Fake Simpsons

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Preacher, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

My birthday is coming up in October and I have decided that I want a Simpson Chubby from the wife. I have been looking on eBay and the prices for the Chubby 2 are pretty decent. I'm always leery of high-end items for pretty cheap prices. Are there such things as fake Simpson Chubbies? Am I being paranoid? I have seen the C2 for as low as $180 with free shipping.

Keithmax and cliffb599 like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I purchased my Chubby 2 in Super here at a good price: https://www.shaving.ie/simpson/

It's a nice brush - and I'm glad I have it - but I can't claim it performs any better than my Omega Pro 10098 boar brush. It costs more than 10 times the price of the Omega, though.

Good luck in your search.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I would rather have a Shavemac knot in a custom handle from Rudy Vey.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Let's help the OP. It sounds like he's settled on a Chubby. I say go for it. I have two, but have had 6-8. The Chubby handle is iconic. The knots will vary greatly, depending on the hair quality you choose. A CH2 Best you might find for $180. Two Band Super or Manchurian can cost more than twice that amount.
    Like I said, I went through this. I would suggest that if your going to get a Chubby, that you go all in and get a Two Band Silvertip. Now you have a brush with great resale value if you hate it, but you won't. It'll be your Isle of Man heirloom brush.

Linuxguile, Paul76, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  5. Preacher

I want to stay in that $180 range. If I could afford to do so I would go top of the line.

SevenEighth and theFAT98 like this.
  6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

What about a paladin brush?

7. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I paid 180 for my chubby 2 in best badger. Great brush. Super dense.

8. Preacher

I kinda have my heart set on a Simpson.

theFAT98 and Keithmax like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i have a commodore 2 and a special 2 ,both in best badger. both were in my price range ,$60-90. love them both.good luck and enjoy.

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Keithmax likes this.
  11. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd buy a brush of that quality off eBay, or if I did I'd be checking out the seller very carefully.

A good Simpson is a joy though with a super dense knot. Go for it!

12. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Only takes about a week to get a brush from shaving ie to the USA.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don’t know about that specific brush. But on eBay, look at the seller’s reviews- they can tell you a lot.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Paul76 and Paul Turner like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Here is a vendor you can trust and has excellent prices on Simpson Chubbies.

http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Simpsons_Brushes.html#CH2B

In Best it’s below your target and in super above. Best hair is still of excellent quality in my experience.

PickledNorthern and wristwatchb like this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

These aren't fake Simpsons. They just haven't ... grown up ... yet.

[​IMG]

17. Preacher

18. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

I would choose a vendor, that gives you warranty. Even Simpson brushes have been known to shed from time to time and you certainly don't want a $180+ brush that sheds with a vendor, that doesn't take care of you...not for 20$ difference anyway

PickledNorthern and Keithmax like this.
  19. Preacher

Thank you, Alfredus. That is good advice. How much shedding do badger brushes do? My experience has been with synthetics (which don't shed).

20. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

I have ever had 2 brushes with shedding issues - one WD and one M&F - however in both cases the vendors took great care of me.

It can happen with every natural hair brush - at the end of the day there is no perfect production process.

PickledNorthern and Keithmax like this.