Fatboy restoration question.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Robstreperous, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Robstreperous

Robstreperous Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I've got a question for anyone who might know the best way for me to handle this restoration question on my 1960 F2 Fatboy.

So I picked this razor up on the bay a little while ago and it cleaned up very much better than could have hoped. No dings, no scratches, mechanically it's firm and sound. Really I'm very happy with this acquisition.

The one thing I'd like to restore though is the notched cutout that indicates the selector's postion. It should look red but at present it looks black. Using a jewelers loupe I can see flecks of red still exist.

So 2 questions:

- Assuming the red paint still exists what's the best way for me to try cleaning the area? In case the paints still there under old dirt and soap I'd like to try to clean the area without scratching off any paint (or is it plating?) that might still be under there.

- If the red paint ( plating? ) really has worn off, any suggestions for how to touch up the area and restore it to red?

Thanks all.

RyX likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Spray with Scrubbing Bubbles, let sit, then scrub the notch with a toothbrush. That should de-crud it because the red really shouldn't have gone anywhere.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:
    I've done pretty much the same with dozens of vintage Gillettes. Haven't tried Scrubbing Bubbles. I've used very warm water and Dawn dish liquid. Let it soak until the water cools, and scrub with an old toothbrush. If you should wish to lubricate it, a couple drops of mineral oil down the top, up the bottom, and anywhere moving parts meet seems to quiet any squeaks.

There are tutorials detailing how to disassemble these. It takes some specialized tools and you run the risk of bricking your 58 year old prize. If you visit B&B, look for post by CaptMurphy at vintagerazorrepair@gmail.com. He's reported to be The Man at breakdown / clean/ assembling vintage razors.

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and DaltonGang like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've restored, probably 30 or so Gillette Fat Boys, and have tried about every method out there. Bring water to a boil, add a liberal amount of Palmolive(seems to work better than Dawn), add Razor, and let it sit, until cool.
    Scrub with soft toothbrush. If still crudded up, reheat the water only in a microwave, until about to a boil, and repeat. Usually it only takes 2 cycles, three at the most, and I have acquired the nastiest of them out there.

Screwtape, wristwatchb, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. Robstreperous

Thanks guys. I'm going to have a go at it later today.... Will let you know how it turns out. Pretty psyched about this. For what it's worth... I picked up a different one on a whim before the F2 I wrote about above.
    From the photos on the bay it seemed like there might be some plate loss and the seller couldn't date it. I thought maybe it could be a candidate for replating.

I could tell it was an E2 or earlier though because the nickel collar under the adjustment dial was present. Long story longer... The plate loss turned out to be old soap build up. It took a little bit more than a soak and detergent to clean up. I used an old worn brush head on an electric toothbrush and the automotive plastic polish (the stuff you use to take light haze off of your headlights).

It cleaned up beautifully. It is indeed an E2. Nice crisp numbers. Bright red dial. No dings to speak of, maybe a light scratch on the inside of the bottom plate. Mechanism works beautifully (used the mineral oil trick thanks @RyX).

Once I get some Flitz to shine it up I'm putting it back on the bay and maybe it'll pay for that F2 I'm restoring.

How much fun is this?

6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

WHERE'S THE PICS?!?!?!

RyX likes this.
  7. Robstreperous

Here's the F2 after 1 pass with the Palmolive / toothbrush. It's improved but the color still doesn't pop red when you look at it under normal magnification.

I'm going to try another couple of passes and see how it turns out.

Maybe the lack of pop has something to do with the alignment of the raised indicator. I see it's a little off center. Perhaps it's casting a shadow.

[​IMG]

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

If I recall (couldn't find the details photo...) the tiny red indicator is also the spring that hold the adjuster ring at each numbered click position. In this drawing it's number 64/70.
    fatboy patent.jpg
    If you don't mind a cosmetic fix, take your Fat Boy to a discount store like Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, or Dollar General. Look for a close match in the nail polish department. I scored a very close match for a Red Tip knob.
    Red for a Red Tip.gif

9. brit

brit in a box

i rarely use my fatboy or slim,but when i store them they squeak and creak like an old brass bed frame. what should i use to lubricate them while they are stored? i have used baby oil in the past but it builds up in the cases.,thank you in advance...

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Rather than get it all dripping wet, use a tooth pick to apply the baby oil. Maybe a quick, light detergent exterior wipe down of the razor after a careful lubing to keep that case looking fresh.

For those who didn't read the ingredients, baby oil is scented mineral oil.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

BlaydRunner, Enrico, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i will try that thank you..

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  12. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I wish I could find one at an "affordable" price.

brit and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Visit every antique and thrift store around you. Chat folks up and leave your name and phone number on their bulletin board or Wish List book. I've done it enough that when I walk in they know "that razor guy" is back. I pass up most any razor with a price higher than $20. If it's in really go condition I might make an offer. There are others in my area that I'm competing with so it's blind luck if I beat them to the deals.

Last Fat Boy I scored was at an Estate sale. Walked in, bypassed all the rooms of the house going straight to the bathroom. Bingo - a '59 Fat Boy with a bit of masking tape showing $4.00. It cleaned up nice & shaved well and I traded it to another TSD member.

BlaydRunner, brit and Frijolero like this.
  14. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Yes, keep looking.

An E1 (1959) with an original case sold on eBay (after just one bid) on September 7th for $10. Cheap ones are out there.

BlaydRunner and RyX like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's how I'm going to find my Toggle. Not on the bay, but over looked by other folks and cheap. Right now I'm watching an auction for a couple of "metal shavers" on a less traveled auction site. One is a standard Gillette Flare Tip. Nothing special since I quit buying them. Had 3 or 4 at once so it's not a thrill. The other looks just like a Fat Boy, but the adjustment spinner is down near the lock down knob. Commonly call a Bottom Dial Fat Boy. With two days and counting - the pair is up to over six hundred bucks. Too rich for my User Grade blood.

BlaydRunner, brit and Frijolero like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I have been watching that one also. Can’t wait to see what it goes for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BlaydRunner, brit and RyX like this.