Slim settings compared to other Gillette razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark83, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

You two can split it :signs136:

2. brit

brit in a box

i remember another thread where a member compared other gillettes to settings on a fatboy. techs 2-3 ,aristocrats 4-5 and red tip 6-7. i could be off a little , i can t find the original post so far...

3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Haha, I agree with that! It is all about the wording - for you, they don't, but they can.

Looking at brit's post above, you don't get a bad shave with a Tech, a better one with an Aristocrat and the best one with a Red Tip. You can get BBS in a couple of passes with any of them.

BigMark83, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Sounds like something I wrote. I'll take credit, since I've said similar things. I think techs are a bit milder, 1-2, and most super speeds are about 3. Everything else I agree with.

According to Gillette literature, the numbers are thousandths of an inch. Setting one is .001" and setting nine is .009".

According to an old guy who used to do machine work for Gillette, they checked the tolerances with stacked blades. One was setting one, nine blades was setting nine. It's fairly accurate, within a blade or two in most cases.

As for direct razor to razor comparison, it's hard because these kinds of things are so subjective. It's hard to compare a TTO razor to a 3 piece design.

BamaT, BigMark83, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

thank you. i was hoping you would see this and set it straight,...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. I gave you the props!

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nahh. The bloomer can have it. His poor bloomer club is such a dissapointment already....

Dansco likes this.