Insane! What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

It's the number of reviews the bidder has received. So that $1025 bid is from someone who's never been reviewed. Either a shill account or a virgin with more dollars than sense.

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

As an eBay seller, your dream auction consists of two idiots with tons of money and no sense who are both absolutely determined to "win" -- and who both think that as long as bidding is going on, actual market value is still being paid...

Primotenore, DaveL, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Of course value is determined by the buyer. If that eBay seller can get enough takers at those hugely inflated prices then good luck to him.

RyX likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Very laissez faire of you but the impact on the hobby is not inconsequential when acquisition of nice pieces become dominated by collectors or investors rather than shavers.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Looks like someone is playing loose. Making it look like big bids to make it seem like a good buy. I will admit I have nothing but my gut feeling to go on with that.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

When you see sold razors at outlier prices relisted multiple times I'd say you have more than your gut to go on.

wchnu likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

are there any collectors around who know the true worth of an nos fatboy?

RyX likes this.
  8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I see your point but aren't a $1K as new razor and a $40 user grade razor two different markets?

The going price on eBay for a nice, cased Fatboy has been around $40-$60 for a while now and there are still plenty of them out there in that range.

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The $1000 sale is undoubtedly bogus, but I think the point remains valid. Looking at eBay sales I'd put the overage closer to $60 with $40 sales much less frequent. Yes a "nice" Fatboy is still easily obtainable, but prices for the mint/minty still in the ridiculous range to me for what is a common razor.

10. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

A NOS Fatboy with all of it’s unused accoutrements is about $200 to $250.

Primotenore, RyX and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

thats cool.that makes my very very nice clean cased early f-2 a fair deal at $85.only the instructions were missing..

RyX likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

To avoid absolutely no corrosion I'd simply store it in a humid location. Or just place it at the sea shore. Nice 'n' salty. Waayyy cheaper. :D

RyX and brit like this.
  13. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

As a razor to use? Not more than the price of a user grade. If you want to pull it out of your safe and fondle it while looking at your auction receipt, the more you paid the better it is? Value & worth are an agreement between seller and buyer but don't reflect reality.

Got a printer and some old yellowed paper? Print this!
    1959 Fat Boy.jpg
    No, it won't be authentic or original, but it will be the data that came with the razor. If you are seeking instructions for vintage razors, check with @jimjo1031. He's gathered an amazing collection of digitized images.

CarlfromMO, brit, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

A razor is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

CrustyCat, mrchick, kfbrady and 2 others like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

brit and jmudrick like this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm willing to start a fistfight at Chuck E Cheese the next time somebody says "supply and demand" in a discussion like this and thinks they're actually adding something to the discussion.

brit and RyX like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Show me one and I will buy it. :)

20. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

RyX likes this.