My 60's model Gillette slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I found a stash of older gillette razors a few days ago in a junk store for 20 and some change. Not having any pre me razors, I decided to take them home.
    After cleanning and some soaking, they still look old but seem to be mechanicaly sound no bent caps or doors so I will try them one at a time until I get through all of them.
    One of them is a adjusable slim date code J4, not quite pre me but close enough.
    I had a persona blade that needed used so instead of a feather I decieded to use it up.
    Not being affraid any more of new tools I set it on 9 and set to work.
    The first stroke was an adjustment run for me. It was very easy to find this razors' sweet spot, half way through the first stroke I nailed it. A nice clean stroke with no miss or stragglers left behind. I continued with the right side and my poor memory brought me back to (don't hate me) my parker 99. I like the parker but like most tto's it has its quarks. I find that blades in tto's have a weird blade feel almost like the blade can start vibrating or somthing I can't describe very well.
    I don't think it's a bad thing just something they all seem to do and the slim is no different.
    Back to the slim, my parker always gives me a fine shave and the slim is no different. This razor is old but seems to hold its own even at over 50 years old. The rest of the deed went as expected, like an old friend you haven't seen for years. No learning curve at all on this razor. Nice clean, smooth and pleasent like I've used it for ages. Hope the others shave as well as this one has. :) 20180908_162022.jpg

dmshaver, BamaT, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That razor is not old. Over 90 is the sweet spot. 100 and older even better. Glad it worked good for you!!

Linuxguile and Terry like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

This doesn't count as "old" but.
    I have a Gem Junior head that needed a real cleaning I got in the gillette stuff. It was just a head so I put a wcs heavy brass handle on using a stainless bolt with the head cut off. I know they used light bakelite handles on them but I bought some se blades at the drug store and used it once. It works so well I'm looking for one, might have to ebay one.... or two;)
    Thanks
    tp

Linuxguile and MntnMan62 like this.
  4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I am not a big fan of TTO’s either but decided to bid on a Slim H3, my birth quarter. I got it, cleaned it up and actually found that I like how it shaved. It is now a regular fixture in my rotation along with my other 3 piece razors. The Slim is a great razor and I tend to set it on 7. Glad to hear you like it as well.

AGHisBBS, Bobcat and Terry like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Now your talking! One like this?

[​IMG]

They also put a metal handle on it.

6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

20180908_172819.jpg 20180908_172906.jpg
    My FrankinGem...junior that is.....

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Linuxguile and Terry like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I've become a 3 piece OC slant kinda guy, but that combo is hard to find. Phoenix sells a bakelite OC slant I fell in like with.
    I still go to "new to me" razors like a kid at christmas.:happy108:

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My children woud reply...
    OMG! OMG!!.....
    But I'm older and more reserved...

Not realy..
    OMG!!
    Are you kidding me?
    Is this for real?
    I would realllllly like it if you can see clear to make a deal.:)

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No deal needed..If I can find it you can have it. Just gotta figure out with all my stuff where it is...

AGHisBBS and Terry like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thank you x 10

tp

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Your welcome..... if I can find the thing.

AGHisBBS and Terry like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Just a little story behind the gem junior head.
    It was in with the other razors I wanted.
    They were going to toss it because it was so corroded it was a true mess. Not knowing just what it was I googled the words on the little junk peice. When I found out what it was I could not let it be trashed. Taking it home it was truly a total mess, not knowing if I could save it. I tried cleaners and scrubbers, nothing seemed to clean it to a usable state. I finaly went to an auto parts store and got some 600 wet dry, deep breath, sand papper. Under running water I slowly cleaned the little guy to what it is now, shave ready clean.
    This may not be the prefered meathod but it was just coroded junk turned into a quite usable razor. Now if I get a proper handle, well....
    :happy093:
    You know......
    Thanks for reading
    tp

AGHisBBS and MntnMan62 like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Have you ever used a Krona? I didn't like the SS I tried, but I do like the Krona. Actually I'd like to get a red tip SS but not for the prices they are going for lately.

17. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Generally called chatter. Are you aware of the extra quarter turn to lock down the slim? I wasn't the first time I tried mine, and the chatter was awful. The extra quarter turn made all the difference in the world.

Terry likes this.
  18. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

This, or try setting 7 instead of 9. If the razor has developed a little extra play during it's lifetime this may help to hold the blade steady.

9 feels similar on my Fatboy - 7 gives much less "chatter"

Frijolero likes this.
  19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried a Krona. I do have a Super Speed and it is a respectable razor but it's just not aggressive enough for me. So it sits in a bin with other shaving gear that doesn't get used. And I'm honestly not looking for any more razors other than my holy grail. Gillette Old Type with the Bulldog Handle. Too expensive for me right now but am hoping that I can find one in the wild for cheap.

BigMark83 and Terry like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i haven t gone passed 7 on my fatboy or slim...or used anything more than a redtip... i like the milder razors...