August 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What's your choice of an adjustable for August?

1. Fatboy

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Slim

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Black Beauty

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Toggle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Schick "M"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. More than one

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Something else

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. Dedicated Dark Sider - straights all the way!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Arko with whatever I use.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Cookies. They're real. We saw them. There's proof.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Friday afternoon August 17 - Fat Friday

Rockwell 6s on plate #4 / Nacet ( 2 )
    Vlasta's Alpha T-400 prototype with 24mm silvertip knot
    Renaissance Fair type horn quaich lather bowl
    Kent / MWF in beechwood tub
    Alum and Osage Rub

I was going to continue with the Rockwell Barbershop soap and cream, but today is Friday so I went with The Fat instead.

I dried the brush out too much before loading and didn't get enough product. It whipped up a good lather in the horn quaich, but all the lather was sucked up by the brush, leaving none in the bowl -- a sign of a miserly lather load. However I took it to my face anyway. Sure enough, the lather layer was thin. Slick enough that it allowed for a good first pass, but absolutely no margin and, when I tried for a second pass, the brush was completely empty.

So I reloaded. A bit more water on the brush, a palmful poured on top of the puck and then added again halfway through the load, and the brush loaded soap to the gills and had lather foaming out of the tub. I took the brush directly to my face this time. Sure enough, I had a thick coating of rich lather, with enough dense cream squeezed out of the knot afterwards to have fuelled about four more passes. In short, wasteful. But I have learned that I would rather waste soap than try to eke out a miserly loading to be barely enough soap. In the modern First World, soap is cheap and plentiful...

The Rockwell 6s bumped up to plate #4 has a bit more blade feel than plate #3 but is still efficient and tame. I expect I will stay on this plate now rather than dropping back.

Two passes left me if not BBS then very very near. The alum was totally silent.

Today is hot and muggy with rather poor air quality due to smoke drifting in from the wildfires in the provinces west of us. The chill bite of the Osage Rub was a perfect ending to the shave.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you Clint. Good eyes.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent shave report John. Good call on reloading the brush.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Last (Decadent) December I Focused on loading plenty of soap for my best lathers. Easy habit to maintain. I haven't been trying to finish off soaps for Adam's @Drygulch score card, but I have had some high quality shaves since then. Soap is cheap enough to enjoy every shave.

5. Robstreperous

Robstreperous Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Wanted to introduce myself to the thread. A few folks suggested it in a (Newbe) thread I started: https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/first-shave-so-whaddid-i-do-wrong.60209/

Hope I'm adhering to the extremely rigid forum protocols around here: :)

Just did my fifth DE shave today and I thin kmanaged to break every rule in the 30 day thread. If not please give me time. I'll improve.

New razor, new soap, changed my brush, shaved yesterday with a cartridge. And... wow... it was great!

Clearly I'm still learning and technique has a lot to do with it all but...

Switcehd from a WCS 78S to a vintage Gillette adjustable Black Beauty. What a difference! Right now the WCS is too aggressive for me. Using the Gillette on 5 with a new Astra blade no razor burn at all, even after 3 passes on my neck!

6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Welcome to the 30DC from a fellow newb! I joined up in March of this year. The quality of my shaves has improved immensely! I am still honing my technique, and trying different things but I'm getting there.

Sounds like you had a great shave! I'm looking forward to hearing your future reports.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, Keithmax, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

PLAla, Douglas Carey, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Charlie! Another day without having to don my bunker gear, so it was a good one. I am glad it is now Friday evening and I won't be going back for a couple of days.

9. Robstreperous

Robstreperous Well-Known Member

Hey thanks. BTW, I also wandered into Pasteur's pharmacy in New York City today. Holy Carp Batman! Unreal! It was like a half city block long of shavesoaps and after shaves and stuff... Found an aftershave I'd been hunting for online and all kinds of stuff --- smell it, touch it... incredible.

Made me glad to be in NYC (working unfortunately today) on this hot muggy Friday in August!

wristwatchb, Keithmax, PLAla and 11 others like this.
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

August 17th
    Razor: Timeless .95 SC
    Blade: Bolzano Superinox (2)
    Brush: Switchback/TGN Finest
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: PAA Classico Bay Rum
    Thayers Cucumber
    AS: CC Cat o' Nine Tails

Good evening gentlemen!

In my quest for a close irritation free shave on my neck I changed things up a bit. The hair on my neck grows in every direction coupled with bumpy skin in the hollows. Two angled passes, not a true south to north or north to south, with light touch up and j-hooking under my chin. Dolphin smooth with no irritation. Gotta love it!

I've picked up a few new brushes recently and I'm going to focus on them, at least until I get the animal smell out.

Have a good night and a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

11. Norcalnewb

Would that be a Cricket pattern? :signs002:

12. Norcalnewb

Looking forward to it, Doug!

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That is a definite possibility. I think the DE blade may have the ability to go 30 days though I'm skeptical. Still, tonight is the 16th shave on it. I'm over halfway there.

14. Norcalnewb

Terrific report, Joseph!

15. Norcalnewb

Nice travel shave, Jason! I hope the trip back was decent.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Oh the Toggle will show up. Soon. Very soon. Almost instantly!

17. Norcalnewb

Welcome to the thread!

18. Norcalnewb

Excellent picture, Jim!

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Jim!

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable (Arko) Anything Goes and whatever else we decide AUGUST!!!!

August 17

Razor - 1960 (F4) Gillette Toggle (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (16)
    Soap - Stirling Iced Coffee
    Brush - Stirling Two Banded Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Time to change razors and it's time to get the Toggle on the board for the month. Thanks to @Drygulch who brought his along to the meetup and generously left it in my care, I have a precious on my shelf that's been waiting its turn. It's a beauty and I'm ready to turn it loose with the Personna 74.

Stirling Iced Coffee and the Stirling brush for that glorious thing called Stirling lather. The menthol in the soap really adds, just like the Iced Pineapple. Love this scent. I know, I know, I say that every time. Two passes and touch up and I'm at a very high DFS yet again with the same blade I started with day one this month. It's really getting to be either amazing or annoying. This thing will just not completely give up the fight. However, I did suffer a small nick tonight near the adam's apple and I have to put that on the blade. My technique stayed spot on the whole shave. I didn't feel the nick, just saw the blood so I know the blade did something with that. Alum still quiet except for that nick. I thought the irritation burn I had last night wasn't going to show up through the menthol but it eventually did, so there's further proof the blade is getting tired. Still not worn out though. Shave 17 is tomorrow.

Hope your weekend is fantastic and fun!

August 17 2018.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.