, it did not work out and I didn’t take time to figure it out. From what I can remember the 34c would get the nod, but I would go with choice 3 if there was one

MacDaDad likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No-Brainer: '47 Super-Speed.

Lancre, MacDaDad and gorgo2 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

MacDaDad likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

True true.

MacDaDad likes this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

34c-the 40’s superspeeds are too mild for my preference.

MacDaDad likes this.
  19. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

34c. Mine is 14 years old and has a small chip in the chrome on the top cap. Been using it since new and it’s a great razor.

MacDaDad and MR41 like this.
  20. MacDaDad

I have to admit that I do like the Merkur 34c/38c .. I know I know just my opinion but I found the Merkur and the SuperSpeed quite similar in the finished shave yet I am a sucker for the vintage Gillette 47' SuperSpeed. .. It couldn't be the shaving soap .. could it? :)

MntnMan62 likes this.