11/16 French Razor Le Hyalin

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by M14Shooter, Sep 3, 2018.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Picked this razor up for $3.00 Blade only .Original owner could not hone it to a shave ready edge .

Razor was made by P. Fritiss in Paris . Blade is marked Veritas .Box is marked Le Hyalin

Took over an hour to set bevel using 1 K Sharpton Glass .Progressed with Sharpton Glass up to 8 K.
    Switched to my J-Nat to Finish the edge .This was some very hard French steel .

For scales I selected a used pair of horn .If I like this razor I may put some fancy new scales on her .But she has to earn a new pair of shoes .Plan on shaving with her in the morning .
    rps20180903_184647_698.jpg rps20180903_184811_569.jpg

Shojo510, AGHisBBS, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Those scales should look fine, once shaved down to shape, sanded, and polished. You won't even need to take the pins out. I would use a Dremel sander, to shape it, then sand all the way up to 2000+ grit paper, in progression.

Oh, be sure to use a few layers of electrical tape, on the edge. Just in case.

3. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Thats what I plan on doing .Looking forward to she how she shaves .Pops arm hair like crazy ! .Restored two razor Today .Ran out of time to completely finish scales .Tomorrow is another day .;)

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent work today. I have those days, where i do nothing but restlre. Honing takes more time, and is much more tedious.