Odd Gem Lather Catcher

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joewa, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I was fishing in the bay hoping to catch a Gem Junior Lather catcher and this arrived in what the net dragged in. Its a Wedge/forged era Gem razor, based on the Z marks i can assert it was made after 1903 and probably prior to JR arriving in 1907. its odd in that unlike other 1901 models it has hinge across the entire back of the razor and there is no button open it. to open it you pull on the hinge. I have been unable to find another example like it or reference to it in A Safety Razor Compendium.

Pictures are worth 1000 words can't wait to get a wedge adapter and try it out.

Back of razor (note the hinge)

[​IMG]

pulling on hinge to release it to open

[​IMG]

open for cleaning

[​IMG]

Front view

[​IMG]
    Top View

[​IMG]

Top View with the wedge holders up

[​IMG]

brit, Jorvaljr, gorgo2 and 11 others like this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

It looks almost like that is a prototype for an "improved" lather catcher. Possibly made not by Gem (at least not the hinge attachment) but by some hopeful home inventor. The hinge looks a bit oversized and clumsy for the razor's overall design.

Joewa and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Maybe, but it is really cool. I'd be sticking a wedge in that baby and putting it to work. Nice catch.

4. spot705

spot705 Active Member

Truly a work of art!
    gem ad.jpg

RyX likes this.
  5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Agreed. If I didn't say it before (and I didn't) that is a really neat find and a great addition to any collection. I bet Fuzzy @wchnu is jealous...

brit and RyX like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If it was, it was replated afterwards, you can see the remnants of gold plating on the back of the hinge and the wear to the hinge is consistent to the rest of the razor.

Most homebrew modifications are not so carefully done. I would be more inclined to believe that it was likely manufactured that way.

brit, Joewa and Screwtape like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A Zinn. I have not seen one exacally like that! Very neat. Yes a bit jealous myself. Looks like it will take a modern blade too. Awesome find!

brit, Zykris and Joewa like this.
  8. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Its possible its a prototype or a small numbers production. Based on the front view i am sure it must have been done by Gem/ASR. I strongly doubt a homebrew modder would have worked so hard to create the trade dress ( the z's) where the jaws close.

brit likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very much not a homebrew I am sure.

brit likes this.
  10. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

My work here is done.. It appears a standard blade will not work :( .. time to work on remediating my lack of a wedge :).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It looks like it has blade stops. Usually that will work with a modern blade. What keeps it from working?

12. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Lack of courage and a double width spine (normal for the vintage)..

I am now even more curious about its place in the evolution of the safety razor perhaps a missing link or something extra fancy after the juniors came out.

Not a shelf queen.

[​IMG]

brit, BigD and Zykris like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is before the juniors came out. Love that handle.

brit likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

As long as the blade is held tight it should be a great shave by the way.

brit likes this.
  15. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Long delayed update.

It does shave well.. based on my research I am guessing its a 1904

1904-Gem-_57.jpg

brit likes this.
  16. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

What an interesting, and intricate design! Although I'm still confused over what I'm looking at.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was able to use this razor some. It was a veddy cool shave. Here is a thread that I posted it in. There is also a couple of videos.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/trying-out-a-zinn.60890/

Terry, brit and BigD like this.