Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Lol, I just figured you were tired of seeing it. I’ve posted pictures of it numerous times in the “what straight did you use today” section.
    Here it is again, sorry to keep you wanting. You are very patient. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Never tired of pics. Unless they are of cats. :happy088::happy088:

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  3. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

:happy097: Gotcha, I’ll remember, No pictures of cats! Lol

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, DaltonGang and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. DaltonGang

It needs a shave. :D

Karl G, AGHisBBS and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

Karl G, AGHisBBS and DaltonGang like this.
  7. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Russian Straight Razor "Osobaya"(Special), made at factory STIZ in Moscow in 1957

Just came in Today .Will clean her up and hone on Wed .
    r57.jpg

Billyfergie, mrchick, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Another nice one from Soviet times.... DSCN5366.JPG

Billyfergie, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  9. Kirasy

Kirasy New Member

I will join in on this thread. I have had a soviet blade "Paketa" from the 1980s that I produced after an hour and a half, a small bevel but coudn't shave a hair for the life of me. I assumed it was a dud but after going through this thread, I realized Soviet steel may just be harder then anything else I have touched by several hand folds. So I have been grinding away at it for longer now and my little even bevels have exploded into a large wavy mess, however there is light at the end of the tunnel. One little spot on the heel is starting to shave real well. Will post picture when its done.

10. DaltonGang

Wow, first post, and it only took a year to do it. Welcome.
    As for the Paketa, and its wavy blade. Just use a 400-500 grit stone, to set a "Pre-Bevel". This will take a lot of the time consuming work out. Make sure you tape the spine, and keep a close eye on the tape. Use a medium pressure, and lighten up, towards the end. The lower grit stones will chew through the tape. Change the tape often, especially, before you hit the 3k plus stones.
    Hope this helps.

11. cristiss

cristiss Member

Just arrived today from Mr mlys7884 in Ukraine (very nice guy) two soviet straight razors to compensate for my lost beautiful three pin nos STIZ Vostok 3 made in 1969 (thrown by my wife - she does not understand my passion for straights). Anyhow my two new friends are STIZ Raketa 1971 and Trud Yahta 1967 - soviet straight razors are so underrated.

The first two pictures are made by the seller, the last two I made just to show the grind

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.1.JPG 5.1.JPG

12. DaltonGang

Nice razors. Those should hone up nicely. I have a few, and they take on very sharp edges. FYI, they are made of hard steel, and might take a little more time to hone.
    BTW, welcome to The Shave Den, being this is your first post. It took you a while. :eatdrink047:

\

13. cristiss

cristiss Member

For sure it takes more time to hone them, Naniwa Professional 1000 grit is essential if you hone soviet steel. The hardest to hone for me is a STIZ from the 80's, the grind is asymmetrical (bad quality control) but some parts of the edge have started to become very sharp, I just don't have the time to hone it properly. My lost nos STIZ Vostok 3 made in 1969 had a perfect grind and I honed it relatively easy.

PS: I am not new to this forum or any other shaving forums, I started many years ago before they appeared, Straight Razor Place Yahoo Group. I rarely post but I have learned so much. I shave every day with a straight razor, I started using one when when I was 18 years old, learned from an old barber - not a very good one unfortunately, now I am 37. I wander how many members like me are there - I feel like I should be more involved here.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Edison Carter, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Share your experiences, to help others learn. At least that's how I feel. Maybe it is time to lock your blades up, until the wife respects them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  15. cristiss

cristiss Member

I will try to do that.

Karl G likes this.
  16. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Now you have to get back Vostok-3...this one is just two years older than your was :)

DSCN3521f.JPG

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  17. cristiss

cristiss Member

Mr mlys7884,

It's getting very hard not to press the red button

18. aheyev

aheyev New Member

Actually Vostok-3 had at least 3 variations.
    This one on the photo is the youngest one ~1965-1971
    The other had a cheaper handle ~mid 70th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

Welcome, to your first post. And please let us know more about some of our Russian Razors. Where are you located, and What are your experiences with them??

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. cristiss

cristiss Member

My lost Vostok-3 had also 3 pins, black scales but the blade had a very pronounced smile, the grinding was perfect. I still miss it....

PS: I pushed the red button and got the one with yellow scales together with a 1965 Extra

DaltonGang likes this.