Omega 49 Boar Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Easy Going, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Easy Going

Easy Going Member

Started using the Omega 10049 boar brush today (black handle, stand, and black bowl). Very nice lather with Van Der Hagen Deluxe Soap. Soaked the brush in hot water during my morning shower. The brush bristles had some smell at first, but VDH overcame the smell. Brush bristles a little stiff, but not bad.

Ordered two more Omega 49 brushes -- red handle and white handle -- with stands and bowls.

MR41, DesertTime, theFAT98 and 8 others like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The smell will dissipate quickly and over time the ends will split and become soft. One of the great deals in wet shaving.

MR41, theFAT98, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: Omega boars are fantastic brushes! You can easily remove the odor by using the brush to make a lather in the palm of your hand, standing the brush up and letting the lather dry in the knot overnight, rinsing it out the next morning, and repeating until the odor dissipates. This will also help with break in. The Omega boar knots can be quite stinky when they are new. It takes a few lathers to work out the odor.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Those are good brushes. I harvest the knots and put them in my 400 type brushes.

[​IMG]

gorgo2, MR41, DesertTime and 10 others like this.
  5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I have and like my Pro 49 as well. Now, my duty as an enabler compels me to tell you that you now need a Connaught Omega brush with faux jade handle. The knot is superior and is super soft out of the box. It has become my favorite boar brush. :bounce015:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    DesertTime, SevenEighth and Keithmax like this.
  6. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

The Omega 49 is my favourite for bowl lathering. The extra loft height and handle length really saves my knuckles on the inside of a pottery scuttle apart from anything. The brush wears extremely well over time, even if you are harsh with it.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm currently using my Omega '98 boar knot set in my JR #160 brush handle. It works great and produces tons of lather.

SOTD_080618.jpg

brit, theFAT98, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

@Easy Going stick with the brush for about a month, you will find that knot is just as good as any badger.

wristwatchb, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  9. Easy Going

Easy Going Member

I plan to rotate 7 Proraso scents (preshave, soap/cream, and aftershave) among seven new boar brushes.

Seven boar brushes:
    A1 Omega 49 boar red handle
    B1 Omega 49 boar black handle
    C1 Omega 49 boar white handle
    D. Parker boar rosewood handle
    A2 Omega 49 boar red handle
    B2 Omega 49 boar black handle
    C2 Omega 49 boar white handle

Proraso scents:
    3 preshave
    7 cream tube/croap tub
    7 aftershave lotion/balm

Rotation:
    Proraso Red Sandalwood, Moisturizing and Nourishing:
    A1 Omega 49 red brush, red preshave,
    red tub, red aftershave lotion.

Proraso Green Menthol, Refreshing and Toning:
    B1 Omega 49 black brush, green preshave,
    green tub, green aftershave lotion or balm.

Proraso White, Sensitive Skin:
    C1 Omega 49 white brush, white preshave,
    white tub, white aftershave balm.

Proraso Cypress & Vetyver:
    D. Parker rosewood brush, green preshave,
    C&V tube, C&V aftershave balm

Proraso Wood & Spice:
    A2 Omega 49 red brush, red preshave,
    W&S tube, W&S aftershave balm.

Proraso Azur Lime:
    B2 Black brush, green preshave,
    A-L tube, A-L aftershave balm

Proraso Blue, Protective and Moisturizing:
    C2 Omega 49 white brush, white preshave,
    blue tube, blue aftershave balm.

I appreciate any suggestions on brush and scent rotations.

:sport026::sport026::sport026::sport026::sport026::sport026::sport026:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    MR41, Screwtape, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

That sounds like a great rotation! By dedicating a color coded brush to each soap you'll keep track of how well they are breaking in. What's your impression of the Azur Lime soap and balm? Good post shave feel? Does the balm scent hold on for couple hours, all day?

I have the Red, Green, & White tubbed soap, Green AS & White Balm, and Green Preshave. All great products with plans to fill in the missing products to do the total package shaves. Red Preshave & Splash are mt first priority. Omega brushes are among my favorites and breaking one in is the best part. My #20248 is similar to your 49's but chromed handle and dyed bristles to imitate badger - big ole fatty knot that lathers well in a bowl. I've found I more prefer the handle and knot of the Omega Pro 10098. It fits my hand just right.

Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I have the brush pictured in this photo now, along with the similar long-handled brush #276 also with an Omega 49 knot. Great brushes. Fabulous knots. I palm lathered them and let them dry for several days in a row during the first week to get rid of the animal smell and speed the bristle break-in period. They are now completely scentless and are absolutely superb performers. I can't say enough about the quality of the Omega 49 knots (or about Jim @Jayaruh's craftsmanship on the handles...)

Like @RyX, I think it sounds like a great rotation. Matching the brush handle colours to the soaps will help keep track of the break-in. I would be very interested to hear your views on the new Proraso scents -- Cypress & Vetyver, Wood & Spice, and Azur Lime. I have the other four in cream (white, blue, red and green) and the white in a soap tub. I have been wondering about adding the others to the inventory...

12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

do you have a link for that brush?

13. DesertTime

Wow, beautiful brush. Do you have a website where I could look at your brushes?

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Jim does. He's an Approved Vendor here at TSD.
    You can see lots of information right HERE!

Keithmax and DesertTime like this.
  15. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

DesertTime and RyX like this.
  16. DesertTime

17. Easy Going

Easy Going Member

I really like the Proraso Azur Lime balm. The post shave feel of this balm lasts for several hours. Quite nice.

The scent, however, is subtle and does not seem to linger like the stronger Proraso scents (e.g., Wood and Spice).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Short life is common with most citrus scents in my experience. Good to know they used some of the ingredients of the other balms. I do enjoy the White that matches the tubbed sensitive soap.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have one of his brushes with the Omega knot. outstanding brush.

20. brit

brit in a box

great brush... 20180827_231719.jpg

DaltonGang likes this.