THE GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Yeah I struggle to work out what mine is...

It's possibly a mismatched set. The razor could be a #21 but the case from a "1948-52 Brit Aristocrat" as it has the leather lining.

Screenshot_20180819-094128_Chrome.jpg

Or it's a #15 and Gillette have been playing games with the cases again

Screenshot_20180819-094103_Chrome.jpg

The razor looks like the one on the bottom.

2. brit

brit in a box

20180617_164457.jpg 20180617_164529.jpg me too... i though mine was a 16 razor in an earlier case. i thought it was a typo when i saw this but Achim called mine a late #15 when he saw mine in a previous post/thread.i purchased this locally in canada but i don t know its origin. canadian import from u.k. ?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Not in my normal rotation but I pull her out 2-3 times a year just because. A must have (an Aristocrat) for any semi serious vintage collector.
    img_0907_3.jpg

4. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Gillette reusing cases makes it fun!

That being said, if your razor was caseless, it would be called the same razor as the #16. A third generation British Aristo, and IMO the best one. Nice razor!

tonich, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

thank you. as this is my crown jewel razor so to speak ,i would like it to have the correct case. its unlikely that i will purchase another .a clean mint example complete goes for $300 up .mine was $150 from a friend and he was reluctant to sell it.not being too picky i hope,but i would search for the proper chrome stepped case if mine were deemed incorrect.thankfully at present mr razors sight shows a set like mine intact. i am thankful and very fortunate to own one.
    i do own a caseless #22 with the diamond baseplte in mint shape , but it shaves a little milder and more of a daily driver to me.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and Screwtape like this.
  6. Tonybrooklyn

Tonybrooklyn Member

Here is my Aristocrat it came with a mini screwdriver. Both ends unscrew there are a small Phillips and standard head on each end. The screwdriver has knurling like the razor handle. And is Gold plated i have never seen another like it. Any thoughts on this as i could find no info about it. Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards
    Tony

Ijustmissedthe50s, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  7. Tonybrooklyn

Tonybrooklyn Member

Sorry i will try again
    IMG_20180820_133419567.jpg IMG_20180820_133538899.jpg

8. brit

brit in a box

very cool.... maybe a promotional, free driver with razor?.i don t think there are any screws on the razor is there?

RyX and Tonybrooklyn like this.
  9. Tonybrooklyn

Tonybrooklyn Member

None that I can see I am very curious about this and have been for quite some time but I am unable to find an answer I'm sure somebody on this great site will come up with one but I've always thought what you thought maybe some kind of promotion thank you very much for taking the time to respond best regards Tony

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Tonybrooklyn likes this.
  11. Tonybrooklyn

Tonybrooklyn Member

No indentation I bought the razor about 5 years ago on eBay I just started to get into vintage gillette's I have never seen another like it I often thought then maybe it was a rogue screwdriver that belong to something else and the person just put it in the Box but he told me he his father had bought it like that he also said his father use a razor one time and stuck it in the drawer and I believe him because there's no signs of wear on it at all

RyX, Screwtape, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

you are welcome.

Tonybrooklyn likes this.
  13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

@Tonybrooklyn, that is a very neat and unusual piece of kit! Thanks for sharing!

RyX and Tonybrooklyn like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree most likely some sort of promotional thing. Gillette did cross promote razor sets with things like fishing lures for example.

Tonybrooklyn likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Tonybrooklyn likes this.
  16. Tonybrooklyn

Tonybrooklyn Member

Post-war there's no date code

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The other thing to check is the base plate, if it has pat nos on package it is post war 46-47, if not then pre war 41.

Tonybrooklyn likes this.
  18. Tonybrooklyn

Tonybrooklyn Member

It is a 46-47 it can't be a 48 because it doesn't have the notch for the speed pack and after 51 they started using date codes the only thing I could never find out about was the screwdriver

brit, RyX and BBS like this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The other tell it is a 47 or earlier is the 2 smooth rings on the handle, 47 and up notched versions have knurling on the top ring. The stamping on the base plate is how to distinguish between pre or post war Aristocrats. It is the same way you distinguish between a 41 and 46 Ranger Tech.

That it is a post war I am assuming they used the screwdriver to get people to buy a new razor after years of not being able to buy any of theirs.

Looking at plating on that screwdriver it looks authentic also to the way Gillette did their razors. It looks like it was meant to be kept on a key ring not in that case for things like fixing a pocket knife handle or eyeglasses.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Tdmsu, Screwtape, brit and 3 others like this.
  20. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

My #16 is back from being replated, here are all my aristos.
    20180820_223959.jpg
    1534822938417583124697.jpg

lloydrm, BlaydRunner, brit and 4 others like this.