How's Your Day? Aug. 2018

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Jul 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Pretty hot the last week, record breaking TBH.

Other than that things are finally chill. This weekend was the first days, in years, that I didn't feel stressed out. I can't tell you how nice it is to feel like that when going to bed. It's like when you finish school and you suddenly have all this free time...it feels wrong, but so nice!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Working on the last of my "Level 4" (upper intermediate) level Dutch exam. I saved the worst section (speaking) for last. I have to write out 4 scenarios and then record them. At least I get to read from the script/text that I compose. I don't have to speak spontaneously, in other words. Another question and a half to go and then of course, submit it all by tomorrow. The last question is the hardest... I have to write up and then speak a short (2 or 3 min) business-type presentation. The mechanics aren't too bad. It's just a lot of vocabulary to look up.

In theory at least, passing this exam (=60% or better on each of the 4 sections) puts me at roughly CEFR "B2" level. But, personally, I think I'd be at the lower end of that mark in that I don't have a lot of practice (hardly any) in actual speaking and listening. But... due to other tests that I've taken at other sites, I can see that my reading and writing are on track for that level.

(B2= upper intermediate fluency)

Yes, I'm doing this to myself willingly. :eek:

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Hey y’all. I know, I know, I haven’t been on in ages. I’m sorry for neglecting y’all. How’s everyone doing?! Who is still around?

So, I’m getting married in December, the bride to be is doing wedding stuff today, Dapper Jr started preschool last week. It’s so weird not having him around, lunches are very quiet.

I found Christ earlier this year and have started an amazing walk. I’ve missed you all. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: picture of the fiancé added

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Paul Turner, wristwatchb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Congrats! I'm glad things are working out for you.

5. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

That they are! Life has it’s hiccups but I can overcome it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Constant change is here to stay. The last five years I've been a bachelor, semi-retired, and working as a handyman. This summer my daughter, her seven year old fraternal twin girls & almost 3 year old son joined my household. With their mom working two part time jobs I've become more of a stay at home Pawpaw. Today was the second day of school for the girls, with grandson and I hanging out at the house. We had a grand day of searching for his missing other shoe, followed by after school pick up, math homework assistance, and Spagetti-O's for supper. They chose the canned stuff, I ate someones left over cheeseburger from last night. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring and I'm excited to see the days unfold.

7. richgem

Well.... it's official... I passed my Level 4 exam in Dutch which puts me at roughly CEFR level B2 (=high intermediate), so I'm told. I think the listening section was by the skin of my teeth, but I did surprisingly well, roughly B and B+ work, on the other sections (reading comprehension, writing, and speaking (from a script)). So, to my mind, that puts me at a realistic "B1" (= low intermediate) level.

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and Intrigued like this.
  8. Intrigued

Intrigued Active Member

Gefeliciteerd! :bounce017:

richgem likes this.
  9. richgem

Dank je wel!

Sara-s likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congratulations, my friend! This is quite an accomplishment! Do you plan to use your Dutch language skills for teaching or travel? Now that I'm retired, I've considered taking a conversational Spanish class, as I think would be helpful in everyday situations. My Bride and I visited Italy earlier this year (loved it), and surprisingly enough, the Spanish I learned as a kid helped me understand a few Italian words and phrases.

11. richgem

Thanks Charlie! I have to admit I am proud of myself. Especially since this is largely via self-study. I may use it for travel but it's really just self-enrichment which began with a dare from the limecat... my Canadian friend who is bilingual.

I took six years of Italian in school and it's a beautiful language. Spanish is definitely a help. And Italian is definitely worth learning if you have the time. For me at least it's the most beautiful sounding of the romance languages.

Edit: I meant to add that Dutch for travel really isn't a necessity as so many of the Dutch speak English nearly as well as a native since they start English classes at a very young age. My experience has been that they would rather accomodate you and practice their English than let you practice your Dutch. Maybe they are afraid of us Americans hurting ourselves. LOL. But, unlike some EU nations, this seems to arise from a genuine willingness to accomodate the tourist rather than from some "you hopeless American" point of view.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Sara-s and wristwatchb like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Congrats @richgem !! That is quite an accomplishment. What you said about the Dutch desire to practice their English is interesting. I had a similar experience in South Korea, which is why I only speak 4 words of Korean.

AGHisBBS and richgem like this.
  13. richgem

Thanks, Sara!

Sara-s likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Are you going to visit Holland soon?

15. richgem

No immediate plans to do so, but it is on my bucket list. I used to take some time after New Year's to go to St Maarten which is now off the list because of the last storm. Last year instead I went to Aruba which is also a Dutch Island and I will probably go back there after this coming New Year's.

AGHisBBS and Paul Turner like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m inundated with vegetables in my garden. I picked tons of tomatoes and made six quarts of pasta sauce and a bunch of salsa. Now to figure out what to do with the squash.
    [​IMG]

RyX, AGHisBBS and wristwatchb like this.
  17. richgem

Lucky little troll baby! We've had rain (torrential at times) nearly every day for a month. All my tomatoes are split and rotting on the vine. :( *

* except for the cherry tomatoes which are flourishing. Now, if they'd just turn red!
    I've had great luck with the two types of Thai chili peppers tho... I may have enough soon to supply a small chain restaurant! lol.

RyX, AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

This nice stretch of cool weather (albeit brief)saves me some electric bill funds(no AC needed thus far). Paid last month's bill and was reminded of how much I've been using it this summer! Off to the gym in a while.

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  19. richgem

Well... looks like another hit taken care of. Well... looks like another day's work done. :innocent

12_caters_penguin_dive_13.jpg

RyX, AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
  20. Paul Turner

I like those sweet grape tomatoes from the supermarket(course they are available at other places, too). Great on salad.

RyX, AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.