NEW Derby Premium blades on the market

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Best 3pc DE out there.

2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

This again shows how shaving is YMMV. Derby (the old green) blades are having trouble to slice my beard, so the razor really begins to make small "leaps" when it fails to slice and glides above the hair and then suddenly it is catching some whiskers to pull out by root. This all means less precision. If I combine this behavior with an aggressive razor, I will surely have some weepers. I never nick myself with sharp blades like Feather as I can keep good precision in my movements. One of my favorite compination is Feather + R41.

3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

For those who think the Fatip OC is too aggressive; try the new model.

4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

these Derbys are a whole other animal vs the standard ones

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

OC doesn't affect aggressiveness. Is the geometry different?

6. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I love Derby blades. Not sure if this would be an improvement for me or not, but I would love to give them a try.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Mark Booth

Mark Booth New Member

The Derby Premium Blades have been out for awhile and I was an early user of these blades and I’m still— VERY pleased with their performance in fact!

YRMV— I find the Derby Premium DE blade (characteristically speaking) to have a similar sharpness level and smoothness comparable to Astra Superior Platinum, Voskhod, Treet Platinum SS, Gillette 7’Oclock Yellow Russian... maybe a slight-tick bias toward mild and smooth but in the mid-range of sharpness. (nicely balanced)

I have a course (barb-wire beard) that is fast growing but my skin is sensitive to certain soaps and prone to irritation. I shave nearly everyday of the year and have been a wet-shaver for well over 20 years.

As one who sharpens straight razors routinely, I utilize a professional Ziess magnifying optic to examine blade edges and determine the smoothness of my edge and bevel refinement. In my opinion, the Derby Premium Blade clearly shows a very impressive and uniform refinement. My most negative (superficial observation) is that the ink stamp on the blade is only fair in appearance. This has always bothered me particulrly with the Personna USA Blades but the Personna Red Israeli Blades have such a nice stamped finish— a huge marketing and branding perception of quality. (Going the extra step— visual appeal)

At the end of the day you may have a very different impression of the Derby Premium Blade than mine, but from my standpoint, I am impressed and these blades— they are in my top-tier favored blades rotation.

Mark
    Seattle, WA
    USA

Edison Carter, brit and Shadow Shaver like this.
  8. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

The new parker blades that came out a few months ago are rebranded derby premium, and supposedly the latest batches of derby extra are better the previous blade so i assume they have finally tuned up the machine lol, i was really surprised with how well the premiums shave.

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

Anyone else compared this to the parker blades? They should be the same, right?

10. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

The regular Derby blades aren't for me. But I would give any new blade they make a try.

11. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

derby regular is pretty much my standard blade.I just got a pack of the premium blades in a sampler and will give them a shot in the next week or two.

12. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

I just finished using a parker aka rebranded premium. It's a middle of the road blade to me and it gave me some slight irritation.

It still got the job done quite efficiently but it's neither as sharp nor smooth like Astra and Gillette.

13. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Premium is much more better than Derby Extra blades, IMO.
    It is an over average blade but there are much more better options in the market.
    USA made Personna Blue Lab blades are great. I think you ,people live in USA are very lucky. What a wonderful blade.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

First time I tried the new Derby Premium I immediately ordered 100.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like them as well, but only get 1 or 2 shaves from a blade.