My 60's model Gillette slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

No I did not know about the quarter turn.
    This morning I set the razor using thre quarter turn, that made the chatter much less. The chatter is not gone, but greatly reduced. I am careful about how tight I twist the handles so I wouln't have found thar on my own. I still have it at a 9 setting but the blade has 2 shaves on it so a fair comparison will be a new feather blade next time.
    Thank you

tp

Frijolero likes this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Run it on 9 and be done.
    No reason for an "adjustment" I believe that @wchnu has a video about the super adjustables.
    Also, I would be remiss if I did not ask if you have ever been across the street to read the forum there?
    If you like the single edge stuff, have a look.

Terry likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I like most razors I have tried and a SE is on the radar along with a good strait. I can see why there are adjutable razors but I found I like mine in high gear with a feather blade. The gem is the first se I got and that was by chance. It shaves nice, the blade is stiff like the slants I have but selection of blades is limited so I get what I can. I have the RR v2 in the wish list with a fatip pico. Just waiting to get through the other razors I have not used yet.
    Thanks

tp

4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok
    New to me 64 gillette slim on #9 with a new feather blade, and that 1/4 turn too.
    This will be in the rotation of razors!
    I'm surprised by how well it works.

I'm a 1 pass cold water shaver, only get 2 shaves with a blade. I don't get 3 unless I forget to change the blade. IF the blade gets to pulling and the like, I change the blade, even if I'm more than half way through. I don't like the irritatoin/pain/blood of a dull blade.
    Only 7 months into WS and thats where I've landed.
    Every one,
    Thanks for all of the help!
    tp

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh,
    I'll have a hundred feathers, a $1.99 fatboy, and an amici on ice please, to go. ;)
    Thanks
    tp

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I found a bakelite handle. The metal handle I have is nickle plated not brass color. Interested in either.

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

YES,
    The baklite would be the one I would choose. I have other metal ones but I like the bakelite on the phoenix oc slant I have.
    tp

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome. Pop me a addy and I will get it out to you soon!!

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

20180920_173502.jpg
    YES!
    WCHNU
    Thanks!

tp

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Frijolero and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok
    Going one further I filed one top down as you can see side by side.
    20180922_173213.jpg

Then I screwed it to a maggard slant head I bought making a good handle for it.

20180922_173339.jpg

Easy, cheap, nice
    Thanks again for the ideal.
    ;)
    tp

Frijolero and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That makes for an awesome cheap handle.

Terry likes this.