What was your Dad's shaving kit?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Mar 28, 2018.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My dad always used the orange and white Bic disposables, barbasol shave cream and British Sterling to finish up.

He mentioned using a three piece (probably a tech) when he was in the military during the 1960's. He has no interest in wet shaving, and can't understand why I like it.

Paul Turner and MacDaDad like this.
  2. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

In boot, we all had to purchase a Gillette Tech for our display razor. I did not ever shave with it, and if memory serves me correct, I think I used a slim but always with foam and I'd guess that to be Noxema menthol. No aftershave, that would really smart, so it was shave and coldwater rinse.. And besides, if you were ever in formation with ANY SCENT on your being... Your ass rear end was grass and the drill sergeant was the lawn mower.. ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Zykris likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Dad always used an electric 3 headed rotary then electic after shave. He only needed to shave every other day or so unlike me. I used it a few times when I started having to shave. That razor and I parted ways when I had to buy a new one for him because both my face and it burnt up.
    I went to single blade disposables and canned shaving cream and I bought him a new razor about every 3 or 4 years until he passed. He liked the ones that plugged in and hated the rechargable ones.
    tp

MacDaDad likes this.
  4. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I just ordered some gear for my dad for his birthday. He shaves with carts and I'm not sure if he is really interested in wet shaving, but for many, if you are not into it, you may not spend the money to try it right and "pamper" yourself. You just go with the flow. He is semi retired and hasn't fully gave up working, so he has a little more personal time on hand. I hope he likes and enjoys the gift. I bought him:

Rockwell 6C, RR Moster Brush, XXX Shave soap & AS, Proraso Pre & Post Cream, 100 Astra green blades, and an alum block.​

Steve

MacDaDad likes this.
  5. MacDaDad

Well you don't want to spoil him now.. ;)

Smooth Steve likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Must have been before Bulldog was introduced. :)

MacDaDad likes this.
  7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Schick Injector, Barbasol and Skin Bracer. In his later years he had to switch to an electric. Wish I still had the his injector (since I learned with it).

MacDaDad likes this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My dad used electric razors or cheap disposables. Shaving was a necessity for him and not something he enjoyed. But he never had facial hair or a beard of any type. He shaved daily but did it quickly. I think he used Old Spice aftershave but now uses cheap splashes from Dollar General that are probably a Brut knock-off.

He is well aware of my shaving hobby and brought me a bunch of equipment after one of his uncles passed away. He's content with cheap disposables still even after I've offered to set him up with a nice kit.

MacDaDad likes this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Last thing I could remember dad suing was a sensor razor. I remember him using some kind of gel or foamy cream from a can.
    Used old spice or brut aftershave.

MacDaDad likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's one of those questions I wish I'd asked my Mom before her health got real bad. I seem to recall he liked using electric razors, liked the Musk fragrance, and Mennen.

MacDaDad likes this.
  11. paul M

paul M New Member

Wilkinson sword Empire and a Rolls Razor . I used to look in awe at these. I do wish l had them, although l have 20 Rolls ,3 Wilkinson's and 3 Valets But l would love to use his now. Going to leave these to my son plus my Jagger 89. Parker 26.and the Ming Shi copy of a Merkul Future (which cost 6 of your dollars but the engineering is great) But can some one tell me why the Fatboys cost so much money on eBay?

MacDaDad likes this.
  12. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

When I was young my father used an adjustable Gillette. It had the black and silver handle, he also used the canned shave cream. He still has that razor and also a tto chrome Gillette. Now he uses carts

MacDaDad likes this.
  13. MacDaDad

Long handled or middie handled Black Beauty. One of my favorite razors too. And I believe we had access to those before they were sold to the general public. Like back in (the Nam) 68? I have to admit that my mind may have been a bit foggy back then. ;)

Back then we all used the canned shave cream cause no one had a brush. :)

Paul76 likes this.
  14. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

He was stationed in Italy for a few years starting around 64 so it may be from then I’ll have to ask him.

MacDaDad likes this.
  15. MacDaDad

Some guys had all the luck. ;)

16. taffboy

taffboy New Member

Imperial leather.Gillete adjustable never seen my dad use any after shave .

17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I recall him using a Schick injector in the early 70's (likely an E) which I learned with. During his last 10 years or so, his eyes and motor skills went south so he had to switch to a electric .

18. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Used to watch my Dad and paternal Grandpa shave back when I was a boy.

Dad used a Stick Schick injector (which I always thought was really cool), then a Norelco Triple Header, then back to blades with Gillette Good News! disposables, then for many years he shaved with BiC single blade disposables. He went on to use a Braun foil shaver shortly after they began being heavily promoted in the USA, then went back to the BiC. I introduced him to triple-blade disposables maybe ten years ago and he's currently shaving with the Dollar General triple-blades.

He's always shaved with Edge Gel for Sensitive Skin as long as I can remember (1973). Aftershaves included Hai Karate, Avon Wild Country, and Brut 33.

My paternal Grandpa always used Old Spice soap and mug, a flimsy old shave brush, and followed up the shave with Old Spice A/S. I think he shaved with a Trac II.

Dad and Grandpa shave/shaved every day, first thing. I've never, ever seen either of them in need of a shave!

19. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I don’t recall the DE razor that he used before he changed to carts, but I do recall him using Old Spice in an Old Spice mug and Palmolive shave sticks. He probably used other stuff over the years, but I remember those...and Brut aftershave. He always had a bottle of Brut.

And he recently gave me this DE that he was issued when he joined the army 50 odd years ago. It has seen better days, but it also travelled all over the place over a very long career.

[​IMG]