Back In '75 ..

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MacDaDad, Aug 22, 2018.

1. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

What in the world ever possessed me to change to the Bic cartridge razors? The first time I used them, I cut my face with both outer edges of the cartridge. And my older brother took a chunk out of his cheek with a fresh out - of - the - pouch new cartridge ... And He Wasn't Trying To.. ;)

But Thanks to my son, a little over two years ago I regained my senses and came back to shaving the way it was meant to be. . And now? I'm enjoying the best shaves of my entire life, thanks to Gillette Safety Razors and DE blades, and actual shaving soap and a brush. :eatdrink047:

p.s. Ya, I know that I'm preaching to the choir.. ;)

2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I know how ya feel. I too started with a Bic cartridge razor back in the late 70's. And it cut me up something fierce. My reaction? I'm now a man and I'm not afraid of a little blood. I eventually got the hang of it but am now happy to be using double edge razors (found about 2 1/2 years ago). I've even turned my son onto shaving with a double edge. He's 15. And yesterday he just came back from 2 months at summer camp. I sent him off with a Mach 3 and a can of Gillette Foam Mousse Barbershop Fresh since I figured that would be easier out in the rough Adirondack Mountains. He related a conversation he had with another camper friend where they both agreed that they can't get as good a shave with their cartridge razors as with their double edge razors. He's right of course but hearing it uninitiated from him only confirms that I did the right thing by him and he's taken to it like I had hoped. At least I've done one thing right. :happy093:

3. MacDaDad

My son turned me on to DE wet shaving like I used to do it 43 years ago. :) But what do these youngins' know? :D

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, MntnMan62 and 2 others like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Lessee... back in '75 I wasn't worried about cart razors. I was too busy dealing with 1st Grade. :D
    But, my father was shaving with a (probably) Norelco electric.

Keithmax, Enrico, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Dunno about the carts, but I really like the Bic Chrome DE blade.

AGHisBBS, MacDaDad and brit like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The good ole days. I started shaving right around 1975, I wasn't worried about what razor I was using, I was more worried about my jump shot. 1975. Oh how I miss you.

7. MacDaDad

download.jpeg
    Back in the 'Day', Bic was most likely the first throw away cartridge type razor. Cutting edge, lip, chin or ear.. :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  8. MntnMan62

My father also used an electric. Remington I think. And he gave me his used one when I first started to shave. I hated it. It gave me such a bad shave that it was as though I hadn’t shaved at all. All it did was make my face red with irritation. That was what enticed me to find a better option and the Bics were in my teenage price range.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and dmshaver like this.
  9. MntnMan62

Jump shot, huh? I was practicing my sky hook. Kareem made it look so easy.

dmshaver likes this.
  10. MacDaDad

Back in the 'Day', we used to shoot free throws "under-handed". :kngt:

AGHisBBS, dmshaver and MntnMan62 like this.
  11. MntnMan62

Yep. I grew up on Long Island rooting for the New York Nets and Rick Barry. Got to see Dr. J at Nassau Coliseum. Man could that guy fly. But Barry NEVER missed a free throw.

12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I wore saggy gym socks because it made me like Pistol Pete. Or so I thought!

I got away from carts & electric after 40+ years because of my son. Some dads are turning their sons onto de shaving, it was the reverse for me, the son turned the dad on!

13. MacDaDad

The same here, my son finally got my attention after I used his shaving brush and TOBS Rose. And then came a whole slew of Gillette's and what/not.. Sure is fun .. but .. I wouldn't go back to wearing "saggy / baggy / socks. :happy088:

Keithmax, brit and dmshaver like this.
  14. MacDaDad

And that had to be a blast. :sport001: By the way, you ever play the Bethpage Black Course?

Keithmax and MntnMan62 like this.
  15. MntnMan62

It was a blast. Hearing dmshaver talk about Pistol Pete reminds me that my childhood basketball hero was Walt "Clyde" Frazier. I didn't care much for his flash off the court but I always found him to be smooth, calm and collected on the court and always knew who to get the ball to or could put it in in the clutch. Man, those were the days.

Not a golfer. There are 5 guys on my block who have a semi-regular rotation and they got me out on a couple courses in Pennsylvania on weekend a few years ago. I just didn't like it. I prefer biking.

Keithmax, dmshaver and MacDaDad like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Same here ... except my dad shaved with a Slim.:)

MacDaDad likes this.
  17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Back in the good-ole days I was stationed at Ft Ord, CA using my trusty Trac II. Still a great little shaver and the one that started it all - the cart wars.

MacDaDad likes this.
  18. MacDaDad

Back in the day, my service razor was a Gillette Tech '66' and we had lots of Super Blues.. I used a Trac II for a bit, don't remember much about it other than it was the best by far of the cartridges to that point.

And now I remember why I grew a mustache , I was tired of scraping my lip, not the fault of Trac II mind you but "all" razors in general. I guess I went for a lot of years not knowing how to shave or what to shave with. :)

preidy likes this.
  19. MacDaDad

You ought to try "riding the cap" on one of those suckers. :)

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Ran across this NOS baby last year could not pass on it.

IMG_3939.JPG

MacDaDad and Enrico like this.