Number of passes

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Engblom, Sep 5, 2018.

?

Besides some optional touch-up, how many passes are you doing?

1. One pass

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Two passes

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Three passes

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Four or more passes

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

It always surprise me that some are using more than two passes (once WTG and once ATG) for a shave. I begun to wonder how the number of passes are distributed among our members and if I am in minority. For test I did a three pass shave today and I found my skin slightly more irritate than after a normal two pass shave.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I generally use three passes. I could just do two with a little clean up on my neck, but figure I might as well do a third since I have a brush full of shaving soap. This gives me a bbs shave without any irritation.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Engblom, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I do WTG, XTG and ATG and then do some touch up. So 3+. My beard grows in all sorts of crazy directions so I have to be diligent with my approach. For me it's about gradual hair removal and zero pressure. BBS, no weepers and no irritation. Works for me. As with most everything shaving related, YMMV.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It's two for soap-shaving, one for cream/foam shaving.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Assuming I'm using a DE or SE - three plus clean up fiddling. My 1st pass is generally WTG going N to S on cheeks, but S to N below jaw line. After some experimenting I've found my 2nd to be ATG and opposite of the previous. A full XTG from ears to nose, & slant style Gillette Slides on my neck could be the finish. Depending on how much lather I have left a couple clean up buffs around my chin, and usually another ATG here and there, especially under my jaw near my ears.

My target is a high DFS with no nicks or irritation. Preference leans toward aggressive razors and sharp blade - Fat Boy on 9 and a Feather blade.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

This varies quite a bit from person to person, from what I can see. One pass works for me, but legs & underarms (both hair & skin) are very different from a man’s whiskers.

Screwtape, Engblom, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Mostly two passes lately. Unless I'm going for an extra smooth shave or when I want to pamper myself a bit. :)

But mostly two passes suffice to obtain a BBS shave or something very close to that. ;)

Engblom, Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

One pass.
    I would like for the second pass to be worthy of doing, but it's not because the wiskers grow to fast.

If I need to be clean in the evening, I just shave again, one pass, then go on.

Unless I'm trying a new razor,
    I like to use a good slant razor and a feather blade thats used no more than twice.
    tp

9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

2 passes for me. The way my beard grows I have to do an XTG followed by an ATG with a bit of touch up along the jaw line. Have tried WTG but my beard lies close to the skin and just isn't worth it. Anything else just won't work for me

10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

One pass for me, I'm looking for comfort.

Engblom and Frijolero like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    One pass WTG plus touchups for me. I wear a full beard, so it's just shaving the cheeks and neck. The beard maintenance takes longer than the shave does, but my wife likes me with a beard.

The things men do to keep the ladies happy. :)

Engblom, Frijolero and brit like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

FTFY

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I find that with my excellent technique, I get a great shave with just two passes. Sometimes, I could easily get by with one pass, but I have a brush full of lather, so I go for number two.

macaronus, Engblom and Frijolero like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Most of the time, it's two passes with touch up. But each pass, WTG and ATG also includes XTG. It keeps me from doing three full passes with any touch up.

15. brit

brit in a box

i generally do 2 combination - first with the grain ,second across/against as needed. then some touch ups which sometimes turns into a third.
    if i am using a tech razor it takes 3 passes...

16. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

I very rarely do more than two passes (I only ever tend to when testing a new razor or blade).

Each pass consists of a mix of WTG and ATG as this suits my face better. I gave up the idea of getting a BBS years ago and my skin has thanked me ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macaronus, RyX, Engblom and 2 others like this.
  17. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Three passes for me. I could probably cut that down if the need presented itself. But I prefer to give myself plenty of time, take my time and enjoy it.

macaronus, RyX, Engblom and 2 others like this.
  18. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My hair growth is crazy i cant really control going atg, wtg, xtg. But two passes and a little cleanup usually does the trick, i have thick growth oily skin which makes it hard to soften the hair and sensitive skin, so to many passes cause irritation.

RyX, Engblom and brit like this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I do first two passes (WTG & ATG) with lather, then a combo (XTG & Touch up) third pass with just water and whatever soap is left on my face. Normally I get a DFS sometimes a BBS, but always irritation/nick free, :happy088:

RyX, brit and Engblom like this.
  20. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

For all of you who do only one pass: In what direction do you shave?

I have a few times tried one pass shave and the the grown out stubble is sharper than from a two pass shave. It is like a two pass shave creates softer tips.

AGHisBBS, Terry and brit like this.